Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

This is a discussion on Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T2 In an exclusive interview with CNN, Dr. August Hanning, a former head of Germany's foreign intelligence service, said intelligence indicated that al Qaeda had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Room Defense - Al Qaeda eyes more Mumbai-style attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T2

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Dr. August Hanning, a former head of Germany's foreign intelligence service, said intelligence indicated that al Qaeda had already started planning to launch Mumbai-style attacks in the United States.

"We have got information that they have planned or are planning a plot like the Mumbai plot in Europe and the United States," said Hanning who retired late last year as State Secretary in Germany's Interior Ministry, one of the country's most senior counter-terrorism positions.
    Looks like I'm going to have to think about hotel room defense more. What I heard about Mumbai was that those who managed to barricade their doors were the ones who survived.

What are some good strategies for blocking the door?

Do you want to ask to be on the first or second floor so you can bug out the window?

Seems like most states allow firearms in the hotel room, any notable exceptions? If someone was coming through the door, I'd sure like to have my AR. What about securing the firearm while away from the room?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Mumbai attack, let's see...your KelTec against a machine gun and grenades. I sense some difficulties ahead.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mumbai was very well planned and executed. I'd say your best bet is probably to hunker down in your room, aside from using the locks on the door, put whatever heavy you can to block the doors, and possibly the mattress up there are well in order to try and block some rounds/shrapnel. The goal was to create maximum casualties, and they did use explosives, but if your door is hardened and the next one isn't, not much sense in wasting explosives when there are easier targets.

You aren't going to do much with a handgun against a group of trained aggressors with sub-machine guns and assault rifles, the best you can do is make it hard to get to you to kill you, IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

America is too physically large to be affected by a Mumbai-style prank. What are they gonna do? Hit the St Louis garment district? Any attack on one city in one state would be insignificant. We've hardened our financial centers. People getting radium treatments get nabbed going through tunnels now - we're already hardening against nuclear threats.

Mumbai was possible in the way an attack on Moscow would be effective, when all activities of a certain type are concentrated in one area - but we're spread out.

Instead, our concerns are not with pissant ragheads, but rather with things like Peak Oil and generational demographic shifts. Five or six terrorist dingbats could raise a little havoc, but look at all the Americans who are in foreclosure, who've seen their pensions wiped out, who've lost healthcare. Those numbers are in the millions. Focus on what's important, not the bright shiny thing being dangled to distract you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Avoid 1st, 2nd or 3rd floors, 4th thru 6th best. The first three are too prone to blast damage, over seven and you might need to fly.

From a resource I found:

When using hotels:
     Place the “do not disturb” sign on the door and consider leaving the lights and
    television on when departing the room.
     Keep room key cards hidden on your person so you do not reveal the hotel you are
    using.
     Avoid rooms on the first two floors and those facing streets as they receive more
    impact from street level blasts. Rooms on the lower floors and rooms that are
    accessible from outside the hotel also tend to be more vulnerable to unauthorized
    entry.
     If possible, avoid rooms above the seventh floor as fire and rescue equipment may
    not be able to reach higher levels.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Avoid 1st, 2nd or 3rd floors, 4th thru 6th best. The first three are too prone to blast damage, over seven and you might need to fly.

From a resource I found:

When using hotels:
     Place the “do not disturb” sign on the door and consider leaving the lights and
    television on when departing the room.
     Keep room key cards hidden on your person so you do not reveal the hotel you are
    using.
     Avoid rooms on the first two floors and those facing streets as they receive more
    impact from street level blasts. Rooms on the lower floors and rooms that are
    accessible from outside the hotel also tend to be more vulnerable to unauthorized
    entry.
     If possible, avoid rooms above the seventh floor as fire and rescue equipment may
    not be able to reach higher levels.

My thoughts are 1st floor is too easy to get in. 2nd isn't but it is still low enough that you could jump, and run, if need be. You could jump from 3-4 and still survive but the odds of breaking a bone, and not being able to run, go up.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that the best bet is to lock and barricade your hotel door as heavy as possible (mattress and furniture) and hold out in your room with a defensive firearm by your side (preferably a 12 gauge) until the threat is over and police enforcement authorities arrive at the scene.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I've been expecting such an attack for a long time. With the failure of their most recent bomb plots, it stands to reason that they would go with an active shooter attack - it is just plain easier to pull off.

Never mind hotels - think of the impact on our already weakened economy of simultaneous attacks at several shopping malls across the country as we go into the Christmas shopping season. Sure, folks can shop online instead of going to malls, but the impact would still be huge.

A (BBC?) reporter in Mumbai had a clear shot at one of the terrorists...but all he had was a camera. If you can take one out while you herd your family out the nearest exit...might be worth taking the shot.

As far as hotels go...stay in smaller, cheaper ones. They would target the bigger ones, with more potential victims. I doubt they would target the Motel 6...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Something similar...

http://www.amazon.com/50246-Smart-Ho...bxgy_hi_text_b

And check out this first review...

"On our recent trip to Egypt and Jordan we stayed at the St. Catherine's Plaza Hotel in Jordan, the hotel was not very secure and had no added security locks or chains on the door. It was 7 am, I was just waking up when I heard steps coming up our staircase outside and then there was a key in our door and our door being unlocked. We had set the GE Smarthome Door alarm the night before and of course when they tried to enter our room the alarm went off scaring them away, I could hear them running very fast down the stairway. I am so glad I had bought this for our trip or we may have had an unwanted stranger in our room. I highly recommend this alarm!"
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

VIP Member
    While a Mumbai style attack would be a shocker, and while it is certainly a possibility, I have a hunch it would not go down the way things did in Mumbai.

First, in Mubai the attackers could count on NO armed resistance. They could not count on that here, and would likely receive at least some vigorous resistance from some hotel guests. (Of course not in NY and Chicago and DC).

Second, we have a much more effective police system with well trained SWAT teams than the Indians did.

A huge part of what led to the "success" of the attackers in Mumbai was poorly trained and inadequately armed responders, or so some newsy papers wrote at the time. You could see pics of police standing outside the hotel armed only with revolvers. There was nothing they could even try to do, and they weren't trying very hard anyway it seems.

The Mumbai attack was successful because India does not allow the citizens to be armed. To make it worse, the police never even train firing their weapons, I guess ammo is scarce. So, when the attack started, the police were ineffective, and the victims could do nothing but hide.

It's not going to be that easy here. I'm guessing our fine officers would like a piece of Al Qaeda bacon.
    Factor in some armed citizens and the balance changes dramatically.

I take a simple rubber door wedge with me on vacation,just slide it under the door and wedge it into place. Works like a charm.

2nd isn't but it is still low enough that you could jump, and run, if need be
    If the room is away from a street, then probably yes. If on a street, then car bombs will decimate the second floors.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I don't think it would be an effective attack in this country. If we do see an attack like this, it won't be from AQ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links