Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

This is a discussion on Guide to surviving the apocalypse. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I take no responsibility for any actions you take based on what you see here. This is not a discussion about theories on what an ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

Guide to surviving the apocalypse.

I take no responsibility for any actions you take based on what you see here.This is not a discussion about theories on what an apocalypse is,simply my view on surviving at home for weeks at a time in the likely case of a breakdown.For someone in the city,they may not have to worry about being cut off from power and supplies.But for us in the country,this may help those interested in hunkering down in the bunker.Please share with me your thoughts,how i can make improvements,what your ideal setup is.

First off,lets start with the obvious here.Guns and guns.Running out of food is never fun,so being able to hunt is important here.Budget is taken into consideration,you dont have to make 6 figures to follow this.

A scope is a must on a hunting rifle,and being able to remove it is nice for being in thick brush,as you might be with a wild pig encounter.Those things are not nice,so i like something quick and powerful.Big Horn Armory makes a lever rifle chambered in .500 S&W magnum.They have two different barrel lengths,22 and 18 inches.I have the 18" model.Pretty well rounded i think.

Shotguns are nice for birds,rabbits,possums,and intruders.In this instance,it is nice to stock up on different loads.I currently have 7.5 shot,4 shot and 1 shot.A light is a good idea,Surefire is recommended.I do not like pistol grips,not easy to maneuver.Recoil control with this is not necessary with practice.

A pistol is what i consider mandatory to have as i carry every day.A backup gun is also nice.I wont dare go into what i think is the best pistol,just that .45 acp is fairly cheap and has good stopping power.Night sights are very much appreciated when preparing for anything.

I consider it important to have your guns loaded and immediately accessible,especially when sleeping.

Now for the technical things.We need several gallons of clean water,and a few gallons of fuel for running things.Lighters,tools,spare parts for guns and vehicles.We need tons of batteries.Waterproof flashlights of different illumination ability.Freeze dried foods and MREs are ideal.Just add water.A generator is wonderful to have,just use sparely.

How do you protect all these things? Im not technological smart,i dont have alot of cameras set up or alarm systems.I do have a couple small hoses running across my driveway that are hooked up to a loud ringer so i know when someones coming.My driveway is about a 1/4 mile long and is curvy.I have a hose at the start rated to go off when at least 500 pounds goes over it.I also have a floodlight outside.

Something to consider is how to know someones in your house? Dogs? An alarm,especially if you live close to town.I find that closing my bedroom door and leaving all other lights on is good.I can not worry about having a shootout in the dark,and can see a shadow if someones in front of my door.

I made some 'doors' out of steel to cover my windows.Just add some hinges and a lock.All my doors are made out of solid wood,no cheap hollow things full of breakable glass.Tripwires about 1 foot off the ground i set up every night in front of my exterior doors.My garage has no windows.Some on here,whether jokingly or not,consider it unwise to give away all your details in case someone came after you.Well im here to say that if you can track me down when i have given no names or indication where i live or where i go to eat,have fun trying to kill me.

Your turn.

2. Remove Ads

If you are really serious about surviving something like this, you will first develop skills to live on the land without firearms, and then the firearm takes its rightful place in the grand scheme of things; a tool of convienance that makes life easier. Without real working knowledge of how to live off the land, all the guns in the world will not save you, only prolong your miserable existance.

You will at sometime become a sitting duck and your house turning into a death trap as the have nots become desperate.
    There has been so much crap written about stuff like this, that from reading what other people think and put priority on, I have concluded that I will be very lonely, due to the attrition rate caused by ignorance.

There will be plenty of weapons left for the taking by those who have starved to death, lacking the basic skills to survive the first 30 days. Yes, the attrition rate of the ignorrant will open oppurtunities for others.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; December 5th, 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

There is plenty of bs out there like this,you are right.I am not here to show people how to build a bear trap out of firewood.I may have a misleading title though.I just want to see how everyone else is preparing for a possible breakdown when the hospitals and power companies will not be operating at full benefit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you are really serious about surviving something like this, you will first develop skills to live on the land without firearms, and then the firearm takes its rightful place in the grand scheme of things; a tool of convienance that makes life easier. Without real working knowledge of how to live off the land, all the guns in the world will not save you, only prolong your miserable existance.

