Prowler tonight - Page 2

Prowler tonight

This is a discussion on Prowler tonight within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe he wasn't taking a "dump" til he saw your gun...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prowler tonight

Maybe he wasn't taking a "dump" til he saw your gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maybe he has a fetish for dirty overalls? Anyway,glad it turned out good.

You have'nt seen overalls with a trap door ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Maybe some scramlbled eggs over their dog food is in order ? Glad things worked out, but I don't think you've herd the last of the would be crapper/thief.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    What gun did you have with you? It might be a good idea to think about taking a shotgun with you when you are by yourself at night.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Maybe some scramlbled eggs over their dog food is in order ? Glad things worked out, but I don't think you've herd the last of the would be crapper/thief.
    They've been naughty today. I had to bail Hawk (the Lab-o-monster) out of doggy jail. They decided to take the grand tour of town when I got off work. I know I shut the gate, but I guess it didn't fully latch. While I'm happy I didn't have to scrape him up off the pavement, I'm a bit peeved that they couldn't call the number on his collar and let me know they had picked him up. He's super friendly so it's not like it's hard to get a look at his tag. Grrr
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    They've been naughty today. I had to bail Hawk (the Lab-o-monster) out of doggy jail. They decided to take the grand tour of town when I got off work. I know I shut the gate, but I guess it didn't fully latch. While I'm happy I didn't have to scrape him up off the pavement, I'm a bit peeved that they couldn't call the number on his collar and let me know they had picked him up. He's super friendly so it's not like it's hard to get a look at his tag. Grrr
    Blame it on the economy, had it been a little better they might of let it slide, and their safe. To bad the Holiday had no effect on the jail keeper.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Thats the good things about dogs. They can hear and smell things we humans don't. When we had out family dog she tipped us off many times when someone was on the property. Usually coming to the front door. While I live in the city and never put much thought into carrying outside the house on my property. I have read and heard a few things that make me think that this is not such a bad idea, and now do more often. Good thing you were armed as who knows how that situation could have turned out?

Might not hurt to bring a long gun with you from now on. Isolated in a rural area, collecting your eggs on property where no one is actually living, I'd feel much more comfortable leveling a 12 ga. shotgun on the prowler than my pistol. However, your story was great and you handled yourself very well. Cudo's to the dogs for alerting you. It's very easy to get focused on the task you are performing (gathering eggs inside a coop) and not notice someone prowling around outside.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you do bring a longarm I hope you give some thought as to what you will do with it when you need two hands for other task. Also, how will you illuminate a threat when operating a longarm? I myself favor a tactical sling that keeps the weapon in front of my body and a tail cap button light mounted on the long gun.

This situation ended as well as any could, and for that you should be thankful. Not all situations end so nicely. I don't want you to think I am picking on you, or criticizing you, but I would like to give you some food for thought. If you are going to point your gun at another person, that is not the time to be asking questions or talking very much. Short concise commands given in a COMMAND VOICE tend to work best in these situations.

While you were conversing with the one known subject, did you happen to notice the second one? Your attention was diverted when you started talking. That's why talk should be kept to a minimum in this kind of scenario. You don't know that there were in fact two subjects, but I go by the rule of snakes. "Like snakes, when you find one there is another nearby. If you find two, there is a third." Always be looking for the one you haven't seen yet.

Another thing that comes to mind is cover and distance. What was your cover and what did you do to obtain cover and create distance? Remember this, if nothing else, Cover is mandatory, shooting is optional. If this person had a firearm and decided that he wasn't going to submit to you, I contend that you were ill prepared to handle it from what I read. That's OK as nobody, even me, is perfect. The thing is, what we learn from our expiriences and mistakes is a greater benefit than just thinking we are doing it right when we aren't.

I would strongly encouage you to get some low light training with a handheld and a weapon mounted light, as well as how to take a suspect at gunpoint training. The life you save may be your own. With all that said, GOOD JOB! You went home alive, and that's the only goal that matters.

Biker

Very sound and prudent tactical advice from BikerRN.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you do bring a longarm I hope you give some thought as to what you will do with it when you need two hands for other task. Also, how will you illuminate a threat when operating a longarm? I myself favor a tactical sling that keeps the weapon in front of my body and a tail cap button light mounted on the long gun.
    I don't have a SD longarm, it's on the wish list, so for now we're goin with pistols.

This situation ended as well as any could, and for that you should be thankful. Not all situations end so nicely. I don't want you to think I am picking on you, or criticizing you, but I would like to give you some food for thought. If you are going to point your gun at another person, that is not the time to be asking questions or talking very much. Short concise commands given in a COMMAND VOICE tend to work best in these situations.

