Prowler tonight

This is a discussion on Prowler tonight within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad you made it out the situation unharmed....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prowler tonight

Glad you made it out the situation unharmed.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

I'm curious, how do ya think LEO's would have reacted if you HAD proned out this guy and detained him? Here I'm afraid they'd charge me with some bs. Its weird around here, police don't seem to WANT to catch bg's. We are in a rural area with increasing theft. Mostly gas thefts. Our garage and home have had attempts. Our dog is a boxer and is a pretty terrible watchdog unless our kids are home alone with her...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I'm curious, how do ya think LEO's would have reacted if you HAD proned out this guy and detained him? Here I'm afraid they'd charge me with some bs. Its weird around here, police don't seem to WANT to catch bg's. We are in a rural area with increasing theft. Mostly gas thefts. Our garage and home have had attempts. Our dog is a boxer and is a pretty terrible watchdog unless our kids are home alone with her...
    Proning out a trespasser and holding them at gunpoint by a lone female on some remote rural property after dark would be looked at a lot more favorably than shooting someone. Not to say shooting someone wouldn't be justified if the situation called for it, but as far as all the "red tape" and legal hassles go, not shooting is usually better than shooting. I don't think the police would have any problem with that.

As a matter of fact, I would rather prone them out and hold them at gunpoint than to have them run off into the darkness where you can't see if they are reconnoitering and planning to move against you in an ambush attack. Proned out on the ground where you have an eye and gun trained on them, you know exactly where they are!

Don't make the assumption that just because they ran off into the darkness does not mean they kept running away once they were out of sight.

As long as you can articulate your actions to responding officers in a compelling and reasonable fashion you'll likely be okay. Which is why it's important to learn about tactics, and how to think and act with a tactical driven purpose. The more you know, the easier it is to effectively communicate and verbalize why you did what you did.

But as BikerRN pointed out, don't engage in conversation with them! Command them to keep quiet and don't let them keep looking at you. Command them to turn their head away from you and shut up! You don't want them to keep watching your movements as they formulate an escape plan. Once they turn their head away, move to a different location from where they last saw you, as long as your new position is still behind some form of cover.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice SA, hopefully the dirtbag is gone for good...tough working environment.
    Dogs can make a big difference, too! Give 'em an extra treat.:
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Good to have some 4 legged friends along. Sounds as if you did well, stay safe and alert out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    More proof of the value of dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Good dogs, and good SA!
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    +1 for the dogs and way to keep your composure

^^^^^^AMEN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

to all that.
    Could have ended badly for you, had they not been there.Guy could have bull-rushed you, and things might have gone downhill faster than the Jamaican Bobsled team.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Since you have had some practice at trapping already I'll suggest a bear leg trap. Put it out like any other set with a few tools as bait. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Since you have had some practice at trapping already I'll suggest a bear leg trap. Put it out like any other set with a few tools as bait. :)
    LOL I DID think of that. "Officer, it was for the stray dogs......."

dogs actually did get 6 of my birds in one day, well, the last one came back injured and infection had already set in his puncture wounds so I had to put him down myself. It wasn't the close-by neighbor's dogs though, and the offending dogs haven't been back either so I haven't been able to eradicate the problem.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Might not hurt to bring a long gun with you from now on.
    I've tried doing chores while carrying a long gun. No way. I nearly beat myself to death trying to find a way to carry the sucker without knocking my nose off, or ear, or getting a fat lip. Switched to my .44mag, no more problems.

Tala, sounds like you did everything right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I've tried doing chores while carrying a long gun. No way. I nearly beat myself to death trying to find a way to carry the sucker without knocking my nose off, or ear, or getting a fat lip. Switched to my .44mag, no more problems.

Tala, sounds like you did everything right.
    Well, you definitely have to evaluate what kind of chores you are doing. In Tala's case, she goes to a piece of family owned private property in a remote area after dark, which has no one living on the property. From there, she goes into a chicken coop to gather eggs, feed and take care of the chickens. I don't see too much of a problem bringing a shotgun with you into the chicken coop. You don't have to have it in your hand while attempting to do every chore. You can put it down on a shelf, or against a wall or something. Just have it close by, so if, while you are otherwise pre-occupied inside the chicken coop, someone comes up outside while you are there you have some heavy firepower at your disposal.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Maybe he wasn't taking a "dump" til he saw your gun
    lol'd when i read this.

also, well done OP. and make sure the pups get a good treat.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

next time, if there is one, make the guy toss his billfold & ID to you.... then if you leave a second, it's OK.... the Police will know where to find him.

I've made people on the land go to their car and remove the license tag, then hand it to me. They want to know what I'm going to do with it.... and I tell them ... they can pick it up from the Sheriff. That usually gets the point across and they never return again. Before, they would come back, that method ended that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    next time, if there is one, make the guy toss his billfold & ID to you.... then if you leave a second, it's OK.... the Police will know where to find him.

I've made people on the land go to their car and remove the license tag, then hand it to me. They want to know what I'm going to do with it.... and I tell them ... they can pick it up from the Sheriff. That usually gets the point across and they never return again. Before, they would come back, that method ended that.
    Very good idea!

You do have to be careful as you are asking them to make a movement in which they could produce a weapon of their own, but if the circumstances are conducive, or if you're behind some measure of cover, that's an excellent idea.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Proning out a trespasser and holding them at gunpoint by a lone female on some remote rural property after dark would be looked at a lot more favorably than shooting someone. Not to say shooting someone wouldn't be justified if the situation called for it, but as far as all the "red tape" and legal hassles go, not shooting is usually better than shooting. I don't think the police would have any problem with that.

As a matter of fact, I would rather prone them out and hold them at gunpoint than to have them run off into the darkness where you can't see if they are reconnoitering and planning to move against you in an ambush attack. Proned out on the ground where you have an eye and gun trained on them, you know exactly where they are!

Don't make the assumption that just because they ran off into the darkness does not mean they kept running away once they were out of sight.

As long as you can articulate your actions to responding officers in a compelling and reasonable fashion you'll likely be okay. Which is why it's important to learn about tactics, and how to think and act with a tactical driven purpose. The more you know, the easier it is to effectively communicate and verbalize why you did what you did.

But as BikerRN pointed out, don't engage in conversation with them! Command them to keep quiet and don't let them keep looking at you. Command them to turn their head away from you and shut up! You don't want them to keep watching your movements as they formulate an escape plan. Once they turn their head away, move to a different location from where they last saw you, as long as your new position is still behind some form of cover.
    Bark'n and BikerRN both make excelent points. The idea of having them turn away from you is great! That way if you dialing your cell they don't know if your distracted and it takes a second longer to rise up and turn if they did decide to rush you. I know there was discussion here a while ago about the legallity of holding someone at gun point and whether it crosses into "kidnapping" or such. I think since this was private property hopefully the police would be OK with it, on public property I guess it's best to let them leave if the want to. just be aware of where they went and if they could circle back on you.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Great idea, requiring them to turn away.

What do you do if they do not comply with orders to prone out or to stay put? Not many choices at this point.

That depends on how innovative you are.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It also depends on whether or not you've adequately conveyed the notion that you will shoot if they fail to follow your commands. You have to make "a true believer" out of them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links