A poll; your HD weapon of choice - Page 6

A poll; your HD weapon of choice

This is a discussion on A poll; your HD weapon of choice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* You have excellent taste in firearms, Sir. I love the old self-loaders that were popular in the gangster era, I have ...

View Poll Results: What's your HD weapon of choice?

Voters
624. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handgun

329 52.72%
  • Shotgun

243 38.94%
  • Rifle/Carbine

41 6.57%
  • Other, RPG, Claymore, Phaser, etc

11 1.76%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A poll; your HD weapon of choice

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You have excellent taste in firearms, Sir.

I love the old self-loaders that were popular in the gangster era, I have a good friend that has a chopped Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, been trying to talk him out of it for years.

Takes one to know one. Heh ... heh... !

I too love the old style gangster-era guns that were popular before World War II. My old home town police department kept 3 Winchester Model 1907 .351s into at least the late 1990s. I don't know when they were retired. They put aluminum foil over the glass-fronted gun case that was visible at the rear of the dispatcher's office so I wouldn't see the rifles, because I kept bugging them about selling me the Winchesters. Those .351s were standing there among pump 12 gauge riot guns and AR 15s. They used them too. Was acquainted with a few officers, one of whom told me that he was issued an '07 in a jail break incident to pursue a criminal down the creek that ran through town.

I even have an old "Cartridge Discussion" written up on the .351 S. L. round somewhere in this computer but that's a pretty obscure cartridge for generating much interest.

American Zoot Shooters is a take-off of cowboy action and looks interesting. Can't see myself playing dress-up though so haven't become involved.

Link: http://www.zootshooters.com/

I too would love to pick up a good Remington Model 8 in either .35 Remington or .25 Remington. A grand and admirable John Browning design and one that "ate Winchester's lunch" on auto-rifle sales early in the 20th century. The Models 8 and 81 absolutely creamed the Winchester Self Loading line in the market. The .35 Remington looks like one of the more practical hunting cartridges to ever have been marketed though it receives no press any more. I'm just goofy enough to want to play with the .25 Remington cartridge is all that can be said about wanting that old, obsolete round.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The weapon that I'm most capable with is my carry G19, but it goes in the drawer at bedtime. The G20 (10 rds 10mm) goes ON the night table, and the Saiga 12 and AR 10 stand up adjacent to the night table. At the possible indoor distances, contact to 50 feet, I believe 00 12 ga buck shot offers the best combination of terminal ballistics and rapid target acquisition.
    The 10mm certainly is a formidable round, but a pistol is a poor compromise when a long gun is available, and while it does allow better movement through the house, I expect my American Bulldogs will quickly show the location of the intruder(s), so covert movement will be moot. The AR 10 (20 rds 308), while a personal favorite, requires slightly better fine motor skills to fire the same high probability stopping shots compared to the Saiga 12 (13 rds 12 ga), and in the middle of the night, I can't be assured of maximum skills being available, regardless of weekly training drills.
    All bed side weapons described above are equipped with tritium sights, laser, and streamlights.

OD*
    The Zoot Shooters really interest me, but like you I don't know if I'd care for the "dressing up" part.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I can access my handgun much quicker than a rifle or shotgun, since I have little kids running around and all. If I bunkered us all in my bedroom then I would get a long gun, probably give the black rifle to the wife and take the 500 for myself to cover the door.

Thumbs up ...

Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Pistol, easy access, manuevability.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My two handguns the S&W 9mm and the Rossi .38spl and Mag Light are in close proximity for home self defense.

However, I do have the Universal M-1 carbine with two 30 rd mags at close hand for SD situations. M-1's are my favourite little rifles and I'd love to actually have a "real" GI one, but I don't have the funds right now.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The shotgun hanging on the bed.

AK74.
    Taste the wares, Email.
    G23/442/T85UL

AR15/SS109's
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

20 ga pump, easy for the wife and kids to deploy. Jacking a 3" mag of #5's gives that satisfying buisnesslike KA CHING that says "Lets get it on!" Followed by a slug (just because I can) and so on and so on.... XD 9mm in drawer with 147 gr Hydra Shocks if needed...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I tend to agree with SIXTO on this one. While in most situations, one would naturally choose a long gun if they were knowingly going into danger. However, in reality while at home, in the middle of the night, I'll be grabbing my light mounted Glock 23 and my Fenix LD20. They are kept about a foot away inside the nightstand, the .40 cal Glock is an adequate defensive caliber with a high capacity magazine, and I have both a tac-light mounted on the pistol and a hand held tac-light used for searching and general illumination.

I do however, have a Colt Govt. Carbine loaded with 30 round mag, plus two spare mags of Hornady TAP; and a Mossberg 590 with 20 rounds of 00 buck and slugs in the magazine and mounted on the side of the receiver and stock and kept just inside the bedroom closet, which the wife will be grabbing to use from inside the bedroom from an ensconced position. (Neither of those have a mounted weapon light at this point, however it is a priority for future upgrades).

I also know that as a fallback position, I have the heavy firepower available to me should it be needed in the bedroom with the wife, and that she is well armed in the bedroom.

(I will say that my post above, is for situations in the middle of the night, when waken from sleep and I'm in the bedroom. During waking hours, either the shotgun or the carbine is usually in the living room somewhere close to the sofa so depending on the situation, I may go for that instead).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I've always told myself... if I KNOW there is somebody in the house, I'm grabbing the 500. If I heard a odd noise, but just not sure what it may have been, I'm grabbing the Hk with the TLR-2. Of course this is what I say now. When it really goes down, I'll probably just grab whats available. 500 propped up against the night stand and the Hk is in the night stand.
    Lately I have been think the same thing. If there is a kick at my door, even with a gun on my side, if I have the time, I'm headed for the 20ga. That said, awoken in the middle of the night to a suspicious sound to react quickly, my insticts tell me handgun.

My first choise is always the shotty, but circumstances may force me to choose whatever is closest!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

If I hear a bump in the night (and they disarmed my alarm), I am grabbing the Glock 21 and the iPhone on the bed stand and heading to the walk in closet off the bathroom. I'll dial 911. The closet is sort of "Z" shaped, so if the bad guy walks in expecting me to be in front of the door, I will be off to the side firing away with the 870 loaded with 00 Buck shot. The closet is where all my spare ammo is, so I should be supplied when the zombies come in the door single file. I live by myself, so I dont need to worry about finding the kids or whatever, I just need to hunker down and wait.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links