proud of the 4 legged member of the house

This is a discussion on proud of the 4 legged member of the house within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The other night while my fiancé was in the shower, I stepped out our side door to grab something out of my car. On my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proud of the 4 legged member of the house

The other night while my fiancé was in the shower, I stepped out our side door to grab something out of my car. On my way back into the house I remembered a plastic plant potter that was broken under our back porch that I figured I would grab and throw away while I was outside. Evidently I hadn't fully shut the side door and it was slightly cracked, our 9 month old jack russel heard something and decided to go investigate. Where I was standing I could see through the slats of the porch and hear him walking out, when he noticed someone/something was next to the porch he started growling and barking as fierce as a little jack can and came running at the stairs of the porch, until I said calm down its only me. He then went back to wagging his nub of a tail and trying to jump on me and play.

Probably no big deal for most people, but we don't get many visitors at our house. The ones that come, he is friendly towards since we aren't nervous around them or anything. I have long been interested how he would react to a stranger or a person when neither my fiancé nor myself was around. Well he passed with flying colors in my opinion and is very reassuring. Time will tell to see how alert he is at night and if he is a light sleeper, haven't had any episodes of him waking up barking at hearing something.

I had my doubts about our Lab-o-monster as well. He loves everybody (as Labs are well known for) but he barks if he is "unsure" about someone or something. If it's very unusual, he will even growl. He doesn't take kindly to people crouching around and acting funny in the darkness.

I figured this out similar to you did, one day I sneaked around the back of the house in the dark and he actually growled a little at me, and then slowly you could see the recognition wash over him and his tail started to wag. Since then he has warned me of a prowler. Yup. Can take him anywhere with pretty good confidence that he won't bite anyone just because he doesn't know them, but at least he knows when something is "off" about the situation.
    Bones for the dogs!!!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by nysos View Post
    The other night while my fiancé was in the shower, I stepped out our side door to grab something out of my car. On my way back into the house I remembered a plastic plant potter that was broken under our back porch that I figured I would grab and throw away while I was outside. Evidently I hadn't fully shut the side door and it was slightly cracked, our 9 month old jack russel heard something and decided to go investigate. Where I was standing I could see through the slats of the porch and hear him walking out, when he noticed someone/something was next to the porch he started growling and barking as fierce as a little jack can and came running at the stairs of the porch, until I said calm down its only me. He then went back to wagging his nub of a tail and trying to jump on me and play.

Probably no big deal for most people, but we don't get many visitors at our house. The ones that come, he is friendly towards since we aren't nervous around them or anything. I have long been interested how he would react to a stranger or a person when neither my fiancé nor myself was around. Well he passed with flying colors in my opinion and is very reassuring. Time will tell to see how alert he is at night and if he is a light sleeper, haven't had any episodes of him waking up barking at hearing something.
    So...was he ready to tear off one of your toenails?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Our "four-legged" friends can become quite an asset for the home front. Cheaper to feed and maintain than an alarm system, and a lot warmer. LOL!

Super deal. Sounds like you have a good little watch dog there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

They did good.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    So...was he ready to tear off one of your toenails?
    Actually, pound for pound terriers (terrorist) as my wife calls them are more alert and unafraid than larger dogs. Sure they couldn't go tooth to boot with a BG and win as easily but they sure as heck will try and are not about to back down. As alarm systems they are great! our little dog is simular to a Mountain feist. They are sight, smell, and sound hunters so nothing escapes them.

We have a large Lab too, and though he's gentle, I have seem him raise his hackles and growl and bark when someone he doesn't know enters the house. He's actually a little more agressive than most Labs.

While at work one evening (I work 2nd shift), my wife had a knock at our front door at 9 pm. She was home with our 4 year old, the 65 lb Bassett Hound and our 85 pound Shepherd/Huskey. The dogs did their jobs in alerting her and letting whoever it was know to move along. The Bassett may be nothing more than a floor obstacle most of the time and the Shepherd/Huskey's a big baby, but they sure have big barks. Plus, it helps that the wife's a decent shot. I wouldn't want to get between her and our little girl.

jyo
    A few years back, there was quite a problem locally with houses being broken into---my house remained safe probably because my two large dogs protected the house from their large fenced-in yard (surrounding my house). Mans best friend---but a women is also handy to have around!

PM
    I am not sure of either of my hounds; one a minpin mix; the other a lab/boxer mix (yeah that lab I will love anyone with food mindset) neither bark when when there is a knock at the door nor do they get all the upset about people walking by though the little dog does bark some if outside and someone walks down the alley but that is more becasue the other dogs in the hood are barking. Then again I alway thought my old lab mix would have shown you the treasure till I saw her go off when we got taken by surprize by a couple of folks walking up from behind; she growled and did the mean dog stare! The folks meant us not harm but then again if they had they saw what they had to deal with!

Pictures!

mkh
    We have a Golden Retriever and sh has never met anyone that she wasn't happy to see.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Excellent, you would be surprised as to how many people are afraid of those little munchkins running around with teeth. Good for him.

Heck, even my Golden Retriever surprise me a few weeks ago and came unglued on a stranger at the door. He made me proud.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I'd trust the dog's instinct.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've often wondered why dogs decided to throw in with humans, but I'm glad they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links