You will at sometime become a sitting duck and your house turning into a death trap as the have nots become desperate.
    There has been so much crap written about stuff like this, that from reading what other people think and put priority on, I have concluded that I will be very lonely, due to the attrition of ignorance.
    You mostly took the words out of my mouth. If you don't know how to live off the land to start with, if you don't know how to secretly shelter, if you don't know how to stay hidden to start with, all the firearms in the world won't help you. Someone with more knowledge will just relive you of yours.

I'm not into the survival game other than keeping a few days supplies and lots of medicine. But for those who await nuclear catastrophe or catastrophic civil unrest, or plague, merely being armed and merely having a supply of stuff, won't be sufficient.

Again, I'm not into the survivalist mentality. If things are that horrendous I'll just put one in my head. Not much point wandering a desolate and hostile landscape any longer than necessary when the end is going to be the same no matter what is done.

There are 300 million people who are going to be trying to survive, and there just simply ain't enough wilderness for more than a couple million, tops.

I pretty much agree with Gman, but I'll throw a few things out there on some less common things.

Over time, many recognized experts in the field aree that living in or close proximity to a small town (3-6kish) is the best alternative and that stand alone retreats are not viable.

Large game hunting will become nonviable very quickly, at least until the population thins considerably. Small game and gardening will remain viable.

Rechargable batteries and solar chargers for flashlights, 2way radios, etc.

Wind up radios that get tv stations in addition to radio stations and flashlights.

Lots more, but I'll leave it at those for now.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I pretty much agree with Gman, but I'll throw a few things out there on some less common things.

Over time, many recognized experts in the field aree that living in or close proximity to a small town (3-6kish) is the best alternative and that stand alone retreats are not viable.

Large game hunting will become nonviable very quickly, at least until the population thins considerably. Small game and gardening will remain viable.

Rechargable batteries and solar chargers for flashlights, 2way radios, etc.

Wind up radios that get tv stations in addition to radio stations and flashlights.

Lots more, but I'll leave it at those for now.
    The radio and flashlights are OK for a short term deal, but if you are anticipating "the big one" I don't think you should expect any
    broadcasts.

Tanto didn't need "no freaking flashlight." :) Besides, why risk revealing your position to others who might think eating you beats eating berries and nuts?

With a radio that will pick up various types of broadcasts, it could still be of use, even in "the big one".

Tonto, be out in the woods, in my house/yard in the fortified small town, a flashlight will be very useful after dark as an addition to laterns.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"People only see what they are prepared to see." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since our nation is filled with people watching "Dancing with the Stars" instead of reading, taught in school not to think critically, more involved with today's materialism than tomorrow ect.......I expect there will be close to 300 million wandering about waiting for the government to feed, clothe and shelter them...until they realize the government FREE STUFF isn't coming, that the government caused it and then 300 million rioters in the streets..... I certainly would not want to be in or near any of those cities that have come to expect "the government will take care of us" when the grocery shelves are empty, the unemployment checks stop coming, food stamps are worthless, or even when the troops come to "restore order".

Just one thought on this topic though: ask any GRUNT what happens to a fixed position fortification (BUNKER) ? I suggest : while BUNKERS are nice for storage.....well, ah....have a Plan B too. Huh?!
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    For someone in the city,they may not have to worry about being cut off from power and supplies.But for us in the country,this may help those interested in hunkering down in the bunker.Please share with me your thoughts,how i can make improvements,what your ideal setup is.
    If some type of "apocalypse" happens, or a simple power failure scenario, people in the city would probably be more worried than those in the country. I would much rather be "hunkering" in the boondocks rather than in midtown of any city in the country.

