Detroit cuts 20% of police patrols, among other services

This is a discussion on Detroit cuts 20% of police patrols, among other services within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like Detroit wouldn't be a place to be right now: Link...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit cuts 20% of police patrols, among other services

Sounds like Detroit wouldn't be a place to be right now:

Link
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Wow.......

My wife was offered a really nice paying job there about three years ago. When she told me, I laughed and said I am keeping the truck, guns and the dogs. I am not sure they ever filled that position.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

In addition to less capability to respond to the needs of the citizens of Detroit, things just became more dangerous for their officers.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "Sounds like Detroit wouldn't be a place to be right now" Now?

My town did the same thing. I wrote a letter to the local editor lambasting the city council for cutting the LEOs while maintaining the local landscaping contracts (and the illegal aliens employed by same). I stated that I sincerely hoped their next 911 call was answered by a non-English speaking fellow with a trimmer in hand.

The paper printed it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    I wonder how Mayor Bing is thinking ... if he can think at all I mean
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My town did the same thing. I wrote a letter to the local editor lambasting the city council for cutting the LEOs while maintaining the local landscaping contracts
    There is a perfectly good reason for this. During hard times no one is going to pony up hard earned money for non essential services. The city knows this. They also know that if they cut essential services people will be more likely to yell tax us more we can't afford to go without this service.

If you were the City which would you cut if you wanted people to give you more money?

Michael

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    There is a perfectly good reason for this. During hard times no one is going to pony up hard earned money for non essential services. The city knows this. They also know that if they cut essential services people will be more likely to yell tax us more we can't afford to go without this service.

If you were the City which would you cut if you wanted people to give you more money?

Michael
    Gee, I don't know. Mowed lawns or fire and police services. Hummmm. Let's see. I don't recall anyone ever asking for more taxes to be incurred, but city councils do it anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Sounds like Detroit wouldn't be a place to be right now:
    Was it ever a place to be?

I lived In the city of Detroit for 7 years. SE Michigan most my life. Not too fun in that cess pool of a city called Detroit, esp after hours on foot. Anyone recall about 5+ years ago, the City of Highland park (not a small rural city) basically had to disband it's entire police dept due to no funds ? The Wayne county sherriff's dept does patrols and responds to emergencies, or so I believe.

Texas is much more the place to be.

http://abandonedhistory.com/?p=49
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Typical politics as usual. The politicians over spend, lie, steal, cheat, give themselves raises, give their friends sweetheart deals and we get punished for their malfeasance. We need a revolt where they're given the option to cut their own salaries and perks or quit their jobs. They say we all have to sacrifice, which means all of us and none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Typical politics as usual. The politicians over spend, lie, steal, cheat, give themselves raises, give their friends sweetheart deals and we get punished for their malfeasance. We need a revolt where they're given the option to cut their own salaries and perks or quit their jobs. They say we all have to sacrifice, which means all of us and none of them.
    I like to rail against politicians as much as the next guy, but is that really why Detroit is in the situation it's in? I don't have any insight on the matter, but I'm curious. I thought it was just a dying city: overwhelmed by loss of industry, and the weather's not great. Can Detroit's problems be traced directly to corrupt politicians?

I like to rail against politicians as much as the next guy, but is that really why Detroit is in the situation it's in? I don't have any insight on the matter, but I'm curious. I thought it was just a dying city: overwhelmed by loss of industry, and the weather's not great. Can Detroit's problems be traced directly to corrupt politicians?
    This pretty much sums it up. The city has lost its tax base but the politicians refuse to see it. They think the problem is with the taxpayers not giving them enough money. They do not understand that they must adapt their spending to correspond with their income.

Michael

Start at the top. http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis...cNumber=702408 The nice people of Detroit cost the taxpayers millions.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Death of Industry

Well, having lived for close to 30 years in SE Michigan, I've watched a good portion of the region slowly dying. The beginning of the end of was some 50+ years ago with white flight from the city (See Watts Riots) and the growth of the suburbs. Detroit, since the days of Henry Ford was a one trick pony with the auto industry. We've seen this sort of crime and decline in single industry locations (the steel belt in PA etc) in this day and age it just gets more press. As for the politicians being responsible, it can go back to the late 40's and 50's as several politicians that became mayors in the city had corporate ties, several being tied to racketeering and various other sketchy deals. Chicago had/has the Daleys, Detroit for the longest time had Coleman A Young. A well meaning man but an individual that financially ruined the city, the most recent public black eye the city recieved was when former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was indicted on various charges of perjury (they're building a federal case against him and about 20 others right now.) There are good people in the city still, still pockets of hope in a rather desolate landscape, but it's a long uphill fight. At one point, I was looking at purchasing a rather large house with a four car garage.. 4500 square feet, four car garage for 100K. 6 bedrooms with maid quarters.. Private security to patrol the neighborhood.. about an acres worth of property, security system etc.. The clincher was the taxes for the house.. almost 15k per year.. and the failing school system (I refuse to put my 9 year old thru a failing district) so we moved to a quieter suburb with better schools, spent less on the house and taxes.. The problem is greater than any single article can focus on.. A library of books can be written on the failure of Detroit. Can only hope she slowly turns herself around.. If NYC can do it. I think Motown can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links