what would you do in situation?

This is a discussion on what would you do in situation? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/112809439.html A man told Summit County sheriff's deputies he was robbed by another man while pumping gas at a Twinsburg service station. The incident occurred ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what would you do in situation?

what would you do in situation?

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/112809439.html

A man told Summit County sheriff's deputies he was robbed by another man while pumping gas at a Twinsburg service station.

The incident occurred about 10:35 p.m. Saturday at the Circle K on state Route 91.

The victim, a 44-year-old man from Elyria, said he was pumping gas when a man carrying a gun in his waistband approached and demanded money. He surrendered $60 and the robber fled in a dark-colored, four-door vehicle.

The suspect is described as a soft-spoken black male, standing about 6 feet tall with a medium build.

Anyone with information is asked to call sheriff's deputies at 330-643-2131 or Summit County Crime Stoppers at 330-434-COPS (2677).

if it were me, just going off what we know. i see this going 2 ways. first, trying to distract him long enough to get him to look away and draw on him.
    second, giving him the few dollars i have and follow the get away car while on the phone with 911. if my wife and kid are with me i see the my 2nd option being the safer way to go. if im alone, im looking for an opportunity to defend myself.

2. Remove Ads

Extract hose, point at robber while maintaining finger pressure on hose valve.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

We know after the fact, it turned out to be an armed robbery in the story. I don't intend to let it get that far if I have the luxury of seeing a gun on him as he approaches me.

If I see him approaching me with a gun in his waistband, I'm immediately putting my hand on my pistol and issuing a command to back off. If he even wiggles wrong, I'm drawing and he'll have about a half second to decide if he want's to be filled with holes.

The problem is, his gun is visible in his waistband. He could be a ccw permit holder who is just poorly concealing his weapon. His demeanor is going to play an important role as to how far I go with my gun. If he's carrying without a holster, I'm going to be more on edge.

Either way, he's approaching me with a visible gun, therefore, I'm going to have a firm draw grip on my pistol ready to go if he does something stupid. The fact that he's a stranger with a visible gun exposed and is approaching me gives me enough justification clear my cover garment and put my hand on my gun.

Again, his demeanor is going to play a big role in how far I respond.

Note: I considered Guantes' solution, and that may be an option if he got up on me, and took me by surprise. But if I see him approaching from a distance, and see his gun, I think using my own gun is the best response. I don't want to be that close to spewing gasoline if it gets set off unless I have to.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post

im looking for an opportunity to defend myself.
    A snarly civil attorney for the "victims" family would love to pull this statement from an internet forum and use it against you. Just saying, beware what you post.

#2 whether or not kids are with you. He did it right. Other than stopping for gas at 10:30 PM, would have been better if possible to do it earlier.

Good question BTW....possible scenerio.
    Cheers

Probably half of the defensive statements on the forum could be cast in a negative light, if taken out of context.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    giving him the few dollars i have and follow the get away car while on the phone with 911. .
    I liked your option A best.

However, if I'm stuck with your option B stated above then I'm already a victim. At this point he has already robbed you and has left. The only thing I would do is call 911 and try to get on with my life. I most certainly wouldn't follow a BG that I KNOW is armed. If you do this you open yourself up to a BIG can of worms, real life on the street worms and future legal battle worms.

