A poll; your HD weapon of choice

This is a discussion on A poll; your HD weapon of choice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At this time, with kids in the house to protect, a .45 pistol - G21 in the nightstand. In a few years, when it is ...

View Poll Results: What's your HD weapon of choice?

Voters
624. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handgun

329 52.72%
  • Shotgun

243 38.94%
  • Rifle/Carbine

41 6.57%
  • Other, RPG, Claymore, Phaser, etc

11 1.76%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A poll; your HD weapon of choice

VIP Member
    At this time, with kids in the house to protect, a .45 pistol - G21 in the nightstand. In a few years, when it is just the wife and I (and her cats), we can lock the bedroom door and wait with a shotty or rifle. Given the trend in perps to wear protective armor and arrive in multiple numbers, I would vote for the rifle in .223. The 30-06 would be a bit much for this situation and it holds fewer rounds.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Don't get me wrong, I love my pump-action 12ga. There is absolutely NO more intimidating sound in the dark than a 12ga being chambered. But, I KNOW what I can do with my .45, and it's much easier to hold my flashlight in my off hand than it is with the 12ga. (At least, for follow up shots- .45 reloads itself; 12ga doesn't.)

If it were just me and my fiancee in the apartment, I might reach for the 12ga and pump it just to scare BG off. But, I can't exit my room properly/safely with the long barrel of the shot gun.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I always grab my pistol first as it is closest at hand and either roll off the bed to the safe side or lay and listen to see if it really is a threat and see what my dogs think. Rolling off the bed offers me the shotty, another pistol, AR, another flashlight and extra mags. Luckily haven't had to roll off the bed yet but I do i'm grabbing the shotty as I'm a horrible shot when I first wake up.

I know this isn't possible for everyone but if it is I recommend trying it as it very enlightening. I live out in the country and have acess to unlimited acres. I also like to camp so a couple times a year I will go set up my tipee and awake in the middle of the night shooting a preset targets in a shooting safe enviroment. With a shotgun I'm not a great shot when I first wake up with the pistol I think I only put like one of 8 on paper and this was from sitting up postion shooting at a target about 50' away. Realized I need to move closer to my targets but the ground isn't as even as I get closer to the target. Fun drill if your bored and have the space and time.

How many of you have shot at night? How many within seconds of waking up? Its a different ballgame.
    Snider likes this.

VIP Member
    first choice will be the G30 on the nightstand by my pillow or the G21 on the floor (or both ) if time allows I'll get the shotgun
    wife will have her G26 with me too
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    How many of you have shot at night? How many within seconds of waking up? Its a different ballgame.
    Not I, for sure. I'm blessed to wake up freakishly wide awake and sharp, but I have no idea if I'd be a good shot at that point.

I should load up an airsoft gun and have my wife set a few paper targets in the house so I don't know where to expect them in advance, and pop up at a random timed alarm and go for a training run some time. I would be very interested in knowing how that would pan out.
    CowboyColby likes this.

I voted SG, but I think the first thing is to say "go get em boy" protective dogs love permission to search and destroy!

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Not I, for sure. I'm blessed to wake up freakishly wide awake and sharp, but I have no idea if I'd be a good shot at that point.

I should load up an airsoft gun and have my wife set a few paper targets in the house so I don't know where to expect them in advance, and pop up at a random timed alarm and go for a training run some time. I would be very interested in knowing how that would pan out.
    That kinda sounds fun!

If I hear the glass beak, I'm sataying in the bedroom. (The door is always locked at night when I'm sleeping) The first weapon that I'll reach for is my bedside handgun. I'll be calling 911 and getting the carbine ready.

I believe it's been said or worded something like: (not sure by who off the top of my head, I'm thinking Cooper?) A handgun is a good self defense weapon. Until you can work your way to a riffle or carbine.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

I use a Glock 37 (45 GAP) with a CT lasergrip and a rail light.I was gonna sale it because ammo is so expensive and u don't wanna depend on something u never shoot.But then i thought i have several glocks and they are all so similar shooting.Plus it has a rail for a light which then would be (in my mind)a perfect bedside pistol.I also have a black mossberg but i've noticed girls think it's weird when i have more than 1 gun in reach when sleeping.

OD*
    Handgun.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

How many of you have shot at night? How many within seconds of waking up? Its a different ballgame.[/QUOTE]

I shot a few times at night after about 5 sec after waking up, but that was with a .50cal in afghanistan and weather or not I hit the ******** I dont know. Now about doing it with more of a civilan friendly gun im not sure about, but you are right going from zero to hero from a dead sleep is hard.

And for the weapon that I would grab it would have to be the AR-15, i built mine alot like the M-4 that I use at work so I would feel more confident with that over the pistol

What do you use your pistol for inside your home????? To fight your way to your rifle or shotgun, PERIOD!!!!

VIP Member
    I'll call 1911 and, if necessary, issue a speed summons.

If I hear the mastiffs downstairs, or the Minpins upstairs, or glass breaking, or door jambs cracking, I’ll grab my EDC 45 next to me, the wife dials 911 on the cell, and we hunker down defensively. If I must leave the bedroom/saferoom I’ll don pants and shoes, with Kimber and flashlight, heading to the sound of most growling. If I have to leave the house, I’ll throw on a jacket and the AR10/red dot from the bedroom safe. She’ll be the one with the gauge behind the bed and mastiffs.

She told me shoulder holsters are sexy, but every time I try to wear one in bed, I just get tangled up in it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

First is whatever handgun I have stuffed in my bed if I make it to the front door then there's a 12 guage hidden from plain sight ready to go as well. If SHTF the safe is in my room mini-14 and whatever else is loaded in there are ready to go too.

Mossberg 12 Ga if I have time. S&W 686 if I don't. Both have night sights.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links