Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges - Page 2

Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges

This is a discussion on Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by qdoggydogg I just find it amazing that with VA law a guy can basically come into my house, and I can tell ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by qdoggydogg View Post
    I just find it amazing that with VA law a guy can basically come into my house, and I can tell him to stop or I'll shoot, I have a gun, get out Frances, but as long as there are no threats to my life he can just continue to go through my house with his hands up, and go through my drawers looking for stuff taking whatever he wants, and the walk out the door, and I can't shoot him. Well I mean I can shoot him but I would be facing charges for attempted murder. It's ridiculous, and the more liberal judges would lean to charge me rather than the robber.
    Read a bit more... Demonstrated intent... Nothing in the law says you have to PROVE he/she was trying to kill you. If someone forces their way into your home and continues past your warnings unheeded they've demonstrated clear intent as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 1st, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I can't have sympathy for the thief... just can't. However, I think a baseball bat would have sufficed.

Don't think it's good to shoot or kill someone over a dog box.... but he could have taken a bat and whacked him a litlte if he tried to run away and held him until police arrived.
    The victim, Mr. Duck, doesn't sound like he be up for much bat swinging, being just out of surgery on left arm...probably had to shoot one-handed. I personally don't have baseball bats at my house, I have real weapons...and that's what the BG will see in my hand...and in TX our lawmakers recognize the rights of property owners to defend not just themselves but their property as well. Not sure if I'd have shot at a guy trying to steal a dog box, but it's nice to know in advance that it's an option, and this is what makes some folks respect the property of others. What was it Jefferson said about an armed society....? Oh yeah, it makes for a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Seems to me that if you go through life without stealing stuff, your odds of getting shot decrease.
    My thoughts, exactly!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I guess since he's a retired cop...
    Yup, he probably knew exactly how to apply the law and not get himself up the proverbial creek.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I thought Va. was a must retreat state?

And you could only use lethal force if there was an imminent threat of serious injury or death to a life?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quamaine L. Lassiter

What a name...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post

And you could only use lethal force if there was an imminent threat of serious injury or death to a life?
    Well that dog box was extremely heavy, that's why he was having trouble getting it into the truck. Mr. Duck was in fear that the box would fall and crush the poor victim, he was in fear for the BG's life. Good shoot.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

And "Chuck A. Duck"
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/reti...ont-be-charged

Duck was entitled to shoot at the truck's tires to try to stop the man from leaving, Ferguson wrote.
    WHAT!?!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Allow me to weigh in here being from Va and a veteran L.E as well. The facts of the story are basically the man articulated that he felt his life was in danger. If you can convince a judge of this fact or a Commonwealth Attorney of this fact prior even to having a trial your good. He did so, and he is good. Who knows what a civil court will say if the thief's family should sue.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post

short answer no to the first it's not a "retreat" state we don't have enough libtards on our legislator yet to make it like up north or in wackoCali and yes you can use deadly force to stop a person so long as you articulate it well enough. You just can't kill over property for the sole purpose of protecting property.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

As I have mentioned many times, ARTICULATION, whether through your own ability or your attys.

My definition: To verbally describe events and actions within an incident, without lying, to portray them in the most positive light possible, relative to your actions.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    http://www.wtvr.com/videobeta/04e3f0...ed-In-Shooting

Richmond CA says maybe a different outcome if it happened in his city.

Actually he's pretty two faced about the whole thing. But it's obvious to me that Mr. Duck would have gone to the Grand Jury at least.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    Who knows what a civil court will say if the thief's family should sue.
    Absolutely nothing since the "shooting victim" is still alleging that he sustained is gunshot injury in a drive-by shooting (to avoid burglary prosecution not doubt). Since ballistics cannot be done as the bullet is still in the perps head, they have no civil case.

It's great news that he was able to evade being prosecuted for the shooting, but I'm sure the fact that he was retired from the job had a lot to do with it. If it happened to a civilian I'm sure the prosecutor would not have been so easily "convinced"

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Seems to me that if you go through life without stealing stuff, your odds of getting shot decrease.

Thanks for the opinion inspector Javert.

Personally, I would never even think of discharging my firearm unless my life or that of my family was in danger. I don't think a $15 piece of made in china plastic is worth taking a life over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links