Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords! - Page 2

Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords!

This is a discussion on Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by azchevy No, you can use double sided tape if you need to. OK, my son had a huge scare with tape mounted ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    No, you can use double sided tape if you need to.
    OK, my son had a huge scare with tape mounted detectors. YMMV.

Maybe you should check and see if it would lower the cost of insurance. If it does lower the cost of insurance, you may be able to appeal to your landlords sense of financial budget, and then he may be willing to ammend the contract. It would be a win for you both.

I have rental properties in St. Louis. I had tenants add ADT security systems. For me this was a positive. They paid for the system. They rent longer... finding new, good tenants is a pain. There is no damage to the house. The system uses a phone line and the box is in a storage closet; out of sight. I don't enter the property without my tenants knowledge. If I were to have a situation where I needed to get in the house without notifying the tenants; I would be accompanied by LEO (if alarm goes off... who cares?). Happy tenants take care of the property like it is their own, especially if their own money is now invested in the property.

I would recommend collecting as much info as you can and explaining the upside. Show the landlord where everything will be mounted. He/She may come around. Good luck.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to have a landlord that makes yours look like a pushover. Long story. If they hate holes that much you better be a good shot otherwise there will be all kinds of holes all over the place that he will definitely not like! Maybe that's a selling point. "I'd rather scare them away than shoot the place up. Then there's the cleaning bill..."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

So I went out and bought one of those wireless alarm systems that was recommended to me, nothing fancy, just the door/window combo with a keypad on the main unit. Wanna know what the landlords thoughts are on those? She does not want them hung up, because "What if the alarm goes off and you are not home?" Sometimes those things act crazy when they are low on batteries and will start going off, and no one will be there to shut it off, she worries. Goodness, if I wasn't home and was broken into, my neighbors may have to endure a loud alarm while I'm being robbed! That would be rough. Its not an ADT system or anything, so its not like cops will come rolling up, but she still doesn't think its a good idea.

I really don't know what to say to the lady, I'm flabbergasted. And out $30. :(

Distinguished Member
    So it goes off an you are not home? Do the landlords live near by? Will they hear it?

If you do get broken into while home are you allowed to scream for help? Or will that bother the neighbors too?

I've got these on my entry doors when we are home. Simple to use, no need to attach them to anything. Just something to buy some time.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...gkw=masterlock
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm beginning to think your landlord's house would be an easy job...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My daughter had a land lord like that in the past. Found out he was coming into the house when he thought she wasnt home. She was taking a shower and he walked in on her. I would find another place to live. His concerns for "holes" do not hold water in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocount View Post
    So I went out and bought one of those wireless alarm systems that was recommended to me, nothing fancy, just the door/window combo with a keypad on the main unit. Wanna know what the landlords thoughts are on those? She does not want them hung up, because "What if the alarm goes off and you are not home?" Sometimes those things act crazy when they are low on batteries and will start going off, and no one will be there to shut it off, she worries. Goodness, if I wasn't home and was broken into, my neighbors may have to endure a loud alarm while I'm being robbed! That would be rough. Its not an ADT system or anything, so its not like cops will come rolling up, but she still doesn't think its a good idea.

I really don't know what to say to the lady, I'm flabbergasted. And out $30. :(
    so I guess the loud gunshots of defending your home would not bother the neighbors or the owner. they are overbearing. I would find a key to breaking the lease.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Mark the date your lease expires and look for a landlord with a clue...

I would celebrate if my tenants wanted to install an alarm.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Well, the residence I am currently moving in is more lenient when it comes to adding more security items. They allow any resident to install alarm systems as well as extra locks provided they are notified of the upgrade or work being done. As a matter of fact, I just got myself a new layer of security for both my handguns and it's the "GunVault" multi handgun safe. Works fine and not difficult to program it with a new combination as well as access it very quickly, although it takes some practice after a few tries. I also got it reinforced w/ a security cable to prevent it from being removed and hauled away by intruders. While using it for the first time today, I practiced about 8-10 times in the dark or eyes closed to access the newly programmed padded combination dial and it's like clockwork. You press the right combo and walla!! It opens very quickly and the pistol is ready for action. I have heard a bunch of cons of its electronic combination system malfunctioning or not working. But so far none. And the reason why some owners experienced that problem is that they either refuse to obey or do not realize that it prefers to work on Duracell batteries only. You use any other type of AA battery other than Duracell, it's either not going to work properly or not work at all, as stated in the instruction manual. When in doubt, read the instructions inside and out. Another drawback of the "GunVault" handgun safe is that it is very awkward to access as well as visibly see the battery compartments. Glad I had my Surefire C2 Centurion on me to be able to see it. Other than that, I have no problems with it and I think it is a worthwhile investment despite its price w/ sales tax ($199.49). The safe also has an indicator light to let me know if the battery needs replacement and also 2 backup keys in case the dialed combination does not work for any reason.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I might have mentioned this before. But I have also recently bought a Sentry electronic combination safe mainly for my laptop computer although I can also store other items in it. Just like the GunVault safe, I make my own combinations and it also has an indicator light (in case of low battery) as well as 2 backup keys if the electronic system does not work.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I think a motion activated, hidden camera installed inside the house is called for. Sounds like the landlord is a snoop.

I'm a landlord and would be very happy if one of my renters wanted to install a security system as long as it wasn't ADT. As for the noises form the siren most systems turn off after 5 minutes if not sooner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links