Gun to leave home with the wife - Page 4

Gun to leave home with the wife

This is a discussion on Gun to leave home with the wife within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pump shotgun. Either 12ga or 20ga. a 20ga has a very light recoil and would be easier for somebody not familiar with guns to become ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gun to leave home with the wife

Pump shotgun. Either 12ga or 20ga. a 20ga has a very light recoil and would be easier for somebody not familiar with guns to become accustomed to. Besides...Everybody knows how intimidating the sound of the action of a pump shotgun is. If that doesn't scare the intruder away there's always buckshot. A well trained dog is also a plus. Anytime I leave my girl at home by herself I make sure she knows where each gun is and that my heeler is in the house with her.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I would get her a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum revolver with a 3.06" barrel.
    This would work very well, especially if she starts out with lighter .38 rounds...let her work her way up to heavier loads, if needed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Until we get another....when I'm not at home, the only one we have for the wife (and also her favorite to shoot so far) is the Glock 21SF (.45) with 2 mags. We only own 2 guns at the moment (the Glock and my Sig P220 Carry). Probably next year's tax return/bonus I'm going to get the house something meatier and in long gun.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Two words- Taurus Judge. Not a lightweight weapon. But, with a 3" .410 defense shot-shell, you don't really need to aim- just point and squeeze. If you get a six shot, you can load 3 or 4 .410s, and 2 or 3 .45Colts. So, she can just point and squeeze with the .410s as she's getting away, and she can hit at a decent range with the .45s if she needs to/when she can.

I plan to get my missus on as soon as I can afford it. But, basically, I think a .45/.410 would probably be your best bet.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Two words- Taurus Judge. Not a lightweight weapon. But, with a 3" .410 defense shot-shell, you don't really need to aim- just point and squeeze. If you get a six shot, you can load 3 or 4 .410s, and 2 or 3 .45Colts. So, she can just point and squeeze with the .410s as she's getting away, and she can hit at a decent range with the .45s if she needs to/when she can.
    This is a good possibility.
    What I don't agree with this philosophy in bold quoted above. I don't train/shoot this way and don't train anyone, including my wife, with this mindset. I always aim even with a shotgun shooting buckshot...center mass. I would recommend aiming, especially with a handgun. A shotshell isn't a one hit wonder or hit everything in the vicinity type of round.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    Obviously I carry when out of the house, so that led me to ponder what am I doing leaving my wife (and 1 year old daughter) home with no means of defense? I'm going to talk to her tonight, I'm sure she'll ask about pepper spray/taser or whatever but I'd feel better if she had a weapon at home. We live in a neighborhood where the houses aren't far apart (50ft or so). Would pepper spray make sense? She could stop an intruder temporarily to leave the house or try to get away. Another concern would be how well she would do under pressure and aiming the weapon. She's shot a .22 pistol before but we all know that's like shooting an air soft.

Id appreciate any pointers here on what to pursue for a home defense weapon for my wife. I'm open to all suggestions. We live in a nice neighborhood and practice good security with door/window locking. not answering for strangers unless im home, etc. I would just feel better if she had something at home with her.

thanks folks.
    I recommend a shotgun.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I had this same issue when leaving my kids with their grandmother all night(I work at night). She was gun shy at first but after a few range trips and fondling a few guns, wouldn't you know she had a yearning for a Glock 19!! Needless to say I was more than happy to pony up some dough for her wanted choice!

But, if she wants something that she doesn't have to worry about limp wristing(could possibly holding child in one hand) or having alot of things to fumble with, SP101 .357 mag. Keep .38 special in it. If she has a problem with it being loaded in the house, keep it in a central location and have a speed loader or two on her. That way she can load pretty fast and be able to deploy if the need arises.
    Last edited by GlockJS; April 16th, 2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Added info
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links