Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks - Page 2

Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

This is a discussion on Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HKinNY I take a simple rubber door wedge with me on vacation,just slide it under the door and wedge it into place. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I take a simple rubber door wedge with me on vacation,just slide it under the door and wedge it into place. Works like a charm.
    I know some people that keep those in their EDC bag. In case they have to barricade themselves in an office during a active shooter event.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    A Mumbai style attack would not work well here. Instead an attack on a sports cathedral would be most effective, a few well placed bombs 20,000+ panicked spectators plus live coverage of the of the carnage as they try to escape would create nationwide hysteria.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I wouldn't count on the police in the U.S. either. I don't disagree that they are better trained I just am not sure that they wouldn't set up a perimeter and wait it out. It's up to individuals to think, plan, and prepare for their own defenses. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time that the police (including SWAT) stood outside of a building trying to gain situational awareness (VA Tech).

Find out what is bolted down in your hotel room and what is not, figure out what you can use to best jam your doorway and survive until cavalry arrives.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mumbai attack, let's see...your KelTec against a machine gun and grenades. I sense some difficulties ahead.
    I don't see how being unarmed is any better.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

3D
    Was in a motel in PA last month . .fire started in window heating unit in room next door . . smoke got very thick and acrid very quickly . . getting out of the room into fresh air fast became the priotity. The entire floor became smoke filled because hotel air-handling systems pumped the smoke into it. The specific event really dictates the 'best' response.

If the fire would have been used as a way to get people/targets out of their baracaded rooms it would have worked. We would have been sitting ducks in that single-file line of people exiting the stairwell.

RE: OP, IMO large major-metro hotels are still high value target possibilities.
    I'm thinking Pro sporting event; or large shopping mall are more likely targets.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Senior Moderator
    Speaking of high profile targets with a huge economic and fear impact, could you imagine, even small planes flying into a football stadium during a game? Or, probably easier, mortar fire into a game. It would probably cripple a football season with both fear and accompanying economic impact.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Was in a motel in PA last month . .fire started in window heating unit in room next door . . smoke got very thick and acrid very quickly . . getting out of the room into fresh air fast became the priotity. The entire floor became smoke filled because hotel air-handling systems pumped the smoke into it. The specific event really dictates the 'best' response.

If the fire would have been used as a way to get people/targets out of their baracaded rooms it would have worked. We would have been sitting ducks in that single-file line of people exiting the stairwell.

RE: OP, IMO large major-metro hotels are still high value target possibilities.
    I'm thinking Pro sporting event; or large shopping mall are more likely targets.
    There are inexpensive (under a hundred bucks) emergency masks which anyone living in a multi-story home should have.
    They are compact and can go with you to a hotel. They won't buy a great deal of time, but they will get you a few minutes. Maybe not an answer to a terrorist attack on a hotel, but a life saver in other situations, and possibly this scenario as well.

My plan, GTFO ASAP. Sure you can barricade your selves in a room. That's great until they light the place on fire.

I take that back. Dieing from smoke inhalation is better than bleeding out.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    My plan, GTFO ASAP. Sure you can barricade your selves in a room. That's great until they light the place on fire.

I take that back. Dieing from smoke inhalation is better than bleeding out.
    I hear bleeding out is almost like going to sleep.... choking on smoke is very violent and painful as well
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Here it would definitely be force on force,and eventually the SWAT teams would win against second rate terrorists.If they were serious,they would go for sniping the president instead of attacking hotels.And also,its not like nobody here is trained in shooting and self defense.When im going anywhere,i have 3 weapons and about 300 rounds of ammo with me.Not counting knives and the endless makeshift weapons and training i have.And i know there are more people like me out there.Go ahead,Al Qaeda,were ready.

Of course, eventually the shooters would be killed. That's not the point though. They're suicidal, and are fully willing to commit to a one-way mission. The issue is...how much carnage can they cause before they are taken out?

The fact that citizens can carry weapons in this country is certainly a deterrent. Unfortunately, there are still many places where weapons cannot be legally carried. Add in places that are hostile to CCW (NYC, Chicago, etc) and you still have plenty of potential targets. Those are the most likely places they would strike.

Of course, you don't need a gun to fight back - though it helps a whole lot. Nobody is going back to the pre-9/11 mentality of cooperating with hijackers. Yet, too often in an active shooter scenario, we see people who could fight back fail to do so. Instead of getting out, they hunker down in place and become targets. We need to instill that warrior spirit in our citizens again...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The last active shooter in Colorado was tackled by a math teacher. Happened a few months ago. I think there have been a few successful tackles this year by heroes.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The Mumbai group split up into 1 and 2 man teams IIRC. If I saw somebody playing JIHAD, once I determined how many friends they had nearby, I think any armed citizens could get a good chance at neutralizing that one particular arm of the assault.

If I were inclined and had like minded friends, I could come up with a plot that would scare the willies out of the USA sheep. I'm sure most of you could too. Don't think it won't or can't happen.

*** If you are out and about, be prepared for war just as much as robbery or assault!!!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

jfl
    As a corporate pilot I have spent many nights and days in hotel rooms (in the US); of course, I know the seventh floor rule, and a few others.
    However, how many hotels are there in the US ? 100,000, probably more; if I stay in a hotel 1 day a week, the odds of being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" are probably over 1/1,000,000. If that worried me, I would stop riding my Harley, driving on the Interstates or eating out

OTOH, I have my G-26 (13 rds) and a 17 rds spare mag, am decently trained in defensive shooting, I believe I have a chance of winning an encounter with a terrorist succeeding in entering my room. It'll be dark in there, I'll know where he is (doorway) he will not know where I am covering. For reasons stated in previous posts, I believe there will be only one shooter per area.
    If another on comes, then I'll have upgraded to an AK

And if I lose, so be it, at least I didn't spend time worrying about the safety of my hotel room.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links