My Neighborhood Meeting With The Local P.D.

This is a discussion on My Neighborhood Meeting With The Local P.D. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently,the local sheriffs office announced a meeting for my neighborhood.We had a string of thefts,mainly items left in cars.One man had two guns stolen from ...

Thread: My Neighborhood Meeting With The Local P.D.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

My Neighborhood Meeting With The Local P.D.

Recently,the local sheriffs office announced a meeting for my neighborhood.We had a string of thefts,mainly items left in cars.One man had two guns stolen from his car (why were they in his car?) Three patrol officers and three detectives conducted the meeting.The best thing I took from this meeting was this,get to know your neighbors.Watch their property and encourage them to watch yours.One officer really emphasized this point over and over.He said if thieves get the idea that eyes are on them,word will get around.He said this must be a continuous effort.I was happy to hear the officers say for us to call as many times as we need.They cannot estimate response time,but they will come any time they are called.One thing an officer mentioned concerning our 911 system.At times,the system will show a false call.One of my not so smart neighbors had earlier mentioned shooting through the door at potential bad guys.The officer reminded us to make sure who is outside the door,it might be the police.They do not want to be killed by a nervous resident and they announce in a loud manner who they are with badges in full view.It was interesting to get ideas from the people who know how the bad guys operate.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a productive meeting.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Now you know who NOT to borrow a cup of sugar from.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Amazing! I do not know who is scarier. The criminal or the bizarre neighbor who would even make a statement like that to a LEO.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

One of the officers commented on the value of a good security camera system.He recognized a tattoo on one burglar, while viewing a homeowners video,and eventually sent the man to prison.He commented "we have been arresting this guy for 10 years,because of this video,he is gone for a long time"

Did the nice police officers advise people in your neighborhood to 'arm' themselves, get training, and practice?
    Did anyone ask about firearms? Just curious...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Did the nice police officers advise people in your neighborhood to 'arm' themselves, get training, and practice?
    Did anyone ask about firearms? Just curious...
    Several of my neighbors were making stupid comments about shooting people.The officers had enough class to ignore these idiots.The only comment I remember about guns was a warning.The officer said "there are situations where a gun is the only option to defend yourself,just make sure you know what you are doing if that situation occurs" I believe he was sending a message that you shoot to save your life,not out of rage because someone is in your driveway.

i have been to some meetings like that myself lately. the advice is almost exact. we got our nieghbors to put their numbers and e mail on a list and distributed that list to each other. we have a nice little network going and share info about what has been seen and heard. it has brought our block closer together. and the police around here support concealed carry. some of my nieghbors were out walking as a block watch group and a cop stopped and talked to them and he recomended that they carry if they are going to be walking after dark. he never asked if anyone was carrying. also had the same advice about calling, use the non emergency number to report anything suspicous. sometimes nothing leads to something.they said to call even if its for someone that isnt from the area, if a call is made they have reason to stop and talk to that person. find out who they are. they cant stop people at random, but if a call is made that gives them authority to stop them. that, i did not know.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    also had the same advice about calling, use the non emergency number to report anything suspicous. sometimes nothing leads to something.they said to call even if its for someone that isnt from the area, if a call is made they have reason to stop and talk to that person. find out who they are. they cant stop people at random, but if a call is made that gives them authority to stop them. that, i did not know.
    I did, because I've been stopped before. It was an informal stop (I got the impression they were looking for a male suspect so it was pretty obvious right off that I wasn't him) and I had zero complaints with how the officer handled it. He explained that they were looking for someone in the area and when he saw me he had to check it out was all. He said goodnight and drove on.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Just as a light side-note, let me add to this that hardening your neighborhood is primarily a matter of knowing your neighbors.

Watch one another's property.

Challenge strangers.

Just doing that gets you way ahead of the BGs. Maybe your living circumstances don't allow this kind of defense. But if they do, you really need to do it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    The best thing I took from this meeting was this,get to know your neighbors.Watch their property and encourage them to watch yours.
    Joe Horn didn't know his neighbors too well, but he knew them well enough to know who weren't his neighbors.

The police can't be everywhere. Part of being neighborly is looking out for each other. I am not saying I would necessarily take being neighborly quite as far as Joe did, but I certainly wouldn't mind having him next door.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Now you know who NOT to borrow a cup of sugar from.
    ^^^^Took the^^^^^^^

Words right outta' my mouth.

WoW!!!

I don't think I'd go over there if his house was on fire, I'd probably be a target.

Good meeting.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links