Driveway Alert Sounds - Advice?

This is a discussion on Driveway Alert Sounds - Advice? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in the country and have a long driveway. I have a cheap driveway alert from Harbor Freight that occasionally sounds due to deer, ...

I live in the country and have a long driveway. I have a cheap driveway alert from Harbor Freight that occasionally sounds due to deer, etc.

It sounded a few minutes ago which is why I am still up. (Apparently a rabbit)

I always get up and verify the source to be sure there isn't a BG involved.

Here is how it went:

Grabbed Ruger 345 (so far so good!)
    Could not find pants to put on - (eventually did)
    Could not find shoes - when I did I didn't bother to tie the laces
    Could not find weapons light to slide onto rail (next to gun but it was dark)
    Grabbed other flashlight next to gun.
    Verified no outside motion sensor lights were activated.
    Could not open front door with one hand - need to fix that!
    When I slipped out the front door, the motion sensor light came on lighting me up and blinding me!

When my driveway alert sounds (averages about once every 6 weeks) it makes for a nice drill since you can never be sure it IS a false alarm.

Some of these problems I still need to fix - like my front door and turning the outdoor motion sensor light OFF before I walk in front of it. My light should have been on the rail - not detached.

Do you guys have any tips such as how to "get dressed" quickly or any other suggestions that might help. My main problem seems to be a slow response time.

Thanks!

For the sensor, I would say set it higher (so you don't get the rabbits or squirrels, but the occassional deer); also, include a game camera that works in IR.

Secondly, as far as getting dressed, I have put my pants/boots together on the floor next to me, so that when I put my feet down, I put them in my boots, and pull the pants up. Keep the lights off. You do have a cell phone handy/charged, right? I wouldn't put the light on the gun, IMO/E...if the "target" is not something you want to kill or destroy (like child, friend, cop, neighbor) it would be tragic to have an ND if you get spooked.

v/r
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I remember a "get dressed" thread going with lots of input and tips on getting out of the house quickly. I can't find it to post a link for you; it was about a year ago?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    One suggestion, since the gizmos are inexpensive, get another one. Set it a few yards further up your driveway and aim it in the opposite direction from the first.

Why would you go outside your house and then get lit up by your own lights? Talk about presenting a good target, should there be a BG out there. I'd re-think your entire plan.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'll do a search on "getting dressed" but the idea about the pants over the boots might be nearly impossible to beat. I didn't PLAN to have my own motion sensor "light me up". This just shows what lack of "training/practice" does for 'ya. I need to turn off any light I am about to walk under. I'll never remember to do this unless I practice it.

In the wee hours of the night NO ONE should be outside. Neighbors are pretty far away. All friends and relatives know to call before coming by.

I do keep a charged cell phone next to me but never considered taking it outside with me. I guess I assumed my wife would call if it was necessary. It would likely take a while for police to respond here though.

Im my younger days I "covered" an unexpected relative around 3:30am but my finger never entered the trigger guard. I think he needed a change of underwear afterward.

I will put up a second sensor and I am going to try to set up a camera for that area and connect it to my bedroom TV. By the time I get my pants/boots/gun, my wife should have an image of the area (infrared) on the bedroom TV.

Thanks for the replies!

Btw...I wasn't clear earlier....I do not recommend leaving the safety/security of your home. Set your lights up so you can see your property from the inside. It is a good idea to be dressed...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You can also get those pressure sensors, basically like those air hoses at full service stations. Bad part is that it covers only vehicles - not people walking up the driveway.

you could always get ones there cheap IR cameras,so you can look at the area inside
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    you could always get ones there cheap IR cameras,so you can look at the area inside
    Yup. And, as I recall, some "normal light" cameras also have IR capability. (or is it the other way around?)

Back when I lived away from everyone, I'd just walk outside at night without bothering to get dressed. Put some shoes, slippers, or flipflops on, sure. Pants? Why?

Have everything staged first off. But I vote against rushing outside to unknown/possible threat. It leaves family members(unless you are organized and HAVE a pre-planned response)vulnerable. Recommend camera covering motion sensor for obvious reasons but it also catches the perp who may disable/re-direct motion sensor. A good electronic force multiplier is a PA system(hard wired ONLY, cheap cameras w/ audio effectively bug YOU ) set to listen outside imho.Buy no 2.4ghz crap! Advice I got here awhile ago which works really well. I remember a year or two ago in PA a guy was loured outside and shot dead by a perp who set is car on fire in guys driveway. Current law protects you better if you remain in the home most states.Unless ya got a castle doctrine.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Mine field... In concentric rings, 10', 30', 50' from the house, mix between pressure, toggle and tripwire. Nothing getting close to the house.

Seroiusly though, first, put the light on the gun, don't leave your self scrambling to find it. Second, as mentioned, a second motion sensor, in succession to the first, preferably with a different alert so that by order, you can tell which direction the object is traveling. Third, set motion lights with sensors covering all entrances to the house. then you know when there is entry being made and you are able to stay in your house, with the lights off, with the element of surprise, and meet intruders at their point of entry. Now, I'm not sure about the limitations of any castle doctorines you may have in Ky, but you are going to be in better shape if you are defending yourself in your home as opposed to confronting a threat outside, so, you now do not need to be dressed to clear the home, stay inside.

I remember the "getting dressed" thread from around a year ago as well and one major point made there was that by being undressed, you are naturally creating a diversion to any intruder, so, as long as you are in your home, you might be better off clearing in your night clothes, whatever they may be.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

All entrances have motion sensor lights. I have a total of 4 driveway alerts now (they are cheap). I only have the one deployed though. I have a color camera (wired) that has limited IR capability. My problem now is that it is too cold and icy (recent ice storm) to install them.

My new plan (based on all the posts here) is to install the camera to cover the garage end where I cannot see. If I stand in the living room, I can see the front and rear doors. If the lights come on I can see them but they likely can't see inside the house. (Lights will be off inside).

If I switch on the TV I will be able to see the "hidden area" next to the garage. I can decide what to do based on what I can see out the windows or with the camera.

Hopefully I will be better able to assess the situation that way. I should be able to just jump out of bed, grab the Ruger (with the light on it now) power on the TV and then see what's outside the windows and on TV.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Even if you turn your "castle" into a fortress, the rabbits and deer don't care.

As for getting dressed, the last thing anybody planning to enter my house in the wee hours needs to be concerned with is seeing me in my underwear. I think his attention is gonna be totally focused elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links