Article - Home Defense tips

This is a discussion on Article - Home Defense tips within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting article on burglar proofing your home... http://manofthehouse.com/home/repair...fing-your-home...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKflorida

Thread: Article - Home Defense tips

Interesting article on burglar proofing your home...

http://manofthehouse.com/home/repair...fing-your-home
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Yep,i have a really big safe i keep receipts and ammo in.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Yep,i have a really big safe i keep receipts and ammo in.
    Just last weekend, bought me a laptop-sized multipurpose safe from Sentry at Target. Although I use it to mainly store and secure my laptop, I can also store other items (gold watch/receipts/etc.). Uses an electronic combination powered by 4 AA batteries yet has a hidden key hole for 2 keys in case the combo does not work. Once you hit the 8 digit combo followed by a symbol, all it takes is 2 sec. for it to go green making it easy to twist the knob and open the door. The instruction manual gives you a combo to start with and you can stick to it if you want to. But you can also make up your own 8 digit combo that you can remember. The safe can also be used to store handguns although I already have a place for them to be stored and locked up.

Ask for help. Ask neighbors to keep your front steps or driveway clean of newspaper and flyers so you’re not telling the world you’ve gone out of town.
    Yes, but then your neighbor knows you'll be gone. If you trust your neighbor, that's fine, but not all neighborhoods are that way.

Sliding glass doors are easy targets, so put a stick in the track to make it impossible to slide open from the outside.
    True, but isn't it true that most burglars just lift the doors out of their tracks, rendering these kinds of bars/sticks ineffective?

It depends. Some doors and windows have something in the upper channel that requires the item be opened a certain amount befor it can be lifted out of the track. If not suplied that way it is an easy addition.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sliding glass doors really tick me off. I've got one in the rear of my house. I have been through three handle/locks in three years and the current one is broken. I finally gave up on it since I have already installed backup systems like an internal channel block, an internal bar, and an 'open' alarm. Of course I am now unable to get in it from the outside when the systems are in place but I have other doors.

Does any one know where I can get a reasonably price replacement handle/lock (not from Lowe's apparently) that actually works and does not self destruct?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Most doors and windows only slow criminals down, but a dog and a safe can do wonders for security.
    I also think that talking with and depending upon neighbors to notice possible problems when you are gone is important.
    Walk around your home and figure out where you could get in if you had to...backyards without an open view make it pretty easy for thugs to work on entry.
    We have been lucky in our neighborhood so far...no B&E's yet. People should notice who is walking/biking around and just seems to be looking. I always try to stop them and ask if I can help...I also try to throw in how often many neighbors are home and how many cops live nearby.
    My one neighbor even takes pictures of strangers and their car plates...this usually results in no second visits.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

good

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I use a good alarm system w/battery backup,lotsa outdoor lights/motion activated and good locks. But if someone wants in they`ll do it....Hope I`m home though!!!.

We're pretty rural here. Our neighbors probably think think we're whacked but one routine we follow daily forces two criminal types who have stalked us to reveal themselves more often. We always park our cars in a locked garage when we return home. I refuse to make it easy for those with criminal intent to know if we're home or not by merely noting which vehicle is or is'nt in the driveway.Since adopting this, instead of watching from a distance they drive in front of our home slow and intently looking. Our fans got tired of this and visited us less frequently now. It also removes any temptation to siphon your gas or burglarize your vehicle at night. It works, but everyone will wonder about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Just last weekend, bought me a laptop-sized multipurpose safe from Sentry at Target. Although I use it to mainly store and secure my laptop, I can also store other items (gold watch/receipts/etc.). Uses an electronic combination powered by 4 AA batteries yet has a hidden key hole for 2 keys in case the combo does not work. Once you hit the 8 digit combo followed by a symbol, all it takes is 2 sec. for it to go green making it easy to twist the knob and open the door. The instruction manual gives you a combo to start with and you can stick to it if you want to. But you can also make up your own 8 digit combo that you can remember. The safe can also be used to store handguns although I already have a place for them to be stored and locked up.
    Makes a good carrying case for the BG's with all your valuables already in one spot.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

All this for the illusion of security for the wife and a bit of a discount on home insurance. If I'm home the dogs will alert me and Messrs Ruger & Mossburg will take care of the rest.

• Self-monitored alarm system, with all the "stuff"
    • Static and motion lighting outside
    • IR cameras in-house and outdoors
    • 1/4" steel reinforced door casings
    • Safe (bolted in concrete and Fire rated)
    • 2 dogs

and besides...
    the cops are just minutes away.

All this and they can still break-in if they simply don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Sliding glass doors really tick me off. I've got one in the rear of my house. I have been through three handle/locks in three years and the current one is broken. I finally gave up on it since I have already installed backup systems like an internal channel block, an internal bar, and an 'open' alarm. Of course I am now unable to get in it from the outside when the systems are in place but I have other doors.

Does any one know where I can get a reasonably price replacement handle/lock (not from Lowe's apparently) that actually works and does not self destruct?
    We use our back sliding door many times a day and the latches/handles/screws and other junk parts only last about 3 years. I get replacements from Ace Hardware. Also I borrowed parts from the other half of the slider that I don't use. Just plan on replacing the parts every so often as they are all junk pot metal.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Sponsored Links