Vacation Carry: Cabin, No guns allowed...........

This is a discussion on Vacation Carry: Cabin, No guns allowed........... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello All So the GF and I like weekend getaways and such and one spot we are growing more and more fond of the Hocking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Carry: Cabin, No guns allowed...........

Hello All

So the GF and I like weekend getaways and such and one spot we are growing more and more fond of the Hocking Hills area of Ohio. I dont have an OH CHL. We have a place where we rent a cabin from that we like a LOT but they "NO gun" rule on the property. Now for a 3 night stay there Id hate be unarmed in a Cabin, in the middle of the woods, who knows what id run into. Its about a 400 acre property and the owners live on the front of whilst the cabin(s) are towards the rear. The owners dont come back and bother you either. So it would be very easy to bring a pistol or ever a shotgun into the cabin. It would be concealed in a bag next to or under a bed and only would see the light of day in case of an emergency. Would you guys obey the rules and find another means of protection or would you carry a JIC piece?

Thanks for the input

Find another place to stay.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Considered however most places in the area have that rule and we get a great deal and superb experience while we are there. The GF and I just want to feel more secure at night.

Well, I wouldn't bring a shotgun or anything you'd leave unattended in the cabin while you are outside.

Not sure what part of concealed carry is not understood?

You can take it from there, but you would have to know what the Ohio signage rules are? Is it a crime? If so, I'd look for another place to stay.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Yeah, like the others have stated, I'd find another place to spend the time and money. I'd also let the owner know why.

Cabin in the woods with a no weapons policy;
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yeah, like the others have stated, I'd find another place to spend the time and money. I'd also let the owner know why.

Cabin in the woods with a no weapons policy;

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell them that's the reason, and that you have found more accommodating hosts ,

"I too have a certain idea of America. Moreover, I would not feel entitled to say that of any other country, except my own. This is not just sentiment, though I always feel ten years younger - despite the jet-lag - when I set foot on American soil: there is something so positive, generous, and open about the people - and everything actually works. I also feel, though, that I have in a sense a share of America." -- Thatcher,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Use your best judgement....YOU have to deal with the consequences.

I would do everything within my power to ensure the safety and security of my loved ones.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    +1 exactly

You actually read the rules? 1st mistake.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Simple rule...

NO GUNS? = NO MONEY!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Has crime in the area gone up to where you don't feel comfortable now, but you previously did?
    I would either not go, or realize that there are many places you go that do not allow weapons, courthouses to name one. Some workplaces as others have mentioned. IMO it's always a gamble not being armed, so I would look at the risk factor vs your state of mind. If you really feel you should be armed to go there this time, and they have that rule in place, I wouldn't go. That's me though. I leave my gun behind when I ride my bike into NY. It's just the way it is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Has crime in the area gone up to where you don't feel comfortable now, but you previously did?
    I would either not go, or realize that there are many places you go that do not allow weapons, courthouses to name one. Some workplaces as others have mentioned. IMO it's always a gamble not being armed, so I would look at the risk factor vs your state of mind. If you really feel you should be armed to go there this time, and they have that rule in place, I wouldn't go. That's me though. I leave my gun behind when I ride my bike into NY. It's just the way it is.
    I think you are really quite on target here. If the cabin is considered a generally safe place to be, you can go ahead and stay there and play the odds that you will in all probability remain safe. We do that all the time when we go to places where guns are not permitted. If you feel you need the gun because the cabin and environs are not safe you should not go there at all--- because you shouldn't let your gun give you courage or foolishness to do something you wouldn't consider prudent.

What you can do now depends entirely on the terms of your agreement with whoever owns the cabin. If you can get out of whatever agreement you have, or are willing to forgo a deposit etc., find a place more to your liking and let your money do your talking.

Still, our world isn't yet that totally messed up that you (or any of us) can't take reasonable chances that we will be OK and will not need our gun.

So, give some more thought to the real safety issues if any. If there are legitimate concerns beyond those of an unusual and rare random act, do not go. If there aren't, go and have a good time or ask for your deposit back.

By sticking to the State Park system in Texas, whether in a tent, RV, or cabin, you can carry concealed. Most private landowners that offer up cabins, bed and breakfasts, etc., don't perform the requisite legal posting required here in our state. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not an issue around here unless you go to a non-State of Texas park (Corp of Engineers parks or lakes don't allow).

I hope you find a place you can enjoy your vacations without having to go unprotected.

cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links