Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

This is a discussion on Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Glocksin .When im going anywhere,i have 3 weapons and about 300 rounds of ammo with me.Not counting knives and the endless makeshift ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    .When im going anywhere,i have 3 weapons and about 300 rounds of ammo with me.Not counting knives and the endless makeshift weapons and training i have.And i know there are more people like me out there.Go ahead,Al Qaeda,were ready.
    Glocksin can be found in Altanta Ga. Al Qaeda head that way.

Not looking for a fight but if somebody brings one to me they will not be happy. I was in Las Vegas last week on the 20th floor and the windows do not open and are 1/2 thick so no chance of jumping no chance breaking. But did have great view of the city.

2. Remove Ads

Aw that aint very nice.Im no different then you in that im simply prepared for whatever comes my way.But does that mean i want a fight? No!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I hear bleeding out is almost like going to sleep.... choking on smoke is very violent and painful as well
    I'll rephrase this. It's not the bleeding out that worries me, its the 7.62x39mm holes in my body that I don't want. The catecholamine dump from going into shock is known to put the body into a euphoric state(related to increase in circulating Dopamine I believe). Now that I have thought it over, I would hold up in my room until the smoke came. Once it banks down, I would run for it. The bad guys can't breath smoke either, unless they have SCBA....
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

yeah I think those crazy drivers are what I should really be worried about. I have nearly met my death from a motor vehicle more times than I care to count. Personally the odds of being involved in a terrorist attack are slim. So myself do my usual come up with a quick escape plan and then just enjoy myself, hotel implies I am on vacation or at least out side of my normal haunting grounds. Both of which I think are reasons to enjoy myself.

Mumbai in America

Look at it this way:

1. The street police in India, and for that matter most of Europe (think Bobbies), are not equipped to deal with firearmed evil types. Their firearms, if they have any, function as much, if not more, as Badges of Office - not tools.
    2. American street police are trained and have an expection to deal with firearmed evil. The rest of the world's street police are not. They interact with criminals not armed with firearms.
    3. Americans - both street police and plain citizens - understand the concept of the Active Shooter. Active Shooters do not use firearms to faciliate a crime with an escape plan, but to control an area to make a point regarding that institution and/or certain people.
    4. American police understand that a normal criminal can be surounded and dealt with using the traditional SWAT proceedures; in essence, if the shooter stops shooting, they can be talked out, or picked off.
    5. American police, however, have grasped the concept that to stop an Active Shooter, the initial arriving police MUST go in and engage with whatever they have. Their goal is to take on the Active Shooter, breaking their control of the space.
    6. Therefore, a Mumbai Wannabe in America would not have the police standing around, waiting for more firepower and training to arrive.
    7. People like us, who carry and are caught inside the "bubble" of the attack are in what amounts to a Flight 93 situation. If we are under fire, the only logical solution is to start firing back. This action, unexpected and unplanned for (remember, we don't look like security) breaks the sense of control, can take out part of the attacking force, and allows other victims to escape.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; November 12th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Well put.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good strategies for blocking a door in a hotel room? A piece of furniture that just happens to fit well to jam the door handle, any piece of large furniture that can be wedged into the doorway area in such a way as to block it, which will depend completely on the size/shape of the "entry" area. That pretty much limits it to the "perfect" chair, possibly; more likely, a longer sofa (which many rooms won't have), or possibly the bed (if it's not otherwise anchored to the ground). I don't carry a portable "bar" to jam under the door handle and anchor to the ground at an angle from the door. That's about the only other thing I can think that a person would have with him with any chance of blocking a door.