We CCWers are not cops. Leave the police stuff to the police. A CCW is a means to protect your life from deadly threats, it is not a license to fight crime.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I buy gas in the daylight,less criminal activity.It is hard to rob a person at 65 MPH Why go to a store that sells crap gas at night,or why not buy decent gas during the day from Exxon,Shell etc.?I already know the answer,"I go where I want when I want".That is not directed at the OP.I have an instinct for avoiding bad situations.Convenience stores after dark are certainly places you can find problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I buy gas in the daylight,less criminal activity.It is hard to rob a person at 65 MPH Why go to a store that sells crap gas at night,or why not buy decent gas during the day from Exxon,Shell etc.?I already know the answer,"I go where I want when I want".That is not directed at the OP.I have an instinct for avoiding bad situations.Convenience stores after dark are certainly places you can find problems.
    I agree that what you say makes sense and would be the best thing to do. Sadly not everyone has those options available to them. Many people do not work ideal hours in the better parts of town and have to get gas where then can.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Extract hose, point at robber while maintaining finger pressure on hose valve.
    Just because it's a great, simple idea in a pinch. It need to be repeated. I've told my wife the exact same thing. It's going to be hard for the BG to draw when he can't see because of the gas in his eyes. And does he want to risk making himself an instant BBQ by firing his gun?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Good SA also involves common sense and planning ahead when it comes to getting gas at night (I seldom do) or using ATMs (never).
    That said, the same situation could present itself during the day in a mall parking lot.
    Seeing someone approach me with a gun showing in his belt would put me right on edge.
    Although it's not always possible, strangers approaching me are given fair warning to stay back, ignoring that warning does not fair well with me.
    Now a stranger approaching me, gun in belt, and ignoring a warning? The weather report could be calling for 'thunder and lightning'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just what was this guy doing, running around with $60 in his pocket in a neighborhood where a 6-ft. tall medium-build man can't get a decent job with fair pay and good benefits? It was just a good time for a little redistribution of wealth, it seems. Fundamental issues of fairness and social justice, and all that.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My vote goes with the "Hose Him" crowd.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hose him in gas, then offer him a cigarette!

Just a thought, but if one were to hose the thug in gasoline and he then decided to pull the bang switch, wouldn't that be exchanging one scenario of possible death for another? Also, I would have to be in the situation to say whether or not I'd draw (i.e. did he just flash the pistol or actually draw on me, is there possible (non-combustible) cover I could take or is this a "high noon" arena, etc...). All in all - more information would be needed to determine justified use of lethal force (IMO).
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000 View Post
    All in all - more information would be needed to determine justified use of lethal force (IMO).
    Well, actually in this case, it did in fact turn out to be an armed robbery! In which case, lethal force is justified!

Which is why I pointed out in my first post, it is my intention not to let it get far enough to turn into an armed robbery. If I see a man approaching me from a distance as this man did with a gun sticking out of his waistband, I'm going to order him to stop as I clear my cover garment and place my hand on my gun. He's going to have no doubt what I'm doing. His next move is going to determine if I draw and fire on him.

If he's a legally armed citizen, it will be incumbent on him to make that clear by responding appropriately to my challenge command to stop and back off. But a stranger approaching me unannounced with a gun sticking out of his waistband is justification enough of a threat for me to have my hand on my gun and prepared to draw if his next actions prove to be hostile or aggressive in nature.

Again, this in fact, turned out to be an armed robbery, and the man who got robbed had the opportunity to see him coming in advance with a gun plainly visible. What the victim lacked in this case was the ability to stop it from becoming the armed robbery which did in fact play out.

This brings to mind what the Tueller drill was intended to convey to people. When dealing with a combative who has a club or knife in his hand and is within 21 feet or so, you don't continue to deal with him with your gun still in your holster. You deal with him at gunpoint with your gun in your hand.

In this case, you see a stranger approaching you rapidly with a gun sticking out of their waistband. You don't just stand there and watch them continue to come up on you without challenging them and being prepared to respond to any furtive movement they make towards drawing their gun. They already tipped their hand by exposing their means of criminal action. The ball is now in your court, and you either interrupt/disrupt their current path or stand there and wait until it's too late to act.

I can tell you that in situations like this, from the time you see him approach and see his gun until the time it's too late to respond is only going to be about 1- 3 seconds. If you don't have a response to this situation already planned out in advance, you're going to be left standing there with your mouth open thinking, "I can't believe this is happening, I can't believe this is happening!" In the aftermath, if you're still alive, you'll then be thinking, "I can't believe I let this guy just walk right up to me and rob me! He had a gun, I saw him coming, why did I just stand there?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links