Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords! - Page 3

Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords!

This is a discussion on Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If they don't want holes in the walls etc. they are really gonna crap when they see the carpet after you put a load of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Security options for a rented house? Strict landlords!

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    If they don't want holes in the walls etc. they are really gonna crap when they see the carpet after you put a load of 00 buck in a burglar
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .


  2. #32
    Member Array BrunetteMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    91
    punji traps, trip wires, noose traps... mines...

    Ha, I lived in a really shady apartment once and since I didn't have the money for a security system, I made up my own. Let's just say friends made me walk with them thru the doors and never wanted to be in my apartment without me because they were scared. Haha.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    821
    I lived across the street from an unoccupied condo with an outside alarm. The alarm went off about every other month. The owners came by the first half dozen times it went off, but they ignored the alarm for the next two years, and it got so if any burglar hit the place, the whole neighborhood was ready to help him strip the place. I was seriously considering going over with a shotgun and blowing the siren off the house eaves.

  4. #34
    Member Array Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Neocount View Post
    So I went out and bought one of those wireless alarm systems that was recommended to me, nothing fancy, just the door/window combo with a keypad on the main unit. Wanna know what the landlords thoughts are on those? She does not want them hung up, because "What if the alarm goes off and you are not home?" Sometimes those things act crazy when they are low on batteries and will start going off, and no one will be there to shut it off, she worries. Goodness, if I wasn't home and was broken into, my neighbors may have to endure a loud alarm while I'm being robbed! That would be rough. Its not an ADT system or anything, so its not like cops will come rolling up, but she still doesn't think its a good idea.

    I really don't know what to say to the lady, I'm flabbergasted. And out $30. :(
    I guess we're lucky. Our landlord only asked that if we changed/added any locks, we need to provide a copy of the key(s). Nothing in the lease about alarm systems (though I expect if we wanted ADT or something, we'd probably have to get permission).

    Do you know/talk to your neighbors? Does anyone else in the area have an alarm system of some sort? Is there an HOA prohibition on the audible alarm? Perhaps the sort of alarm that is silent, but dials a phone number... it could alert you by cell phone (and/or house phone) if it's triggered.

    And I second the hidden camera suggestion. Sure sounds like the landlord intends to have free run of the place. I thought the "No access without explicit consent/emergency" was standard lease verbiage.

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802
    You might try something like this: http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/in...system-255.cfm While you're at it, surf around this site awhile there's tons of cool stuff to see! Really wicked stuff!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  6. #36
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    #1 Get a dog.

    #2 Get some motion detector lights for outside. They even make screw in bulb motion sensor adaptors that won't require any modification. Get some network security cameras (they even have wireless ones) and use:

    http://vitamindinc.com/

    #3 Get renters insurance. Stuff is just stuff and is easy to replace. Renters insurance is inexpensive. Document the valuable stuff with photos and receipts. It protects against loss from fire as well as theft.

    #4 When you are ready to move out, deduct your security deposit from your last month't rent. You won't have to harass your landlord to return it and you can choose to pay for any post move out damages you think are reasonable. If you think damage charges are unreasonable, it is up to the landlord to waste their time and take you to court. Take good photos of everything when you move out.

    Your landlord might not like you, but who cares? Be kind, be considerate, be responsible, but this is your home, not theirs.

    #4 Buy a house. Interest rates are incredibly cheap these days. Save your pennies until 20% down and go for it!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  7. #37
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    #1 Get a dog.

    #2 Get some motion detector lights for outside. They even make screw in bulb motion sensor adaptors that won't require any modification. Get some network security cameras (they even have wireless ones) and use:

    http://vitamindinc.com/

    #3 Get renters insurance. Stuff is just stuff and is easy to replace. Renters insurance is inexpensive. Document the valuable stuff with photos and receipts. It protects against loss from fire as well as theft.

