Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges

This is a discussion on Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-...marsh-road-cop I guess since he's a retired cop......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Man shot for stealing dog box in VA - no charges

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-...marsh-road-cop

I guess since he's a retired cop...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"Suffolk shooting not necessarily OK under Va. law"

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/suff...k-under-va-law

Not necessarily? With the law it's usually a yes or no.

Even more fun comments in the article. Check the poll out too. When I voted, 79 % of the respondents want to make this legal.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Seems to me that if you go through life without stealing stuff, your odds of getting shot decrease.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Does VA have deadly force statutes? A very quick look didn't find anything relavant, nor does handgunlaw.us give any reference to the state having any.

Maybe some one from the state can enlighten us.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

"Claimed he was the victim of a drive by shooting" tells me all I need to know. The dirtbag was steeling, knew he was steeling, and as stevem174 says above.....

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    If you make the risk greater than the reward you won't have as many bad guys. They don't want to die and most don't mind jail time as its nothing new for them, almost a family reunion for some or hang out time with their buddies where they learn what it was taht got them caught in the first place. IMHO stiffer penalites would deter alot of crime as well as armed "victims" in each home would help I think.

I can't have sympathy for the thief... just can't. However, I think a baseball bat would have sufficed.

Don't think it's good to shoot or kill someone over a dog box.... but he could have taken a bat and whacked him a litlte if he tried to run away and held him until police arrived.
    Last edited by Eagleks; January 21st, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Seems to me that if you go through life without stealing stuff, your odds of getting shot decrease.
    +10
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Does VA have deadly force statutes? A very quick look didn't find anything relavant, nor does handgunlaw.us give any reference to the state having any.

Maybe some one from the state can enlighten us.
    From what I always remembered was that you had to be in fear of imminent bodily harm or death of yourself or another. VA's self defense "laws" are all based in case law and common law.
    See here:
    http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/Virginia-self-defense-cases.pdf
    This VA Appeals ruling should help as well...(the real meat between justifiable and excusable homicide starts around page 5)
    http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinio...wp/0186091.pdf

Although searching around the VA Code some more I found a tidbit I never noticed before...rather interesting. I never noticed or must have glanced over that OR PROPERTY part.
    18.2-280. Willfully discharging firearms in public places.
    D. This section shall not apply to any law-enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties nor to any other person whose said willful act is otherwise justifiable or excusable at law in the protection of his life or property, or is otherwise specifically authorized by law.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I can't have sympathy for the thief... just can't. However, I think a baseball bat would have sufficed.

Don't think it's good to shoot or kill someone over a dog box.... but he could have taken a bat and whacked him a litlte if he tried to run away and held him until police arrived.
    You think a bat would not be considered deadly force? If I am going to use deadly force I would pick the one that would best keep me safe.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    +1
    And to those that say that no TV or dog box or other property is worth a life. Answer me this.
    Why don't folks bring criminals home from the store instead of a TV? If criminals are worth so much wouldn't we all want one? My neighbor is a criminal I would not trade my car for him.

Michael

I'd say Mr Duck was rather fond of his dog box and/or was planning on going hunting in the morning ? Can't stand a theif, and a lucky one at that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Anybody find that the Shooters last name was "Duck" kinda funny.
    Here in Texas you can be shot for theft during the night
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just find it amazing that with VA law a guy can basically come into my house, and I can tell him to stop or I'll shoot, I have a gun, get out Frances, but as long as there are no threats to my life he can just continue to go through my house with his hands up, and go through my drawers looking for stuff taking whatever he wants, and the walk out the door, and I can't shoot him. Well I mean I can shoot him but I would be facing charges for attempted murder. It's ridiculous, and the more liberal judges would lean to charge me rather than the robber.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 1st, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    We need to have a law in this state that allows this. I'm sure that crime would go down......
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links