A poll; your HD weapon of choice - Page 5

A poll; your HD weapon of choice

This is a discussion on A poll; your HD weapon of choice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, seriously, Just handguns. Could probably get out a shotty, or rifle, but would rather not have them laying around. The pistols are easier to ...

View Poll Results: What's your HD weapon of choice?

Voters
624. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handgun

329 52.72%
  • Shotgun

243 38.94%
  • Rifle/Carbine

41 6.57%
  • Other, RPG, Claymore, Phaser, etc

11 1.76%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A poll; your HD weapon of choice

VIP Member
    No, seriously, Just handguns.
    Could probably get out a shotty, or rifle, but would rather not have them laying around.
    The pistols are easier to keep out of the way/reach of my young one.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I also voted handguns. My edctlg .500 S&W emergency daily carry two legged bandit bears[gangbanger] gun. Otherwise known as,,,,,,EBG .%)) Bear gun in 2.5 inch barrel 5 shot. PICK THEM UP ONE PIECE AT A TIME.

jfl
    Mossberg 12 ga. short barrel for me
    S&W .357 for her
    UZI if needed.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

AzB
    I've got a shotgun, but in all reality with the adrenaline surging in a panic situation, I would probably grab the pistol. It's always on me, or very nearby. If I happened to be next to the shotgun, or had enough warning to get prepared, then the shotgun would be there.

Once again, the answer depends on the circumstances.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

DC Founder
    My weapon of choice is whatever is the closest to my hand whenever I need it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Broken glass at night...well, let's see. If I am not in the dog house, it would be a 1911 by the bedside. If I am in the dog house (sleeping on the couch), I have another 1911 close there. If I am back on the computer in the puter room, i have a mossberg 500 with buckshot. So, guess it depends on where I happen to be sleeping. While the scenario is true, I done ever sleep on the couch. I decided back in the courting days that if a woman doesnt want to sleep with me that's fine but I have no problem sleeping if someone else is mad at me so I sleep in my bed at all times. Jus sayin...
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

My choice is a Mossberg 500 pump, 18 1/2" barrel, with a pistol grip chambered in .410 with either 000 buck, or Winchester DPX.

Lots of good reasons, few reasons not to.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Winchester 07 .351 WSL?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I have a unloaded .410 shotgun in the case in a downstairs closet, but the pistol I carried all day and laid in the basket next to my wallet vallet is the most convenient. (If the grandchildren are visiting, the pistol is in a lockbox which can be unlocked quickly with a hidden key)
    Stephen - Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 9mm
    Sherry - Taurus 85 38 Special

Pistol (Glock 19) first - easier to move into a blocking position in the hallway while my wife grabs the kids. More readily accessible in a Gunvault as well.

Once we are all in our bedroom, she gets the G19 and I get the shotty out of the larger safe (Rem 870 loaded with #1 buckshot).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Winchester 07 .351 WSL?
    You have a good eye OD*.

Out of sight yet accessible only 5 feet away as I type this. Perhaps an eccentric choice but what a gun! Very smooth and streamlined in configuration, it's completely reliable and its cartridge offers great short range punch with a 180 grain .351 diameter soft point bullet traveling at 1850 fps. An oversized .30 Carbine round! What's not to like?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Depends on what comes around. Person? Whatever is closest. That would usually be my P229R in .40 S&W loaded with Remington Golden Sabers. But it could be an 870 with two of #8 and the rest 00, or an 1100 with 00-slug-00-slug (This would be less than idea for an inside HD scenario, but its not like I won't use it if I am being attacked). I also keep a .303 Lee-Enfield behind the bedroom door for big stuff, Ie; bear, couger, an M1 Garand re-chambered in .308 next to the back door, a Remington Speedmaster, also by the back door, for sniping those darn pocket gophers and magpies in the garden. An Armalite AR-180 upstaris in the living part of the house, and my Dad's 1911, also upstairs.

So, if we get invaded at home: Whatever I can get my hands on. Ideally my SIG.
    Bear: Either the 1100 or the Enfield.
    Coyote bothering the cows: The Garand or the AR-180, although I have taken more shots at coyotes with the Enfield. Ha.
    Cougar: 1100 or Enfield
    Garden thieves: Speedmaster

Basically whatever works best and/or is most accessible.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You have a good eye OD*.

Out of sight yet accessible only 5 feet away as I type this. Perhaps an eccentric choice but what a gun! Very smooth and streamlined in configuration, it's completely reliable and its cartridge offers great short range punch with a 180 grain .351 diameter soft point bullet traveling at 1850 fps. An oversized .30 Carbine round! What's not to like?
    You have excellent taste in firearms, Sir.

I love the old self-loaders that were popular in the gangster era, I have a good friend that has a chopped Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, been trying to talk him out of it for years.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Being fairly well trained with pistols, rifles and shotguns, and having all 3 within reach of my bed, if I need one on a moments notice, it's the shotgun. If not within arms reach of the shotgun, my pistol is on me if I'm out of bed, and I have no problem using that as well.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Break out my throwing knives

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links