Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

This is a discussion on Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Squawker He'll burst in, and before he can fire, I'll be shooting from behind cover. drag his ass in, and take his ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    He'll burst in, and before he can fire, I'll be shooting from behind cover. drag his ass in, and take his weapon and any spare mags.
    I guess it's always nice to have a plan, haha.

2. Remove Ads

When I travel, I keep one of these in my car. If my room is over the 3rd floor, I'll bring it up to the room with me.

Features
    * Survivor Escape System Includes:
    * 50 ft. 8mm CMC ProSeries Escape Line*
    * 1 CMC Survivor 8*
    * 1 CMC ProTech Key-Lock Carabiner with Keeper Pin*
    * 1 CMC ProTechKey-Lock Carabiner*
    * 1 CMC Survivor Escape Bag
    * *UL Classified to NFPA 1983

Mine is set up slightly different with some different hardware, some extra hand tools, extra webbing and 70' of high temp escape line instead of 50'. The kit weighs about 5 lbs. I only bring it to the room if I'm staying between the 3rd and 7th floor. I won't go over the 7th floor when making reservations. For fire or terrorist attack, I'm bailing out the window instead of going out into the main corridor or using stairwells.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n...that is slick. Does it come with instructions for non climbers or do you have that under your belt already?
    As for defense...I take my home defense setup with me if I have to stay overnight. I'll have two 1911s, the wifes pistol, one of my ARs, plenty of loaded mags,VOK, my larger medkit and my larger BOB. If they want a fight...I'll do my best to give 'em one. If they want cowering targets, sorry to disappoint. I'll take my chances on my feet thanks.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Some basic tips for hotel security:

1. Do not allow the desk clerk to say your room number out loud, ask for another room if there are strange people around who may have heard. Likewise, do not confirm your room number by saying it out loud.
    2. Always keep the deadbolt/security latch on your door. Even honest mistakes happen and someone may get checked into your room. You dont want little Timmy walking in on you as you walk out of the shower.
    3. Always look through the peep hole whenever someone knocks, AND always confirm with the front desk if any "employee" comes knocking. As mentioned before, you can always keep the DND sign out and just call down for a change of towels or linen when you return.
    4. Try to keep anything of value in the safety deposit boxes or in-room safes.
    5. Scout all available exits the day you check in (on your floor, and in the lobby)
    6. Make sure the telephone works now instead of finding out later.
    7. Try not to enter your room while another "stranger" is near you in the hallway.
    8. If you have to order pizza/food from an outside source, pay and pick it up in the lobby.
    9. Report any suspicious persons to the front desk.

If i think of more ill post, but thats a good start.

PS-Ive been in the hospitality industry for about 15 yrs and am currently Guest Services Manager at a Crowne Plaza hotel.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Mumbai was very well planned and executed. I'd say your best bet is probably to hunker down in your room, aside from using the locks on the door...

...You aren't going to do much with a handgun against a group of trained aggressors with sub-machine guns and assault rifles, the best you can do is make it hard to get to you to kill you, IMO.
    "They were shooting from waist height and fired at anything that moved. I briefly had time to take a couple of frames using a telephoto lens. I think they saw me taking photographs but they didn't seem to care."

"There were armed policemen hiding all around the station but none of them did anything," he said. "At one point, I ran up to them and told them to use their weapons. I said, 'Shoot them, they're sitting ducks!' but they just didn't shoot back."

"I told some policemen the gunmen had moved towards the rear of the station but they refused to follow them. What is the point if having policemen with guns if they refuse to use them?

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...#ixzz15btiG7Sg

I think there are other factors that explain the degree of carnage that was left in Mumbai which have less to do with the level of proficiency of the attackers and more to do with the location of the attack and the culture of the people there. Naturally they could cause casualties in USA by bringing down those caught unaware in the first rush but that would be the end of it. We ain't going for another attack on our soil without a fight.

Honestly I worry much more about a suicide bomber detonating his load in public a la Baghdad or a driver of a vehicle packed with explosives carrying his deadly load to a densely packed shopping area much more than I do attackers with small arms unloading on American citizens. Especially given the porous nature of our southern border and recent reports that traditional terrorist groups are teaming up with the narco-terrorists of the failed nation-state Mexico to learn how to get into the US undetected.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links