I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

This is a discussion on I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About 10:30 last night I had a pretty scruffy looking guy knocking on our door. My wife and I had no idea who he was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

Red face I had a dirt bag try to stop by our home last night

About 10:30 last night I had a pretty scruffy looking guy knocking on our door. My wife and I had no idea who he was so I grabbed my M&P and my wife grabbed her PPS. My wife went to the nursery to make sure the baby was safe and I headed out to see what the guy wanted. I only opened the main door leaving the metal security door closed and locked and asked what he needed.

He said that he and his buddy had run out of gass and need my help. He kept stressing that he was a good guy and didn't want any trouble. I let him know that I didn't have any gas for him but I would call AAA or a wrecker for him. At this point he said no and asked if he could come in and use the phone. I obviously told him no, and this is when it took a turn for the worse. When I told him no, he starte to say something and reach and turned my door knob which was thankfully locked.

During this whole conversation I have had my pistol behind my back. When he reached for the door I stepped back and brought my gun to a low ready and yelled at the guy to get the he'll of my property before he got his sorry butt shot. He started screaming that he didn't want any trouble and please don't call the police and started backing away from the door.

At this point I yelled for my wife to call 911 and I kept the guy in sight until he got into his supposedly broke down car and drove off.

I couldn't get the tag but I got a good description of the guy and the car for the police. I filled out a whole report and I sure hope this guy is caught before he hurts someone.

Needless to say it took a while to get to sleep last night, and first thing this morning I purchased a new camera system for the house.

I am now thinking that I probably made a mistake about opening the door but I felt pretty comfortable with the metal security door. I just really lucky he didn't pull anything when he saw my pistol.

Anyway, I appreciate everyones opinion her so let me know what you think. I'm a little concerned about this guy Comming back while I'm not home. My wife works out of the house so she and my son are home alone most of the day.
    Last edited by Back 40; January 24th, 2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Typing on the phone

Well sounds like your wife knows how to handle her PPS. I am sure her senses are heightened now also. I also would call the LE agencydealing with you report, and ask for extra patrol in your area for a few days because of this incident.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Well, other than just not going to the door you did OK. But, not going to the door doesn't mean you wouldn't have had trouble from him. He might then have decided the house was empty and tried to enter somehow.

So, you did about as well as anyone could. The only option to what you did is a tad expensive; installing a two way video-voice device. Few folks here bother. They are common in other countries where people can't keep guns in the home.

His grabbing your door is a sure sign he was a BG. Be careful. The dude might try to come back now that he knows where he might steal guns.

Even if you already have an alarm system installed, consider putting some extra glass break detectors on some key window and maybe an inexpensive motion detector in the baby's room.

Glad you were armed when you went to check and that your wife was armed.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Thanks guys, I had no idea how amped up something like this can get you. I took a good 30-45 min for my heart rate to come back down. I'll give the police dept a call and ask them to bump up the drive bys. Luckily we are right by a college so we get both our city police and the campus police covering our area.

I should also say that the turn out time was pretty dang good. They were there within 3-4 min.
    Last edited by Back 40; January 24th, 2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Spelling on this dang phone

Looks good to me. Reaching for the door and actually trying the handle was a HUGE mistake on his part. If he had actually attempted to draw on you he would have lost. Don't attempt to draw against the drop!

If you don't have a safe then get one and make sure your homeowners insurance is up to date. The cameras are a good idea but figure out where to backup the images off-site.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Cool

I think you did well. Having a speaker system and camera at the front door would be nice (I do not have one of those) as you do not have to open the door to see or talk to whomever is on the other side. Outside motion activated flood lights are good to have (I have those). A four legged security system is also good to have (I have one of those). The wife having her own firearm and knowing how to use it is very comforting ( my wife has her's). I am glad you contacted LE and made a report. I do not think this particular individual will be back as you showed him you are a hard target but you never know for sure. Continue to stay safe and alert.

photo.jpg
    Four legged security system in down mode.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would never open the door...........and never ever at night............have trouble ?
    Go to one of the neighbors houses, our German Shepard can't help you either.

