You hear a noise at night right after getting in bed.

This is a discussion on You hear a noise at night right after getting in bed. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I check out everything and any sound. Thing is, ....I have an early warning system (two knuckle head dogs). Anyone who comes in after I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You hear a noise at night right after getting in bed.

I check out everything and any sound. Thing is, ....I have an early warning system (two knuckle head dogs). Anyone who comes in after I'm in bed aint leaving under their own power.

2. Remove Ads

If Dusti don't bark, I probably won't get up. She is my "filter" for strange bumps in the night. My reaction is based on her reaction. She can distinguish between the cat's midnight antics and sounds that shouldn't belong. She's proven herself before, so yes I'd stake my life on it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    It is about midnight. You just get in bed. As soon as you hit the pillow, you hear noise coming from the next bedroom window. You are pretty sure it is the cat misbehaving. Do you check it out?
    No. I'm gonna make her go do it.

Gimme a break! I just laid down!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Depends on the noise,one night my wifes cat was doing cat stuff in the dark,I heard a terrific crash and as I was grabbing my gun saw the little furball streak outta the room,If I woulda been about 2 seconds quicker I coulda capped him and claimed it was an accident
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Its rare I take less than two hours to fall asleep, so I don't lose much by grabbing my Glock 19 & Streamlight microstream and checking it out. Both would be readily accessible per my pre-bed routine.

As others have said, that kind of matter doesn't justify a fortification & 911 response, so the prudent option seems to be arming yourself to deal with someone/something dangerous before venturing out to confirm it is nothing of the sort.

Yes, for me it's usually our rabbit. He's an oriental attack/guard rabbit that we keep in the laundry room between 2 of our doors. Unfortunately he's not too smart. He goes by Sum-Dum Bunny.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Happened to me last night. One of the kids said they heard something in the detached shop. It was a little rainy and a little windy, so I suspected it was nothing. Also, the dogs were not saying much.
    Grabbed the surefire and put the XD/ holster in @ 4 o’clock. Scanned the perimeter with the light, and opened the shop/garage door remotely, which gives almost a full view of the shop. Proceeded into the shop and flipped on the shop lights, eliminating the need for the flashlight. Checked the corners and under the benches.
    Kids were happy to hear that I checked it out. I was happy to put them at ease so they’d go to bed!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Yes, I check it out. If I'm near my AK I just grab it; if not, I throw a J-frame in my robe pocket and go check it out with a Q-Beam in hand- lights up the whole backyard easily.
    Taste the wares, Email.
    G23/442/T85UL

Sponsor
    You hear a noise in your home...what do you do?

You reach for your bedside weapon

With a Tiger Holster System, you always have Peace of Mind at Arms Reach.

Tiger Holster Systems

Even holds your flashlight

Couldn't help myself.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Around here, it's likely a raccoon or possum on the porch. If my alarm (Australian Shepherd) isn't going ballistic, I probably wouldn't check. I've had so many 4 legged intruders in the 5 years that I've lived here, that they don't even bother the dog any more

Yep, it gets checked out...dogs are great for early warning.
    Don't come into my house uninvited...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Unless the dogs make a fuss I go back to sleep, if I do have to get up and check it out i'm not in a good mood and don't go any further than my funnel point

I check out any noise that I can't idenifty. I don't own dog or cats so there is no "forewarning" for me. I grab my mag-lite an xd40 and check things out.

VIP Member
    I have 3 kids under the age of 5. If I got out of bed for every bump, bang or thud I hear at night I'd never get any sleep. Sometimes I'd swear my kids are practicing gymnastics in their sleep.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thats one of those it depends scenarios for me. Since I live with just the wife, if I didnt hear the dogs raising hell before the noise, no. But if they did, I would probably just confirm my gun was within arms reach, with my flash light and wait and see if there were anymore noises. I leave a soft light on that illuminates the hallway, and thats where an intruder would have to go if in my house. I could shoot them without getting out of bed that way.
    OHHH man....I can't tell you how many times I did just that.

BUT...since I've moved out where the road is gravel, coyotes howl, deer play, and foxes frolic...I don't do that anymore. I'd now have to say that I'd check it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links