If terrorist groups are worth anything, they're considering a variety of alternatives. Particularly if a number of the organization are prepared to die in such actions, it seems almost certain that people-rich targets of opportunity will be hit at some point. Imagine all of the places in major metro areas that have high concentrations of people with few exits. Any of the subways, for example. Any large building that allows unobstructed public access to the elevators. The non-secure areas of any major airport during times just ahead of a large number of departures. Any university with a sizable student body that is having a publicized gathering on "the quad" (central gathering place). The list goes on, and on. Why dozens of such incidents haven't already occurred is beyond me, given the porosity of the borders of the USA.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most rooms have dressers and they are not that wide, front to back. I would look to putting the dresser, endwise against the door
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Even in the U.S. by the time the police show up, including the ones with the cool guy gear and weapons, gain situational awareness, and then decide to engage. Most of the carnage is over. Not knocking the police but this is a fact. If you are at the resort your life is in your own hands be it run, barricade, fight back or a combination thereof.
    Even when there is one active shooter there are a whole lot of guys dressed up in some really cool equipment all pointing guns at a building, usually until the shooting from inside stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    Even in the U.S. by the time the police show up, including the ones with the cool guy gear and weapons, gain situational awareness, and then decide to engage. Most of the carnage is over. Not knocking the police but this is a fact. If you are at the resort your life is in your own hands be it run, barricade, fight back or a combination thereof.
    Even when there is one active shooter there are a whole lot of guys dressed up in some really cool equipment all pointing guns at a building, usually until the shooting from inside stops.
    remember the mumbai attack went on for hours. with shooting and people being killed, probably because many were barricaded in and it took time to get to them.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Well gents just some comments. First any terrorist attack on US soil with or without casulties can and will occur eventually with 100% total success. The reason they will have total success is because the purpose of a terrorist attack is not to claim lives or blow up buildings it is to cause a sense of fear and terror among the populance. Body counts and burning buildings are simply a plus. As was stated earlier if you cause carnage at a major sporting event how many will want to go back to a major sporting event? Shoot up a mall how many will want to take the kids shopping there?

For those who have received their tactical training from the pages of SWAT magazine and now know how LE will react please keep the following in mind. Many things have changed in regards to active shooters/terrorist acts. At one point in time tactical doctrine was Isolate, communicate, negotiate. ( I think that is the right words in the right order, feel free to correct me if it is not). Tactical Doctrine now is to enter with what you have be it one, two or twelve bypassing wounded and any explosive devices and proceed directly to the threat and eliminate it...period. It does no good to stop and render aid to one victim or disarm one bomb when the bad guys are still taking lives in the next room.

In regards to the OP. Lower level rooms make you vulnerable to outside attacks, i.e. carbombs. Higher level rooms limit escape routes. Should gunfire erupt and me and mine are all accounted for hunker down in the room block the door and wait it out. Get on the phone and call 911 tell them what you hear or can see.
    If you are armed great protect yourself. If you have the training and are confident enough to go out and engage bad guys armed with whatever with a handgun go for it.
    I do have one idea though Mossburg makes a pistol grip type shotgun that is concealed in a PVC tube for survival types. It is small enough to stick in a suitcase and in some states it may not be considered carrying a weapon, it may be a game and fish violation but it may not be a weapon. Keep it loaded and stashed until you need it. Just an idea.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

April last year sit and wait so that the responding officers were safe was still "tactical doctrine" in New York. The more things change the more they stay the same. Only budgets and cool equipment has gotten better.
    I'm not knocking the police. My point is that it is a pipe dream to think that these type of attacks will not occur or will be dealt with rapidly by our highly trained and equipped police force.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30030756/

VIP Member
    I agree that they will occur and depending on where and when they occur the response will be different.

This place mentioned has a population of 47,000 something so they are big enough to have a tactical team and good training but it is New York State so there is no telling.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mumbai attack, let's see...your KelTec against a machine gun and grenades. I sense some difficulties ahead.
    In my case, it would be an XD 45. And, f I'm barricaded in my room, and a terrorist tries to enter, I'll probably have a machine gun petty quickly. He'll burst in, and before he can fire, I'll be shooting from behind cover. drag his ass in, and take his weapon and any spare mags.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    In Indiana, every police and law enforcement officer, including most armed security officers are trained in active shooter response. My training went shockingly deep into tactics and maneuvers from the diamond formation to stacking up and entering rooms to clearing a large area by yourself, I am decently confident that I could take out a force of two or 3 heavily armed attackers with my pistol. That being said, any more than that, or if they were equipped with automatic weapons instead of semi autos drastically reduce my chances of survival. So speaking from experience, first responders and hotel security in most cases are trained to react to such situations with force,
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links