Sorry...........
    bigdog44 likes this.

I have a metal storm door that I use the same way. My wife tends to not respond to folks at the door. I'm trying to at least get her to talk to them through the door. I don't want anyone thinking the house is empty. I can't say I would have done it any different in similar circumstances.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Well, other than not answering your door, I think you did very well. A lot of people remain locked in their fortress and would never answer the door. I don't know. I don't usually subscribe to that. My wife does not answer the door unless I am home, mainly because she is has a permanent knee disability from her job and has very limited mobility. She would have a hard time preventing a "push-in" type forced entry, if push came to shove, so to speak.

There have been times I have not answered the door, but generally, I'm a friendly person and try to be neighborly. Of course I am always armed and my gun is always in a holster or, in my hand when I answer the door. But again, there have been situations where I don't or won't answer the door.

I think if you have a policy of not answering your door to anyone, that's fine. However, for people who do feel compelled to answer the door, I have always stressed to answer the door with a gun at the ready! Always! And it's good to have a plan of action to deal with a "push-in" type forced entry once you do open the door.

As far as your situation went, I think you handled things appropriately. Including having the police come out and file a report! Had the guy simply apologized and left without incident when you offered no assistance, I don't think that would necessarily facilitate calling the police. But in this case, he got just a little aggressive and that is unacceptable. Good job on making a police report on that one!

Also, I believe things are very dependent on where you live as whether it's wise to answer the door or not. There are always pro's and con's to every decision we make. Whether a person answers the door or not, is no different. Be careful and stay armed with a gun at the ready. Even when at home.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Under the circumstances, I think you and the wife did fine. I agree re getting patrol checks
    While there is prudence in not answering the door to strangers and/or late at night, I choose to answer. I do not have a storm door, but I am more aggressive in my approach. I have a window in the door that allows viewing who is at the door while standing off to the side. I may open the door, I may not, depends. If I open the door, they immediately become aware of my one handed 870 manipulation technique.

A couple years ago I had a neighbor from the rear whom I did not know come to my door at 0230, to complain about my rear flood lights that did not turn off automatically that were interferring with his sleep. I apologized for the lights and told him I would immediately remedy the problem, after he nearly fell off the porch when I opened the door.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

.... he got into his supposedly broke down car and drove off.
    Amazing. Trust no one.
    When I was growing up, my friends went on vacation and left their doors unlocked.
    Nobody bothered a thing.
    You decide what has changed in 40 yrs. I say drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    (snip) If I open the door, they immediately become aware of my one handed 870 manipulation technique.

A couple years ago I had a neighbor from the rear whom I did not know come to my door at 0230, to complain about my rear flood lights that did not turn off automatically that were interferring with his sleep. I apologized for the lights and told him I would immediately remedy the problem, after he nearly fell off the porch when I opened the door.
    I bet he slept like a baby after that.... LOL
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    I think we need a dedicated forum category for ‘Dirt Bags’.
    Anyway, at least you guys were a lot more objective than that Utah SWAT team. I have that video camera arrangement on my ‘To Do List’ right after a new TV, clothes dryer, and hall bathroom toilet.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

To further explain a bit.............years ago I was confronted by a thug in the dark of the morning as he opened my unlocked office door right behing me as I was entering. I grabbed the door to block his entrance as he was demanding money...was waiting for the Push In......good thing I was armed but I understand well what can happen once the door is unlocked / opened and your there face to face. That will never happen to me again, as I said I don't answer if I'm not expexting you. As far as someone here mentioned about not wanting that someone to think there's noone home.....well, If that guy decides he has the right to enter my home with me being there...............not to sound like an Arse here but............It's On.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anyone at my door is clearly visible, so I don't need to open it to see who's there. I can't seem to get motion detectors to last more than 6-7 months. I guess the FL sun cooks them.

So it didn't take the fellow long to figure out he picked the wrong house, did it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links