Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

This is a discussion on Guide to surviving the apocalypse. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The more & more I think about surviving the apocalypse - The more & more I'm pretty sure I wouldnt last long. Ive got 2 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

The more & more I think about surviving the apocalypse - The more & more I'm pretty sure I wouldnt last long. Ive got 2 small kids, so id most likely be "buggin-in", and seeing how it all plays out. Quite possibly, I'd make sure I had 4 last ditch bullets to end us before we turn into zombies

2. Remove Ads

Whatever you choose to do to survive the apocalypse, if you "go it alone," good luck.

Statistically speaking, individually (and even in small groups), you are more likely to die.

Community is necessary. The larger and more diverse the community, the greater likelihood of long term survival for the individuals in the community.

Compare Rawles' Patriots to Forstchen's One Second After

A larger population has more skills and knowledge at its disposal. The "patriots" had to take in stragglers to increase their practical knowledge base, and had to team up with larger communities of the like-minded. And, in the end, over 10 years, there was a return to some semblance of normalcy.

The community in One Second After survived one year, until their world began to "right itself." I'll argue that the town in O.S.A. actually had a better chance of survival over the same period of time (10 years), because they had the resources of community to begin with.

In both cases there was attrition, probably the same percentage of group population. So, your individual odds of surviving, are greater in the larger sample.

Taking non fictional examples in the current day:

Most LDS members (aka Mormons) generally believe in preparedness. At least a year's supply of food and supplies for every family and more to "help" the rest of us in a disaster in centralized locations.

The percentage of the rest of the population (of this country, and the world) that believes in preparedness is small.

As a group, which will have the greatest percentage of survivors over the long term?

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the LDS church, I am only using it for an example.

And finally, when it all comes down to it... I will survive as long as I can. As comfortably as I can... at some point (actually every day) it will boil down to a choice... Is the current situation worth surviving? If it's only going to get worse, or stay the same, for the foreseeable future, am I willing to put up with it?
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Community is necessary. The larger and more diverse the community, the greater likelihood of long term survival for the individuals in the community.
    Agreed.
    That said I wonder how many deadbeats the community will allow in? Will it take in people who have no value to the community? Will I be expected to share the load as well as the bounty created by the work of the community?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I suppose for the fortunate few who have the bucks for such a craft and who live close enough to it so they might actually get to it before it is stolen, that is one of the better plans. Now, when you get to S. Am., do you really think you will be granted entry or will they just turn you away, or shoot you out of the water. Mankind has a peculiar way of being inhospitable to refugees---aka illegal aliens--- and nations seldom hold out the welcome sign, at least not for very long.
    South America was only one possible option. With your own boat you could go anywhere. With your own firepower, pirates are no issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    South America was only one possible option. With your own boat you could go anywhere. With your own firepower, pirates are no issue.
    The point I was trying to make is that countries generally do not welcome refugees. My comment wasn't simply about South America.

We Americans tend to think we will be, or should be, or would be, welcome anywhere, and that we can choose to go and live wherever in the world we wish. It doesn't really work that way.

Even today with our society orderly and few wishing to leave, there are many countries which put considerable limitations on our ability to move there, as we do on them as well.

The chances are great that if there was a big event in North America of the sort we are talking about surviving, that much of the rest of the world will be in turmoil too, and few places will be willing to do a thing more than possibly admit us to squalid internment camps.
    And that, only on a generous day. More likely, our boat would get machine gunned.

And then, there is the whole unsavory business of what they would do with us even after we somehow were granted admittance. Here's an old familiar one from recent thread discussions. Would they allow our children birthright citizenship or would they end up as stateless persons?

The world presently has 215 million stateless persons. This is a problem which could be readily addressed but isn't, and I mention it just to illustrate the daunting obstacles that would face anyone fleeing by boat or even by plane, and seeking refuge--- that is, becoming refugees.

There is alot of unpopulated coastline in the world where a small boat could pull in and stay for afew days virtually unnoticed. That plus having the option to move at will makes having a well supplied boat imo, the best course for surviving teotwawki.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Wanna bet?

So true.
    As far as ammo goes there is a point where it is just eating up storage space and funds that could be better used for other things.

Unless you have a belt fed machine gun your never going to hold off a horde of "Zombies" long enough to burn through 30,000 rounds, (not even 3,000 rounds, but you might get off 300 rounds, if their all already in mags.) Before you run out of ammo they will have lit your car on fire and pushed it through your front door. Now that pile of ammo just becomes fuel for the fire.