First off,lets start with the obvious here.Guns and guns.Running out of food is never fun,so being able to hunt is important here.Budget is taken into consideration,you dont have to make 6 figures to follow this.
    As everyone else has said, guns are not the be all/end all. If your guns are all you have I'll just wait for you to die and then your stuff will available to me when I come foraging. Spend some effort learning to survive, not just how to carry a gun.

A scope is a must on a hunting rifle,and being able to remove it is nice for being in thick brush,as you might be with a wild pig encounter.Those things are not nice,so i like something quick and powerful.Big Horn Armory makes a lever rifle chambered in .500 S&W magnum.They have two different barrel lengths,22 and 18 inches.I have the 18" model.Pretty well rounded i think.
    Nothing wrong with a scope, but I don't believe it is a must. While you are out making a lot of noise with your .500 S&W Magnum, and broadcasting your location, I will be trying to remain as quiet as possible. If you can't afford a silencer for your hunting rifle, I would probably opt for something using subsonic ammunition or maybe even a .22 rifle. And that would be if the snare failed and the fish weren't biting.

Shotguns are nice for birds,rabbits,possums,and intruders.In this instance,it is nice to stock up on different loads.I currently have 7.5 shot,4 shot and 1 shot.A light is a good idea,Surefire is recommended.I do not like pistol grips,not easy to maneuver.Recoil control with this is not necessary with practice.
    You might want to throw in some 00 buck and some rifled slugs as well. I really like Surefire flashlights, too. But you might want to consider getting something that uses common batteries, too. I would hate to be looking for special batteries if we really did find ourselves in an apocalypse.

I consider it important to have your guns loaded and immediately accessible,especially when sleeping.
    Well, yeah. For those that are foolish enough to keep their guns unloaded when there is not an apocalypse going on, after an apocalypse would really be crazy.

We need several gallons of clean water
    Several? I think you need a little more than several. Think in barrels, not gallons.

a few gallons of fuel for running things
    A few? Like water, I think you might need more than a few. A few would not be enough for "running things" for very long. I would again start thinking in barrels instead of a few gallons.

We need tons of batteries.
    Several gallons of water, a few gallons of fuel but you want tons of batteries? Wow. I guess they might be good bartering items so you can trade for fuel and water.

Waterproof flashlights of different illumination ability.Freeze dried foods and MREs are ideal.Just add water.
    The problem is that you only put up several gallons of water. Go heavy on the MREs. At least you can use the same water over and over to heat them up.

A generator is wonderful to have,just use sparely.
    You will have to use it sparingly with only a few gallons of fuel stored.

How do you protect all these things? Im not technological smart,i dont have alot of cameras set up or alarm systems.I do have a couple small hoses running across my driveway that are hooked up to a loud ringer so i know when someones coming.My driveway is about a 1/4 mile long and is curvy.I have a hose at the start rated to go off when at least 500 pounds goes over it.I also have a floodlight outside.
    With no power the floodlight will not be operable. If that ringer depends on electricity, it won't either. Keep the dog.

Something to consider is how to know someones in your house? Dogs? An alarm,especially if you live close to town.I find that closing my bedroom door and leaving all other lights on is good.I can not worry about having a shootout in the dark,and can see a shadow if someones in front of my door.
    If you don't have power, most alarms will be useless. I would opt for the dog. Then you can leave your bedroom door open and eliminate the idea of shooting someone that you have not identified through a door. Besides, without power, your lights aren't going to be on and with only a few gallons of fuel, you are not going to be able to run your generator, if you have one.

Some on here,whether jokingly or not,consider it unwise to give away all your details in case someone came after you.Well im here to say that if you can track me down when i have given no names or indication where i live or where i go to eat,have fun trying to kill me.
    I am one of those that would consider it unwise to give away all of your details IF you have a good survival plan. In my IMHO, you have an inadequate plan and should rethink yours. Maybe do some serious research if you are really concerned about it. People can find people on the Internet and with your less than basic plan, you might just be worth finding if the S did HTF. I'm thinking you might be easy pickins.
    While you still have blood in your veins and breath in your lungs, keep fighting.

