VIDEO: SWAT dynamic warrant service results in homeowner shot dead, Weber Co. Utah

VIDEO: SWAT dynamic warrant service results in homeowner shot dead, Weber Co. Utah

This is a discussion on VIDEO: SWAT dynamic warrant service results in homeowner shot dead, Weber Co. Utah within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; District Attorney ruled the shooting justified. I have doubts. Does SWAT have no option other than shooting someone? Usually we see them going in with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: SWAT dynamic warrant service results in homeowner shot dead, Weber Co. Utah

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

District Attorney ruled the shooting justified. I have doubts. Does SWAT have no option other than shooting someone? Usually we see them going in with weapons drawn, which may preclude employing less lethal systems, however seeing a homeowner come around a corner with a golf club, from approximately fifteen feet away, leads me to believe they could have OCed him, juiced him or done a bum rush.

Yet another testament to the need to severely restrict these types of events. Immediately prior to the entry, there are at least 3 or 4 disharmonic voices yelling, "Police! Search warrant!."

If I was this guy, in the bedroom and probably watching TV, I would not know what they were yelling. They never gave him a chance to comply. All for a little MJ. Granted he was a law violator, maybe he was a dealer as suspected, but I think a regular warrant service would have worked better. Certainly there is a better chance he would still be alive.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I really fail to see how SWAT officers, wearing body armor and helmets, feared for their lives when faced with a golf club - to the point where they had no other choice but to shoot this guy.

I call BS on this one.

And seriously...did they really need to do a dynamic entry for this? I can understand a hostage rescue...but for drugs? Here's an idea...how about a stake out? Wait for the guy to come out and bust him on the street.

Guy's family are going to be millionaires. Too bad he won't be around to enjoy it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Shooter seemed trigger happy imho. What was the PC justifying a no knock? Drugs?Were there children in home?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I really fail to see how SWAT officers, wearing body armor and helmets, feared for their lives when faced with a golf club - to the point where they had no other choice but to shoot this guy.

I call BS on this one.

And seriously...did they really need to do a dynamic entry for this? I can understand a hostage rescue...but for drugs? Here's an idea...how about a stake out? Wait for the guy to come out and bust him on the street.

Guy's family are going to be millionaires. Too bad he won't be around to enjoy it.
    That would be too easy, not to mention they wouldn't get to do their rambo routine.

I would like to see no knock warrants outlawed except for hostage rescue. While a golf club is most certainly a deadly weapon (I wouldn't want to get hit in the head with one), if they just wait for the druggie to come out of the house on his own they could have him in jail instead of the morgue. But more outrageous than a guilty person getting shot and killed in this manner is the fact that it has occurred where the cops entered the wrong house and killed totally innocent home owners.

To me, totally unnecessary....... he hadn't charged at anyone in my mind, and having on a helmut and flak vest... I wouldn't worry if he did, as he could be stopped physically. Looks like a jumpy LEO to me, who shouldn't have shot.

Their yelling , was not clear to me..... if I heard that, my mind would be on home invasion and may react accordingly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A thought from my end, having never been a cop. If you watch the video without reading the story or responses first, you aren't sure what exactly is in his hands. The first thing that popped in my head with the way it was held was "sword" actually, it isn't until he is shot, that I saw it was a golf club. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the first guy in the door saw a guy with something in his hands, and an aggressive stance.

I'm not gonna say whether no-knocks are right or wrong, the only ones I have done are in the military, in a combat zone, which is entirely different.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You should familiarize yourself with the Tueller Drill then watch the video again and ask if you're okay with taking a golf club to the face.

The homeowner most likely thought it was a home invasion and was responding with the first weapon he could put in his hands.
    This is a prime example of why NO KNOCK warrants should be outlawed!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I call BS on this one.

No knock warrants are a great tool, especially for places and people who are expected to have drugs and/or weapons. Do you really want to give them time to destroy evidence or arm themselves? I don't.

The family will not win a wrongful death law suit (if they file one).
    The officer who fired thought is was a sword. I've seen the video slowed way down with a timer. In the time he had to make the decision, he made the right one. It was a good shoot.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

They don't do no knock warrants unless its a dealer,How about don't break the law and the PO PO won't visit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They don't do no knock warrants unless its a dealer,How about don't break the law and the PO PO won't visit
    As long as the cops NEVER get the wrong address and kill innocent people and don't tell me you don't know it has happened. I've heard the argument that it's only happened a few time from some. Would YOU want to be the one defending yourself against an assault like this in YOUR home.

Quote Originally Posted by giaodn View Post
    You should familiarize yourself with the Tueller Drill then watch the video again and ask if you're okay with taking a golf club to the face.
    Big difference in the Tueller drill and the way this played out. Homeowner was not advancing towards the cops who already had weapons drawn and pointed on target.

Tueller drill is nothing similar to this IMO.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This did not seem to warrant a 'shooting'...just how important was it to invade this home rather than to surround the home during the daytime?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am not in agreement with the use of deadly force going by what I saw in the video clip.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If given the chance he may have just dropped the golf club, instead he got three shots to the chest. From what I saw it was unjustified.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links