VIP Member
    There is alot of unpopulated coastline in the world where a small boat could pull in and stay for afew days virtually unnoticed. That plus having the option to move at will makes having a well supplied boat imo, the best course for surviving teotwawki.
    I think you are fundamentally correct that having a well supplied wind powered craft would give the best chance of survival.

My prior comments in this thread were mostly aimed at only the simplistic idea that one could sail into some other country and all would go well. Even landing on some remote coastline or island is no guarantee that you won't be almost immediately taken into custody for illegal entry and placed into a refugee camp--- or, forced at gunpoint to the 12 mile mark.

We don't read much Australian or Indonesian news here in the US, but if we did we would know that there are constant difficulties with
    boat people getting stranded under deplorable conditions, with neither Indonesia or Australia willing to provide even temporary sanctuary.

So, yes, a boat that is well stocked and sea worthy would provide the best chances of survival, but the future would be a very very uncertain one for the adults on board and for their children and future progeny.

There are several international treaties which are supposed to alleviate the condition of the stateless and the refugee, but most countries find plenty of loopholes and excuses for not doing what is their legal obligation and what is morally appropriate.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

How about we find out which state has the most members here on the forum and met up in that state somewhere. LOL
    Last edited by ssmtbracer; December 9th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    How about we find out which state has the most members here on the forum and met up in that state somewhere.
    While we may all have one interest (DC) in common... I doubt that we would agree on much else... especially in the event of a "melt down." And besides, how you gonna get to wherever that is? Where you gonna live once you get there? How you gonna bring all you need for long term survival if it's 1500 miles away?

Nope, that ain't a plan.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I was thinking more along these lines
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I pretty much agree with Gman, but I'll throw a few things out there on some less common things.

Over time, many recognized experts in the field aree that living in or close proximity to a small town (3-6kish) is the best alternative and that stand alone retreats are not viable.

Large game hunting will become nonviable very quickly, at least until the population thins considerably. Small game and gardening will remain viable.

Rechargable batteries and solar chargers for flashlights, 2way radios, etc.

Wind up radios that get tv stations in addition to radio stations and flashlights.

Lots more, but I'll leave it at those for now.

I've got guns, food, water purification systems, comms, tools. etc. The NUMBER ONE prep for the near-term horizon is to relocate to the periphery of a small town, ideally between 2500 and 5000 pop and 50-75mi outside the metro area, and to identify and cultivate mutual aid plans with like minded neighbors while there's still time. I'd also buy some land much further away if I could afford it but alas, I am not blessed with those resources.

One other thing. I'm not convinced that the golden hordes from the inner cities will fan out across the countryside and devour everything they encounter in a critical scenario. City people don't know how to get to the country without roads, and our roads are going to be jammed with cars driven by people trying to get away, soon to be stranded cars that have run out of gas and have been abandoned by their operators where they stand. If the entitled masses are making it out of the city limits, they are footing it, and I just don't see that appealing to the vampires of the streets. Why leave when there will be so much electronics, clothing, flat screen tvs left behind to loot? By the time they figure out that all the cars and playstations they've amassed are worthless without electricity and that food and water are more critically important than Hennessey and scratch off lottery tickets, it'll be too late. Plus, the average responsible city slicker is scared to death of the countryside, let alone its people. The people that comprise the criminal underclass may not be the brightest bulbs in the store, but they aren't stupid enough to poke around in the sticks where they don't belong but where the rural folks have been quarrying game and splitting wood since they've been knee high to a duck.

I wish I'd seen the light sooner. I've only had my eyes opened since Katrina, and have been living the lifestyle only for a few years. Now I fear that there won't be time for me to acquire the skills and trades that I'd like to be able to bring to bear if there isn't work and ATMs on which to rely.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    While we may all have one interest (DC) in common... I doubt that we would agree on much else... especially in the event of a "melt down." And besides, how you gonna get to wherever that is? Where you gonna live once you get there? How you gonna bring all you need for long term survival if it's 1500 miles away?

Nope, that ain't a plan.
    I was joking I forgot to include the LOL I fixed it.

Not saying a boat isn't a bad idea, especially to avoid the traffic congestion, and if it's a sail boat it doesnt need fuel. You could pack a lot of food and water on a good sized sailboat and make a run for better location. As far as fire power though if your a sail boat and run up against some od the Somalian pirates with their RPG's you may have a problem.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links