Gun to leave home with the wife

This is a discussion on Gun to leave home with the wife within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obviously I carry when out of the house, so that led me to ponder what am I doing leaving my wife (and 1 year old ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gun to leave home with the wife

Gun to leave home with the wife

Obviously I carry when out of the house, so that led me to ponder what am I doing leaving my wife (and 1 year old daughter) home with no means of defense? I'm going to talk to her tonight, I'm sure she'll ask about pepper spray/taser or whatever but I'd feel better if she had a weapon at home. We live in a neighborhood where the houses aren't far apart (50ft or so). Would pepper spray make sense? She could stop an intruder temporarily to leave the house or try to get away. Another concern would be how well she would do under pressure and aiming the weapon. She's shot a .22 pistol before but we all know that's like shooting an air soft.

Id appreciate any pointers here on what to pursue for a home defense weapon for my wife. I'm open to all suggestions. We live in a nice neighborhood and practice good security with door/window locking. not answering for strangers unless im home, etc. I would just feel better if she had something at home with her.

thanks folks.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

2. Remove Ads

Whatever she's comfortable or at the very least capable of shooting with some accuracy. If it's a .22 lr pistol, it's better than nothing and is certainly lethal. Something she can access quickly and easily. Also something easy for her to operate, think double action revolver. Take her out shooting to get comfortable with something bigger if needed.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I agree with Joker, I think a DA revolver, in either .38 +P or .357, would be the way to go. She can work her way up in power if she desires, or not. I would not go to a lightweight model and would keep the barrel to at least 3". This is not a carry weaon so the weight is less important. The heavier weight will absorb recoil better for her.

A few trips to the range will instill confidence in herself. It the distances most likely she will encounter, point and shoot should serve her well. That does not mean disregard sighted fire in her practice. Outside training would be useful, if pratical.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have taken a number of female friends and acquaintances shooting, for pistols, they usually prefer either a steel full sized 9mm semi-auto, or a full size steel .38/.357, loaded with .38s in a revolver. They have full grips, and the weight helps with the recoil. Also, with the longer sight radius and things like that, they tend to be easier to shoot.

But get her out, let her try a bunch of different guns if possible, and let her find the one she likes best.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

Having her take an NRA class may help her to feel more at ease also.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would say a short barrel shotty 18 inches is legal in NC idk about where you are....but I wouldnt really worry about shot placement with a shotty lol. Pepper spray may work but you can still swing arms and knives with no vision and a burning face. Most importantly practice... my missed a pumpkin with my shotgun which had a long barrel at 7 yards so u still need to have some practice regardless ...a shotgun might not be comfortable to shoot but in an effort to save herself and your daughter im sure she would rather have a sore shoulder.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

i really want to get a mossberg 500 shotty but something tells me she will frown upon that, not to mention a bit cumbersome in a house. ill talk to her tonight and get her to the range.

she's not gun shy, grew up in a pro gun family so this shouldnt be too hard to figure out with some help from experienced folks as yourself.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

It's not the tool (so much) as it is the training and mindset. You can buy her any self-defense tool, but if doesn't have the mindset or training, it will be useless. Go beyond just buying her a gun.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    If you don't take her to the range it doesn't matter what gun you leave at home. She's going to be too afraid of it to use it. Take her shooting now and whatever you have will be fine as long as she gets used to it.

ETA: Oops the Sig guy beat me to it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Little kid and pepper spray. Hmmm. She is going to need to get the kid out of the contaminated area, with the kid screaming bloody murder.

Taser? That'd certainly break the kid of messing with electricity if he gets his hands on it.

I like the Kel Tec folders for safety and ease of safe storage. Slow to get into action, though.

I like the idea of a shotgun. That is probably the best home defense weapon, especially with a shorter barrel. There is a company that makes a recoil reducing stock and i dont know if it comes with a pistol grip or not, but I'd make sure you have one on it.

An AR with a Eotech red dot would work too. Easy to operate and lightweight with minimal recoil. Only issue would be overpenatration, especially with a small child in the house.

VIP Member
    Under stress is tough to overcome with a handgun, so perhaps a decent quality 410 shotgun will do the trick. It provides a secure feel to the shooter and won't send her backwards when fired. I don’t own one but I’m sure someone here on the forum knows of a good quality brand/model.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would get her a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum revolver with a 3.06" barrel.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Sometimes we over-think things. More often than not actually. Then there are those times we might feel right thinking for someone else.

Obviously I carry when out of the house, so that led me to ponder what am I doing leaving my wife (and 1 year old daughter) home with no means of defense? I'm going to talk to her tonight, I'm sure she'll ask about pepper spray/taser or whatever but I'd feel better if she had a weapon at home. We live in a neighborhood where the houses aren't far apart (50ft or so). Would pepper spray make sense? She could stop an intruder temporarily to leave the house or try to get away. Another concern would be how well she would do under pressure and aiming the weapon. She's shot a .22 pistol before but we all know that's like shooting an air soft.

Id appreciate any pointers here on what to pursue for a home defense weapon for my wife. I'm open to all suggestions. We live in a nice neighborhood and practice good security with door/window locking. not answering for strangers unless im home, etc. I would just feel better if she had something at home with her.

thanks folks.
    Granted......we'd all feel better for our family at home (while we're away) to have the best means at their disposal for protecting themselves.
    You can't lead a horse to water and make them drink.
    You......as a family need to sit down and talk. Communication is key. Find out what's going to be acceptable to everyone involved. A family is a team. You alone don't make the team. Maybe a nice little junior slugger made out of solid oak would do the trick when you're not there with your .45. The turkey carving knife shouldn't be put away until the upcoming Thanksgiving meal. Many ways you can come to terms with your loved ones and standing their ground when you're not there without you putting something in their hands. Just like living in a two story house and going through a fire drill. IMO....you all need to talk. Telling them what they should do leaves out the aspect of them doing what they can do when confronted. Don't over-think things. You and your family need a game plan and that's all. Keep it simple.

short shotgun ... in a high stress situation, she won't miss.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links