Knock on door early Saturday morning

This is a discussion on Knock on door early Saturday morning within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About 7:30AM there's a knock on the door. I'm up, but my wife and daughter are sleeping in. The dog goes nuts, doing her job, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knock on door early Saturday morning

About 7:30AM there's a knock on the door. I'm up, but my wife and daughter are sleeping in. The dog goes nuts, doing her job, and she's got a very intimidating bark as she's 90lbs. I look outside and see a car, empty, and a unknown white guy about 40 at my door.

I grab my .45 and hold it in my right hand behind my right leg and open the door with my left hand, only a few inches with my booted foot behind the door as a stop, as the dog is ready to go for the jugular. I was going to ignore it, but I thought I might know the guy... there's a few neighbors around here that I don't interact with much, like in several years.

At any rate, it's a bum panhandling. That tired old story about being out of gas and needing to visit his dad in the hospital. He spoke it like a speech, giving me the whole thing quickly and with a lot of detail, like someone lying rather than in a neighborly, conversational way.

I told him to move on and called the cops. I watched him go next door.

Talked to some of my other neighbors and most of them opened the door and talked to him, unarmed, but only one gave him money. They're nice folks, and I didn't want to be all paranoid and negative, I just mentioned that he gave me the creeps and that I didn't believe him.

I know I shouldn't have opened the door, but I made sure there was no one else around. And this way I figured if he was casing the house, he saw a large, grumpy man and a very aggressive dog. If he was looking for easy pickings, I'm sure he'll move on.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Seems to me you handled the situation perfectly.

He should have used the gas that he was using driving door to door to go to the hospital to visit his dad.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't think you made a mistake by opening the door. I personally refuse to live in fear, that includes refusing to opening the door to strangers.

You took adequate measures to protect yourself should he had bad intentions.

I'm guessing if he had tried something stupid, it would have been the last thing he ever did.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You did fine. The foot behind the door, the "exuberant" dog at hand, and the .45 at the ready.

In my Phx-area neighborhood, the current scam is to wear something that looks like an official ID hanging from a neck lanyard and carry a notebook or clipboard while going door-to-door, asking for donations. If I choose to answer the door, I do it the same way you do.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I opened the door a couple times this weekend with just myself and my girlfriend at my house. Grab the .40, place it in an easy-to grab place, check the peep-hole and open door. Both times it turned out to be a neighbor and good friend. I'd have still opened for someone I didn't know. In that case though I'd have had my foot blocking the door, as well as most of my body mass behind it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'm with varob. I open the door when someone knocks, too. Im not one to say you were wrong, or to chastise you, for answering your own door. You took precautions and that makes sense to me.

I do not answer the door for people I do not know or do not expect, sorry but that's the way it is.............No one.

I'd say that you handled that panhandler quite well, no harm done. If people would just quit enabling these guys, maybe they'd figure it wasn't worth the begging...but I understand that they can do quite well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You might have ruined a good time.

Burglars knock before they break in.

Door to door panhandling ? what will they think of next.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Black Oak View Post
    You might have ruined a good time.

Burglars knock before they break in.
    LOL, good point! If he had hid behind his door in silence, maybe a back entrance would have been breached ten minutes later. After all, no one was home ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    About 7:30AM ... car, empty, and a unknown (guy) ... at my door.
    I don't answer such things. But that's just me. (For those who would deliberately misconstrue my motivation, it's because I have better things to do, not out of "fear" and "cowering" behind iron-barred doors.)

I grab my .45 and hold it in my right hand behind my right leg and open the door with my left hand, only a few inches with my booted foot behind the door as a stop, as the dog is ready to go for the jugular.
    It's times like this when I admire the utility of intercom systems, "speaking" windows off to the side and out of view (through which unknowns can be seen and identifying conversations can occur without being seen).

At any rate, it's a bum panhandling. That tired old story about being out of gas and needing to visit his dad in the hospital. He spoke it like a speech, giving me the whole thing quickly and with a lot of detail, like someone lying rather than in a neighborly, conversational way.
    Right in front of your door, he ran out of gas, simultaneous with having a dying relative needing him present, delivered like a memorized speech. It all fits too neatly.

I'm inclined to think of such incidents as burglars scouting the area, as some have suggested. The "proof" of the weakness of his line would be the simple fact that he drove away out of the neighborhood. Out of gas, eh? Yeah.

Overall, I think you did fine. With a large dog as a backup and you having seen the area ahead of opening the door, how you handled it seems fine.

I know that our "cell phone age" has turned many of us harder than we might otherwise be, but the "perfect line" doesn't do it for me either. Still, I'm not a total jerk. I'm willing to help. If he's fresh out of cell phone service, I'll make a call to AAA for towing, the police for assistance, a taxi to get him a ride, and/or the phone number and address of the nearest "rescue mission" facility. He might well have no gas at the moment and a dying relative, but that doesn't mean he's out of cash.

Hence, any of these forms of help should get him on his way. The several that I have helped in this way who have turned out to be gushing in their thanks for the assistance proved by their appreciation the truthfulness of their situation. Most of them, though, have proven by their vehemence and lashing out the truth of their being liars and thieves. However, if he's actually cash-less and lying to me, the degree to which he gets bummed at being sidestepped with such help will seal it for him. For the several dozen times I have used it, I have found this to be a uniquely accurate way to sniff out liars and thieves, most of whom get fairly cranky after being found out, some of whom might well be living as well as I on the volume of such teary-eyed handouts.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The last time I answered the door to someone I didn't know, I was cleaning a rifle and just kept it in my left hand... opened the door, the guy just said (as his eyes grew big) , "sorry I disturbed you " and left in a hurry.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Door to door panhandling ? what will they think of next.
    Bums and hobos have been doing it for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links