I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night - Page 3

I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

This is a discussion on I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Giant Schnauzer always manages to answer the door before me. No doubt he has thwarted at least one suspicious situation. I think you did ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

My Giant Schnauzer always manages to answer the door before me. No doubt he has thwarted at least one suspicious situation. I think you did great. If he had made 1 suspicious move or tried to open the door after I presented my weapon....I would have used it. Good to live in PA.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    This was about 3 days ago. As I was on my laptop websurfing and also playing some "Kool and the Gang" compilation CD, I heard an unexpected knock on my door at 7PM. So, I turned off my music, grabbed my H&K USP .40, got into a kneeling low ready stance using concealment and bellowed, "Who is there!!!". He replied, "Community Relations." I replied back, "No thanks!!!" After 5 min. of observation, I went this time to my safe room the rest of the evening in case the knock happens again. And glad it didn't.
    The area I live in is pretty safe. But for some unexpected knock to happen at 7PM is strange and can happen even in upscale areas. I am going to let the landlord know about this and also buy and place a "No Soliciting Sign" on my front door.

Thats a scary scenario, glad it turned out ok... after telling the guy no, he could not use my phone and then he proceeded to grab my door knob and try to gain entry would have had me mor eat a low ready. Definitly not criticizing, I would have had it aimed it right at him at that point. That was dangerously close to forced entry / home invasion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by killerangel View Post
    My Giant Schnauzer...
    I love the Giant Schnauzer! An excellent breed! I would love to own one.

Right now I have a Coon hound and a Basset hound. They are great alarm dogs and anyone poking around the house would swear someone was being being torn to shreds and slaughtered inside.

However, once entry has been gained, the Basset hound would be wetting herself and the Coon hound would offer to hold the flashlight for the burglar, and point out where the good stuff is kept. But as long as your on the outside, they are ferocious and sound like they mean business.
    mkphillips likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When I drove armored car it was amazing how many people would try and talk to you through the ballistic glass and then when they realize that they can't hear you. Reach For the Door Handle! And then look at me like I'm stupid when I wont open the door.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Right now I have a Coon hound and a Basset hound. They are great alarm dogs and anyone poking around the house would swear someone was being being torn to shreds and slaughtered inside.

However, once entry has been gained, the Basset hound would be wetting herself and the Coon hound would offer to hold the flashlight for the burglar, and point out where the good stuff is kept. But as long as your on the outside, they are ferocious and sound like they mean business.
    i think our dogs are related

LOL....our Corgi would lick them to death AFTER they got in....but before they got in, she sounds like a LOT bigger dog
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Now that's funny right there! Sounds like a couple of "watch dogs." They watch the thief come in, grab the stuff and then watch him leave!

My dog is completly the opposite. Everyone to her is a "dirtbag" and the chances of them getting out alive would be minimal. She is surly, cranky and downright mean and nasty. Those are her "good" qualities too. She definitely is a deterrent to say the least .
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

My Pitt-bull is the same- sounds ferocious, looks ferocious. Will hold your flashlight, and watch your back for you as long as you scratch him behind his ears for a minute once you're inside. But, I love him nonetheless.

I agree with Hopyard. I know people that have ignored the front door only to have the next sound coming from a back window or something.
    Criminals tend to want easy targets. They go in prepared for a confrontation, but I doubt they often choose one.
    Way to keep the wolves at bay.

To the OP, I think you handled it pretty well. This is exactly the reason that I tend not to trust anyone, ever.

We used to live next to I-10 in South Alabama. You ever drive down the interstate at night and see a house just 50 or 60 yards off the interstate, it's lights burning invitingly as you know you have hours yet to drive and you start thinking how nice it would be if THAT was your destination? Yeah, that was our house. It was pure hell. I can't tell you the number of numbskulls who broke down and hopped the fence and wanted to use our phone. once a cracked up scum bag walked up in the middle of the night while my wife and I were watching a movie and just tried to kick the front door in. He nearly got killed for his trouble and he ended up with about 40 stitches from our dog plus a free ride to jail.

No one whom I do not know very, very well comes into our house. And if you just show up and want to use the phone, you better be ready to be told no in no uncertain terms.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links