Prowler tonight

Prowler tonight

This is a discussion on Prowler tonight within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had my permit for a month and I already had to draw! Not like I was expecting though. I'd figure my pizza delivery job ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prowler tonight

Prowler tonight

I've had my permit for a month and I already had to draw! Not like I was expecting though.
    I'd figure my pizza delivery job is the most dangerous thing I do. Perhaps not?

My chickens live at my in-law's place which is a couple miles from me. There's a bit of theft around there, especially since no one actually LIVES on the property. I had a live trap stolen from there not long ago and I didn't even consider it that valuable. Obviously, I don't leave anything of value laying around. Generally there's not much violent crime though. I feel safe enough going there with my dogs and my gun.

Tonight while I was getting eggs from the coop, my dogs started growling. They don't usually growl when they find a stray cat or somethin. I figured they had found an aggressive raccoon or skunk or somethin. I came to investigate with my LED Maglight and drew my gun. They were growling at a large iron tank that my father in law bought from a scrap yard to cut into sections for giant burn barrels. Great, I was thinking I wish I had the .22 if I had to shoot some critter and thinking about the logistics of shooting near that metal tank.

Turns out, I brought the right gun afterall. There was a strange guy crouched down hiding behind the end of the tank, which is on the other side of a storage shed from where my chicken coop is. Too close for comfort. I lit him up with the Maglight and said "hey what you doin?" and he said he was takin a dump - not likely because he was wearing overalls that were up. I let the dogs cover him and went back out to the street where I could see all around me, and called 911.
    While I was on the phone, we heard him run off through the woods and the neighboring dogs behind our property started barking at him. I told the dispatcher as much. Since he took off, I re-holstered my gun and kept a wary watch, as did the dogs.

Probably 3-5 minutes later (good response time) the first cop showed up. It was one that I've had contact with before and he recognized me. I put the dogs in the back of the truck and told the officer what had happened. I did tell him I had a CC permit and had drawn my weapon when I was expecting a raccoon. (he didn't bat an eye at this) A second cop showed up a minute or two later and they said that one would check on foot and the other had some kind of night vision equipment that he would drive around and use. They searched for a bit and didn't find anyone. I told the officer about my live trap being stolen and figured the prowler was just looking for tools to steal. Since they had cleared the place and I was confident the guy was gone, I went back for my eggs and left right after the cops did.

I have OC'd out there when I was there alone, being our property and all. Nobody has ever asked me about it. I guess if anyone does I'll have a darn good reason to give them.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Sounds like all went well good SA in noticing the change in the dogs behavior.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very well handled. You kept all your advantages and maintained them. Thanks for the report.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    I'd consider a well-hidden game cam (avoid one that has a noticeable flash).
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hey Tala; time to move further north. Mtn Home is good area, and "so far" the crime in the rural areas, isn't too bad. It has picked up more, as the economy went sour, but all in all, still pretty safe to live. But as PPKheat says, a game camera really works wonders. Catchem one time, and hopefully the law will take it from there.

Nice SA, hopefully the dirtbag is gone for good...tough working environment.
    Dogs can make a big difference, too! Give 'em an extra treat.:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All went well, probably just looking to steal some things that were not bolted down, knowing you are not there often. Maybe a camera would be good so you can at least catch this guy.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Lead Moderator
    Good to have some 4 legged friends along. Sounds as if you did well, stay safe and alert out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    More proof of the value of dogs.

Good dogs, and good SA!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    +1 for the dogs and way to keep your composure

Sounds like you did good. + 1 for the dogs.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Sometimes I wonder if I put a little too much faith in the dogs, but then again, they haven't let me down yet :)

One time they ran off a 4-legged varmint, probably a possum or something. They took off after it, same as they do about a stray cat that hangs around the storage shed.
    They were acting funny this time. My Lab dog growled, and he's not the super protective one. I think he saw the guy crouched down. My Chow dog smelled him, but I don't think she saw him from the angle she was at. She was sniffing up by the tank growled and jumped back like she was unsure what to do - which is when I drew my gun because I was expecting possibly a rabid critter or something. I was kinda surprised to find a person.

I have a game cam, I've used out there a lot (with two padlocks on it) but I've never caught much of anything on it. Not even the deer or raccoons that I was looking for.

Sure didn't get much sleep last night after all that excitement.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I hope you bought those dogs some steaks
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I really, really love dogs. I cant imagine being without one.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links