Security Camera Question

This is a discussion on Security Camera Question within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a wireless Security Camera system at Sams Club last week for $200. It has two cameras that send a signal to a recever ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Powhs
  • 1 Post By Powhs

Thread: Security Camera Question

Security Camera Question

I bought a wireless Security Camera system at Sams Club last week for $200. It has two cameras that send a signal to a recever which plugs into my monitor with a red and a yellow wire. It works but bearly. Reception is poor with a lot of static. Any of you know of a simular system that works good. I just want to be able to see who is at the door from the den.
    GemAlessandro likes this.

2. Remove Ads

For a clear pic you just about have to go wired. The wireless ranges are given in open air distance usually which means NOTHING in between the TX and RX. You can collect wireless cameras for a while or bite the bullet and run some wires.

Any recomendations for namebrands? The one I bought has a receiver that hooks to the monitor. What kind of receiver does the wired ones use?
    GemAlessandro likes this.

Check the TrendNet brand for around $150. It is wired and has manual pan and tilt that can be preset. Just Google TrendNet and see their products. I found that Office Depot carries them in my area.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

VIP Member
    I have the same sort of set up and it works well. Make sure everything is connected right and consider connecting the red and yellow cables from the receiver to a converter that will have a "co-axial" cable output to the tv. It might be that the internal converter isn't working well.

Be careful with wireless, a neighbor can pick up video and audio w/ baby monitor, scanner. Most are 2.4 ghz? Bad idea, I did this and effectively bugged our home. Neighbor relations at an all time ...low

You want wired systems. Go to FRY's and look at their several dozen systems. I have a 4 camera system into a 50GB HD system with an additional 2 wireless cameras at my home. Covers all frontal and side entrance areas including two internal areas. I can view off of the internet what is going on with my iPhone. It does cost, but if you want first class stuff you gotta pay for it. A couple hundred bucks gets you a baby monitor that will go dead in 5 months and have the interference you have.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Sponsor

web cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Powhs View Post
    I bought a wireless Security Camera system at Sams Club last week for $200. It has two cameras that send a signal to a recever which plugs into my monitor with a red and a yellow wire. It works but bearly. Reception is poor with a lot of static. Any of you know of a simular system that works good. I just want to be able to see who is at the door from the den.

A most versatile solution I posted awhile ago, you need a pc with a backup battery in case the electricity gets disconnected, a few wireless web cameras and a small app called webcamXP.

Put cameras on windows or places where they cannot be vandalized, download and purchase WebcamXP , install it on a small pc, connect the pc to a backup battery package, pay for a hosting server, (really cheap) and have your pc upload the pictures.

You can check what is going on from any place with an internet connection, even if you are on vacation far away via remote connection with Teamviewer which is free for non commercial use.

It's important that you install motion activated lights outside since the lights are going to be the "trigger" for the cameras to start taking pictures, since it's movement what triggers them.

Constant monitor systems with video recorders are for situations when an operator constantly maintains the system, like seven eleven, If you're going to be away that won't be possible.

Check on Newegg.

Hope this helps

Gato
    Go with the glow

Got This Wireless Security Camera Recently. I'm not that techie but I think it works well. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like your getting some interference. I've had a lot of
    Luck with the X10 brand of cameras.

I've done more than a couple security camera installs myself. Go wired, trust me. Quality is what you want and wireless just isn't going to cut it. The problem with wireless is that the transmission is naturally going to lose information and the system has to do its best to make up for it, but you're going to lose quality fast. Wired allows you high-quality video with very little interference. If you're still worried about interference, you can get shielded cables. Wired cameras also allow for much higher bandwidth, so you can have actual video as opposed to a series of 3-4 images per second.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have the Swann wireless camera setup I purchased from Radioshack and I must say I have been pretty much satisfied with the reception. I have a three camera setup to cover the front & back door and also my garage door. The receiver plugs in to my TV (video & audio) outlet. I also bought a capture card from bestbuy and hooked it up to my computer system so I can watch what is going on outside through my cameras over my computer monitor and it works great. I get a little static from time to time but I can live with that for right now.

Links