Basic rule for water is three gallons per person per day. Freeze dried food is nice for back packing and is convenient for long term storage, but it must be properly re hydrated before eating, or it will dehydrate you. If you have a well or other source of safe clean water independent of some kind of utility type set up great. If not you might do better looking at foods that do not require water for prep.
    As far as learning what is going on in the world, have an AM radio. Broadcast AM signals will carry hundreds of miles. FM, not so much. When I was a kid in the suburbs of Washington D.C. I could routinely listen in the evenings to WKBW in Buffalo New York. FM you are lucky if you can get a D.C. station in Baltimore.

Most generators running at 50% load will get you about eight hours on five gallons of fuel. If we are talking a long term scenario, how much fuel do you have on hand and what will you do when that runs out? What do you really have to have house current for? Might you be better off with a couple of car batteries, a solar charger for them and an inverter?

As far as stuff to shoot with goes, the more common the better. If something breaks, you either need plenty of spare parts on hand, or someplace nearby you can find the parts. Caliber choice is tricky. If you get something common, you can trade for ammo. However, if it is common, people will want take your ammo. An AR with spare upper in something like .204 Ruger could be the ticket.
    I would expect shooting migratory birds I would probably use my shotgun, any other critters I would probably take with a .22. Whenever possible I would try to use .22 shorts and keep things quiet. Using anything more on a typical cat or dog (sized) is overkill and wastes meat and does needless damage to the pelt.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

My wife and I have guns, shotguns, rifles, and handguns, and we practice at the range; ammo, standardized on caliber, including 12 ga 00 buck shot for crowd control; food, everything we can fit in our controlled temperature living space; water, two 5 gallon containers for bugging out; emergency supplies, batteries, blankets, radios, flashlights, lightsticks, ponchos, mylar blankets, MRE's; and a plan. When the riots start, we're headed for a not so undisclosed location where we have shelter and water.

One scenario I do not have a plan for is a return to the dark ages, or more realistically, the turn of the 20th century before the industrial age and penicillin. I'm not in a position to become a blacksmith, sawyer, weaver, or carpenter. Although, Jesus was a carpenter, and Paul a saddle maker, so I suppose there is hope.

The more likely scenario is a gradual decline and an increase in violence. How bad it gets is anyone's guess. The level of violence will be in inverse proportion to our government's ability to maintain basic services. One book I can recommend is, JW Rawles novel, http://www.rawles.to/patriots.htm

One thing I know for sure, I don't want to be anywhere near a city when the riots start
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Besides, why risk revealing your position to others who might think eating you beats eating berries and nuts?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    One thing I know for sure, I don't want to be anywhere near a city when the riots start
    That means you and a few million others will be headed to the general vicinity of the place I'd planned to go to ground since before the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Its really futile in today's highly populated US to think you (generic you meaning most folks) can survive a big one for long. Truth is a few older teens and young adults might. A few grizzled old wise and clever folk might, but they will be rare exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Its really futile in today's highly populated US to think you (generic you meaning most folks) can survive a big one for long. Truth is a few older teens and young adults might. A few grizzled old wise and clever folk might, but they will be rare exceptions.
    Exactly true.

Population will decrease exponentially in the first few weeks, since most people, probably myself included, aren't equipped or physically capable (certainly my case) of doing the strenuous work that's going to be required to survive very long. Batteries and fuel storage are for the short game, and if you're relying on them you'll be dead shortly. Guns won't be of much use in the first stages, as most people don't have them and will assume that if you've got one you're guarding something valuable. You can't stock enough ammo to stave off the hordes of people who want what they imagine you to have if you're defending it with a gun. Whether you actually have it or not is irrelevant, they'll assume you do if you appear to be a survivalist-type.

Best bet is to band with other trusted neighbors if you live in a rural area. God help you if you live in a city. None of the options are very good.
    Last edited by dogzilla; December 6th, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links