    #4 When you are ready to move out, deduct your security deposit from your last month't rent. You won't have to harass your landlord to return it and you can choose to pay for any post move out damages you think are reasonable. If you think damage charges are unreasonable, it is up to the landlord to waste their time and take you to court. Take good photos of everything when you move out.

    Your landlord might not like you, but who cares? Be kind, be considerate, be responsible, but this is your home, not theirs.

    #4 Buy a house. Interest rates are incredibly cheap these days. Save your pennies until 20% down and go for it!
    These are all great suggestions, but if these folks are that anal about holes in the walls, etc, how do you think they're going to react to the presence of a dog? I especially love your idea on final rent and security deposit. I'm going to pass that one along to my daughter!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  8. #38
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    how do you think they're going to react to the presence of a dog?
    I know the dog is pushing it. Have the wife or whatever ask the landlord for a dog because they don't feel safe. The landlord says NO WAY, then you can suggest a security system.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  9. #39
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Neocount View Post
    So I went out and bought one of those wireless alarm systems that was recommended to me, nothing fancy, just the door/window combo with a keypad on the main unit. Wanna know what the landlords thoughts are on those? She does not want them hung up, because "What if the alarm goes off and you are not home?" Sometimes those things act crazy when they are low on batteries and will start going off, and no one will be there to shut it off, she worries. Goodness, if I wasn't home and was broken into, my neighbors may have to endure a loud alarm while I'm being robbed! That would be rough. Its not an ADT system or anything, so its not like cops will come rolling up, but she still doesn't think its a good idea.

    I really don't know what to say to the lady, I'm flabbergasted. And out $30. :(
    Install it anyways, how is she going to know you did?

  10. #40
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802
    Neocount: It looks as if you have bent over backwards to satisfy the landlord to no avail. One thing there is plenty of in this country seems to be affordable places to live in especially in a down economy. Unless you're absolutely STUCK in a new rental agreement for a set period of time, I suggest you start looking for new digs. But there is something else you can do right now. Talk to your landlord. There are laws that protect you (at least in many states; so check yours first) and you can address it this way: You're trying to be reasonable and she is not. So here's what you do (what I'd do in this situation): Tell her you've made records of all conversations with her and records of all your stuff on video and by inventory.

    If she insists on this course of action, and it IS her property, well if you get robbed, you can sue her for redress of loss. Mention that single word: LAWSUIT and see if she doesn't calm down. Or she might go ballistic. But if you have a written agreement (CONTRACT) then that protects you, too. In a lawsuit, there are other damages you can collect besides actual losses. You can go for punitive damages, too. That punishes her for being unreasonable in the first place and buddy there are a ton of lawyers out there, solo practices (single lawyer doing it all for themselves) that are aching for business. They'll take your case on contingency. Meaning if they recover for you they get half of what you get if it goes to trial. If they recover without going into a courtroom, they take 33% and if they lose, they don't get ANYTHING. Zip. Nada.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; December 29th, 2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: add content and format
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  11. #41
    Member Array tbone1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    21
    Well here goes nothing, Neo have you suggested to the landlord that you would be willing to have a security sytem installed (ADT monitored at your expense.. heres the clincher.. they do it for free cause they want that monthly monitoring fee .. ) or have her install it again its free and make the monthly monitoring fee part of the rent.. most insurance sompanies.. and yes even if you have renters insurance the landlord still has to carry their own.. usually give up to a 20% discount if theft deterents are installed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Glock (and other pistol) options by Mako Security
    By Thanis in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
  2. Landlords and guns
    By Pro2A in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
  3. landlords and firearms
    By jonathancase in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: September 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM
  4. Security guard arrested for bringing a gun into a court house,and impersonating a PO.
    By S.O. Interceptor in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Search tags for this page

adt for rental home

,

adt for renters

,
adt home security renters
,
adt landlord permission
,
adt rental home
,

adt rental property

,
adt security rental properties
,
can i get adt if i rent
,
can you get adt if you rent
,
if i rent can i get adt
,
landlord won't allow burglar alarms on door
,
strict landlords
Click on a term to search for related topics.