what would you do in situation? - Page 3

what would you do in situation?

This is a discussion on what would you do in situation? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by chiefjason You know, the kind where you just shove it in the front of your pants and lift your shirt to show ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    You know, the kind where you just shove it in the front of your pants and lift your shirt to show it off. If they guy has a holstered firearm it would be different. And yes I know you can't alway see the IWB holsters. I'll let my judgement be my guide. If they dress the part, are acting the part, and have the gun just shoved in their pants; then I've got some quick decisions to make.
    I often 'open' carry with a IWB holster, but shirt is tucked inside of it. The gun is quite visible. Whether someone thinks it's in my waistband , or in a holster, I really don't care what they think and don't ask them. "open " carry does not imply it has to be in a owb holster.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I often 'open' carry with a IWB holster, but shirt is tucked inside of it. The gun is quite visible. Whether someone thinks it's in my waistband , or in a holster, I really don't care what they think and don't ask them. "open " carry does not imply it has to be in a owb holster.
    True enough. But add other characteristics that we have no way of knowing and I bet you could get a feel for what he was up to. My guess is that he did not come bee-bopping across the parking lot with the gun exposed. He likely got close first, then pounced. That's the typical scenario at least. So, I see the guy on the other side of the lot and see the gun. My SA goes up until I can get a feel for what he wants. I see a guy unarmed approaching and suddenly there is a gun exposed, my SA is likely going through the roof now. There is a lot more to the decision than the gun here. And I would bet that anyone paying attention would have picked up some tells about what they wanted.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Extract hose, point at robber while maintaining finger pressure on hose valve.
    Oh! So if he fires his gun, he explodes in a beautiful ball of burning BG flesh!

Guantes, I really like you.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I seriously doubt that any shady person described above would have a valid CC permit. In my state you have to run a gauntlet of background checks and pay around $200.00

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    But if he does get lit, I still don't want the paint on my truck getting scorched and blistered by his heat.
    Fixed it for ya !

ALSO, ONE POINT OF CONCERN: All gas pumps don't pump at the same "muzzle velocity", I was at a pump recently and noticed how slow it was, it was pumping about a gallon every 15 seconds. That low-flow might pump out a very unintimidating stream of gas at a BG, in fact it might be so weak that it never reaches him.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thumb the nozzle like a garden hose.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Wonder if the BG was alone in the getaway car or did he have any buddies watching his back (not mentioned either way in the story)? If the latter, what might they have done if victim chose the hose option? Or if victim was armed and went proactive, as described by Bark'n and others, would they have done what many BG's do when confronted by show of strength/confidence and turned tail with no thunder and lightning from either side? Just one more thing to keep in mind, as we all know these kind of scum usually travel and operate in pairs or groups...I guess it gives them the "confidence" they need to do the dirty deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If I see him approaching me with a gun in his waistband, I'm immediately putting my hand on my pistol and issuing a command to back off. If he even wiggles wrong, I'm drawing and he'll have about a half second to decide if he want's to be filled with holes.

The problem is, his gun is visible in his waistband. He could be a ccw permit holder who is just poorly concealing his weapon. His demeanor is going to play an important role as to how far I go with my gun. If he's carrying without a holster, I'm going to be more on edge.

Either way, he's approaching me with a visible gun, therefore, I'm going to have a firm draw grip on my pistol ready to go if he does something stupid. The fact that he's a stranger with a visible gun exposed and is approaching me gives me enough justification clear my cover garment and put my hand on my gun.

Again, his demeanor is going to play a big role in how far I respond.

Note: I considered Guantes' solution, and that may be an option if he got up on me, and took me by surprise. But if I see him approaching from a distance, and see his gun, I think using my own gun is the best response. I don't want to be that close to spewing gasoline if it gets set off unless I have to.
    WHAT ? Hummmm, that almost sounds like a Brady Bunch respone .. "IF I SEE SOMEONE WITH A GUN ". What if the guy is just opening carrying ? AS you said, what if he's just not concealed well ?

I'm not reacting to the fact he's wearing a gun. I'm not uncomfortable at all if someone is approaching me and has a visible gun. Geeez ! ! !
    He's going to have to do more in his actions than that for me to get concerned.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    WHAT ? Hummmm, that almost sounds like a Brady Bunch respone .. "IF I SEE SOMEONE WITH A GUN ". What if the guy is just opening carrying ? AS you said, what if he's just not concealed well ?

I'm not reacting to the fact he's wearing a gun. I'm not uncomfortable at all if someone is approaching me and has a visible gun. Geeez ! ! !
    He's going to have to do more in his actions than that for me to get concerned.
    This is why I really hate responding to a lot of these scenario based hypothetical situations (although in this case it was a real case and turned out to be an armed robbery).

What is hard to always put down in writing when trying to describe a given response is that you can't always cover what is going on in your thought processes based on a totality of the situation and based on all the data you are receiving from all your senses.

In this scenario, there is a stranger quickly approaching me with a purposeful focus on me with a gun sticking out of his waistband. Now anywhere on planet earth, that's a man with a gun. And I'm going to take notice because I don't usually see open carriers in my state. And when I do, they have always been in a holster. The only ones I see going around with pistols shoved in their waistband has been people pulling them out to rob store clerks on closed circuit video. So, when I say in a post, "If I see a man with a gun" should automatically be attributed with a Brady Bunch response is ridiculous.

Now subconsciously I'm processing many things at the same time. For example, I know from experience that people who sloppily carry a pistol shoved appendix carry in their waistband without a holster (ala Mexican carry) more often than not (not always, but more often than not) are Bad Guys, and they usually carry in that manner because they may need to ditch their gun at a moments notice in order not to be caught carrying a gun by police.

As I said, "what if he's an open carrier?" "What if he's a ccw holder and just not concealed well?" Well, those are things my mind is processing in the moments I have to assess his intentions. And as I said earlier... I'm subconsciously evaluating data coming in from all my senses. Some of it is the persons demeanor, his focus on me, the look on his face, the way he carries himself, what is going on around him? Does this stranger has an obvious reason to be approaching me at a quick pace to engage me with a gun shoved in his pants. I can tell you, I'm not just going to let him walk up on me, unchallenged. And I'm likely going to have my hand on my gun. If he is in fact a good guy who is stupid enough to carry his gun unsecured and without a holster, then he's an idiot and asking to be misidentified as a possible bad guy.

To be honest, I don't see how you could cherry pick one comment out of context and spout off that it sounds like a Brady Bunch response. If the guy is in fact a good guy, but is that careless as to how he carries a weapon, then he's an idiot and probably makes a lot of other poor decisions as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links