Votes: 243 38.9%
  • Rifle/Carbine

Votes: 41 6.6%
  • Other, RPG, Claymore, Phaser, etc

Votes: 11 1.8%

A poll; your HD weapon of choice

27K views 186 replies 165 participants last post by  gottabkiddin 
#1 ·
This poll is to determine your first HD weapon of choice.

When there is the sound of broken glass at night; what are you gonna grab?

#56 ·
Because I live within 15 miles of our southern border and in a rural area I have recently switch from my G23 to an AK47 with 30 rds of soft point ammo for thing that go bump in the night. No kids in the house and I am not worried about over pentration

#57 ·
Didn't know how to vote on this one. As I put on my pants first thing. Which means I have an handgun, knife and flashlight on me. Than I grab either an AR or Shotgun depending on the situation.
Reading Ram Rods post I could also answer pistol except, I consider my pistol a backup weapon anytime I have access to a long gun.

#58 ·
The question was "Weapon of Choice".

Since this is home defense, I take that to mean, from an ensconced position. For that I will remain with my original vote, the Blunderbuss.

Biker

#61 ·
No, seriously, Just handguns.
Could probably get out a shotty, or rifle, but would rather not have them laying around.
The pistols are easier to keep out of the way/reach of my young one.

#64 ·
I've got a shotgun, but in all reality with the adrenaline surging in a panic situation, I would probably grab the pistol. It's always on me, or very nearby. If I happened to be next to the shotgun, or had enough warning to get prepared, then the shotgun would be there.

Once again, the answer depends on the circumstances.

#66 ·
Broken glass at night...well, let's see. If I am not in the dog house, it would be a 1911 by the bedside. If I am in the dog house (sleeping on the couch), I have another 1911 close there. If I am back on the computer in the puter room, i have a mossberg 500 with buckshot. So, guess it depends on where I happen to be sleeping. While the scenario is true, I done ever sleep on the couch. I decided back in the courting days that if a woman doesnt want to sleep with me that's fine but I have no problem sleeping if someone else is mad at me so I sleep in my bed at all times. Jus sayin...

#69 ·
I have a unloaded .410 shotgun in the case in a downstairs closet, but the pistol I carried all day and laid in the basket next to my wallet vallet is the most convenient. (If the grandchildren are visiting, the pistol is in a lockbox which can be unlocked quickly with a hidden key)

#70 ·
Pistol (Glock 19) first - easier to move into a blocking position in the hallway while my wife grabs the kids. More readily accessible in a Gunvault as well.

Once we are all in our bedroom, she gets the G19 and I get the shotty out of the larger safe (Rem 870 loaded with #1 buckshot).

#72 ·
Depends on what comes around. Person? Whatever is closest. That would usually be my P229R in .40 S&W loaded with Remington Golden Sabers. But it could be an 870 with two of #8 and the rest 00, or an 1100 with 00-slug-00-slug (This would be less than idea for an inside HD scenario, but its not like I won't use it if I am being attacked). I also keep a .303 Lee-Enfield behind the bedroom door for big stuff, Ie; bear, couger, an M1 Garand re-chambered in .308 next to the back door, a Remington Speedmaster, also by the back door, for sniping those darn pocket gophers and magpies in the garden. An Armalite AR-180 upstaris in the living part of the house, and my Dad's 1911, also upstairs.

So, if we get invaded at home: Whatever I can get my hands on. Ideally my SIG.
Bear: Either the 1100 or the Enfield.
Coyote bothering the cows: The Garand or the AR-180, although I have taken more shots at coyotes with the Enfield. Ha.
Cougar: 1100 or Enfield
Garden thieves: Speedmaster

Basically whatever works best and/or is most accessible.

#74 ·
Being fairly well trained with pistols, rifles and shotguns, and having all 3 within reach of my bed, if I need one on a moments notice, it's the shotgun. If not within arms reach of the shotgun, my pistol is on me if I'm out of bed, and I have no problem using that as well.

#77 ·
The weapon that I'm most capable with is my carry G19, but it goes in the drawer at bedtime. The G20 (10 rds 10mm) goes ON the night table, and the Saiga 12 and AR 10 stand up adjacent to the night table. At the possible indoor distances, contact to 50 feet, I believe 00 12 ga buck shot offers the best combination of terminal ballistics and rapid target acquisition.
The 10mm certainly is a formidable round, but a pistol is a poor compromise when a long gun is available, and while it does allow better movement through the house, I expect my American Bulldogs will quickly show the location of the intruder(s), so covert movement will be moot. The AR 10 (20 rds 308), while a personal favorite, requires slightly better fine motor skills to fire the same high probability stopping shots compared to the Saiga 12 (13 rds 12 ga), and in the middle of the night, I can't be assured of maximum skills being available, regardless of weekly training drills.
All bed side weapons described above are equipped with tritium sights, laser, and streamlights.

#79 ·
I can access my handgun much quicker than a rifle or shotgun, since I have little kids running around and all. If I bunkered us all in my bedroom then I would get a long gun, probably give the black rifle to the wife and take the 500 for myself to cover the door.

#82 ·
My two handguns the S&W 9mm and the Rossi .38spl and Mag Light are in close proximity for home self defense.

However, I do have the Universal M-1 carbine with two 30 rd mags at close hand for SD situations. M-1's are my favourite little rifles and I'd love to actually have a "real" GI one, but I don't have the funds right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.