While you were conversing with the one known subject, did you happen to notice the second one? Your attention was diverted when you started talking. That's why talk should be kept to a minimum in this kind of scenario. You don't know that there were in fact two subjects, but I go by the rule of snakes. "Like snakes, when you find one there is another nearby. If you find two, there is a third." Always be looking for the one you haven't seen yet.
    I had 4 extra eyes watching for anyone else. Had anyone else come up behind me, my Chow dog would have let loose barkin and growlin no doubt, and then it could have gotten ugly. She just might bite if pushed and I probably would have shot someone who pushed us under those circumstances. I only asked the one question, it's not like I stayed for a chat.

Another thing that comes to mind is cover and distance. What was your cover and what did you do to obtain cover and create distance? Remember this, if nothing else, Cover is mandatory, shooting is optional. If this person had a firearm and decided that he wasn't going to submit to you, I contend that you were ill prepared to handle it from what I read. That's OK as nobody, even me, is perfect. The thing is, what we learn from our expiriences and mistakes is a greater benefit than just thinking we are doing it right when we aren't.
    From where he was, the cast iron tank would have been pretty darn good cover as it was mostly between us, and would stop a bullet far better than the wooden storage shed or my truck.
    The guy was hiding and honestly looked scared. He didn't do anything remotely threatening, which is why I didn't really escalate things any further.

As for distance, I moved out to the street. Which did put me in view, but also allowed me an unobstructed 360 view that I felt was an advantage in this particular situation.

I wasn't really interested in holding someone at gunpoint or chasing him down. I have no doubt that Dusti could have tracked him when he took off, but I'm not playin cop. He left without incident, so I let him.

I've felt lots more afraid on a pizza delivery when my gut told me to worry now and I was still waiting on my permit back then. All I could have done that night was run away. I did what I could then, mainly using distance and lying skills to my advantage. Trust me, the nighttime prowler was faaaaaaaaaaaar less threatening than the guy asking me for change for a $100 and then staring at me (I think) trying to determine if I was lying about having it or not (I was)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I agree with both Bark'n and Biker. I think Biker added some good tactical advice. I also think a long gun would be a good idea, something "normal" looking, with a sling, and possibly a mounted light. I know I have used a Marlin .30-30 and .357 lever action, or my Stoeger coach gun as a "fenceline" type gun on my family's property, and it never raises an eyebrow when I walk around with any of those. Of course mounting a light on those takes some creativeness. My M-4 with it's current single point set up and WML could be a better choice, but could also raise some eyebrows. That is a judgement call you would need to make for yourself, if you feel ok with just the pistol, stick with that. But I think a shotgun or pistol caliber carbine could be a good addition to your time out there.

It is hard not to get sucked into your target, it even happens to those who are trained to have it not happen. But generally, like was said above, if there is one, expect their to be two.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I agree with both Bark'n and Biker. I think Biker added some good tactical advice. I also think a long gun would be a good idea, something "normal" looking, with a sling, and possibly a mounted light. I know I have used a Marlin .30-30 and .357 lever action, or my Stoeger coach gun as a "fenceline" type gun on my family's property, and it never raises an eyebrow when I walk around with any of those. Of course mounting a light on those takes some creativeness. My M-4 with it's current single point set up and WML could be a better choice, but could also raise some eyebrows. That is a judgement call you would need to make for yourself, if you feel ok with just the pistol, stick with that. But I think a shotgun or pistol caliber carbine could be a good addition to your time out there.

It is hard not to get sucked into your target, it even happens to those who are trained to have it not happen. But generally, like was said above, if there is one, expect their to be two.
    I was actually more afraid of a second guy coming up while the cops were out searching the woods. I stayed in the back of the truck with the dogs. Dusti was still on high alert watching everything, so that helped a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I was actually more afraid of a second guy coming up while the cops were out searching the woods. I stayed in the back of the truck with the dogs. Dusti was still on high alert watching everything, so that helped a bit.
    Dogs are great, and I hesitate to call them a "tool" but a great defensive tool. We had bomb dogs find several IED's that would have decimated patrols, and I had a big Afghan fighter named Cujo, who ran point with me, and would scare off the rabid and aggressive dogs, as well as alert me when people were coming up on LP/OPs and stuff. I have quite a fondness for dogs, and will be giving some a good home when I am able.

I wouldn't be too concerned about any one showing up after the cops have been there, like others have said, the guy was probably looking for stuff to steal and sell. But that adrenaline/endorphine rush can be quite a ride, and keep you jacked up for a little while.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links