Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

This is a discussion on Guide to surviving the apocalypse. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking that my rabbits and my ammo will come in more handy for bartering than the gold and precious metals those on TV are ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

I'm thinking that my rabbits and my ammo will come in more handy for bartering than the gold and precious metals those on TV are hawking for a monetary collapse. Also those of you with water wells. Can you get the water without electricity or fossil fuels if needed?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

I have a well. I'll tie a bucket to a rope and dip like they used to if that's what it comes to. Why would someone with a good well need fuel for water?
    That's the extent of my plan so far. I do enjoy the thought provoking read these threads provide. The trick seems to be, how much to plan for a stay at home and how much to plan for a hike to the hills. I commend those who plan for both.

With one of the deepest lakes in the country less than a mile away, I'm not too worried about water.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

kpw
    If anyone has seen PA's woods the first day of rifle season, they'll know there ain't going to be any big game for long. My town is an agg. town, about the size of "Jericho" but with a lot more guns!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

So what if your forced to leave your home due to mob threat or just to continue surviving after things run out....then what ?
    This sort of thing makes for a real nightmare scenario especially considdering how many people I know who can't even boil water or light a camp fire with a match let alone flint and steel or drill.
    A real scary thought .......Mobs of inept masses, Madness and Mayhem all rolled up into one. I remember on 9-1-1 when you couldn't even find a cop around the metropolitan area....seemed like they all disappeared / went to Manhattan.
    People were driving the highways with the pedal to the floor and no one around to say Booo.....it was like "Open Season".

A nice 47 foot catamaran stocked and geared up for an around the world cruise could make you virtually independent for a very long period of time. With solar cells and wind vanes to recharge your batteries you could have cold beer and AC all the way down to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Firearms almost never break, and will last 100 years.
    Unless you use them, sure. Revolvers will go out of time with use, autoloaders need recoil springs replaced, and I have had to replace firing pins on both types and both can have little (sear etc) springs fail. All it takes is for a $.50 spring to fail to turn a $1000 wondergun into a paperweight.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

better come up with some kind of roof fire extinguishing system because if I want in I can just fire a couple moltov arrows onto your roof and wait you out. All the ammo in the world cant save you and a determined invader can burn you out, they don't need to have a firefight with you.

An even more sinister and pressing issue is the pandemic from an influenza out break or out of control plague. In that scenario you will have an even more complicated problem, compounded even further by the water plants shutting down and decaying bodies everywhere. Forget guns, clean water , food and the ability to maintain good hygeine and not recieve even a simple scratch will be priorities to those in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    An even more sinister and pressing issue is the pandemic from an influenza out break or out of control plague. In that scenario you will have an even more complicated problem, compounded even further by the water plants shutting down and decaying bodies everywhere. Forget guns, clean water , food and the ability to maintain good hygeine and not recieve even a simple scratch will be priorities to those in the know.
    My concern will be all the desperate, unprepared, city and suburb chuckleheads wandering out to the country to forage for whatever they can from those of us that have prepared and made lifestyle changes to become self sufficient. i see a lot of unfortunate bloodshed and danger for all of us if any of these scenarios take place.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Unless you use them, sure. Revolvers will go out of time with use, autoloaders need recoil springs replaced, and I have had to replace firing pins on both types and both can have little (sear etc) springs fail. All it takes is for a $.50 spring to fail to turn a $1000 wondergun into a paperweight.

I put 30,000+ VERY hot handloads through my S&W 10-5 before I had to replace a spring. My 10/22 is 30 years old and has probably twice that many rounds through it. Firearms MAY break, but most will outlive all of us.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    A nice 47 foot catamaran stocked and geared up for an around the world cruise could make you virtually independent for a very long period of time. With solar cells and wind vanes to recharge your batteries you could have cold beer and AC all the way down to South America.
    I suppose for the fortunate few who have the bucks for such a craft and who live close enough to it so they might actually get to it before it is stolen, that is one of the better plans. Now, when you get to S. Am., do you really think you will be granted entry or will they just turn you away, or shoot you out of the water. Mankind has a peculiar way of being inhospitable to refugees---aka illegal aliens--- and nations seldom hold out the welcome sign, at least not for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I suppose for the fortunate few who have the bucks for such a craft and who live close enough to it so they might actually get to it before it is stolen, that is one of the better plans. Now, when you get to S. Am., do you really think you will be granted entry or will they just turn you away, or shoot you out of the water. Mankind has a peculiar way of being inhospitable to refugees---aka illegal aliens--- and nations seldom hold out the welcome sign, at least not for very long.
    Then there is the issue of piracy you have to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    But surely any country that is protesting the way we treat their citizens who illegally come to the U.S. will act as a shining example to the world as to how we should be behaving, right?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Then there is the issue of piracy you have to contend with.
    True, but possibly not as bad as dealing with crazed hordes.

A few years back a friend and I went on a 3 day kayak camping adventure. Somehow we stuffed lots of modern convenience into the hulls of our touring kayaks, and we disappeared into distant reaches of an extremely large natural lake surrounded by National Forest.
    After the first night we began to ask ourselves how we would fare out there without our portable gadgets; a nifty little wood burning stove, sleeping bags, beef jerky, water filter, etc. We began to consider what we would need to do if we had nothing and actually had to make shelter, and find food, with only the stuff we could grab from the earth, trees, and lake.

Even without having to contend with the possibility of hostile others, and even in moderately good weather and with good quality clothing, it would have been daunting to try to stay for more than a few days and actually live off the land. And this, in a place where fish might have been caught; small game was plentiful, water was abundant, and the only possible enemy would be either a snake or a bear. (National Park, no guns allowed then, bear = big worry.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links