Want to Buy Some Meat?

Want to Buy Some Meat?

This is a discussion on Want to Buy Some Meat? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was upstairs playing with my son when the door bell rang. I looked through the blinds and saw it was an older man with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to Buy Some Meat?

I was upstairs playing with my son when the door bell rang. I looked through the blinds and saw it was an older man with white hair and beard, nothing in his hands, no company insignia on his jacket, etc.

I ignored him for a few minutes but he wasn't going to go away so I went through the garage and came up behind him and asked him what he needed. On my way out, I noticed that there were a couple other guys at other front doors. He asked me if I wanted to buy some meat. As he was asking he started to get entirely too close to me. I told him I didn't need anything he was selling and backed into the garage with the thought that if he stepped forward I'd start making verbal commands. He made a comment about me already being full as he walked toward the street.

Hey, I'm a big guy and like to eat. What can I say?

A trucked pulled up with a freezer (yes, I laughed out loud) in the back and the gentleman got in.

I think I did well outside of two things.

1) I shouldn't have left my garage door open. With it open, they were able to see what I drive and my meager collection of tools and my grill.
    2) He should have never been within reaching distance of me but I didn't think he'd approach as quickly as he did.

Thanks to DC, I thought to surprise him from behind and knew critical next steps in the event that it did escalate.

I don't think that they were necessarily canvasing the neighborhood for houses to hit later but I'll make sure that my wife knows about it and that we're both prepared in case they want to pay a visit later.

You were carrying, right?
    Weird! If the answer to the above question was yes, you did pretty good although going out of the garage and closing the door may have left you locked out of the house. Front door probably would been fine, not so much exposure. Can't say I'd buy meat from a door-to-door with a truck chaser for health reasons.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have a brother-in-law that is a salesman who did that for a while when between jobs, the company he worked for bought overstock commercial meat and sold it door to door. You won't get any USDA Prime Angus but it is a decent value and not too bad, good for feeding a family steak for dinner and not busting the budget.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    We used to have them stop by occasionally but since we got our German Shepard they seem to stay away:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

No I don't but I have a few family members that do, let me call them......................... when they arrive we will find out if they have any warrants like the group that came through a while back did.

Your in my hood knocking on doors? I want to know who you are because you don't belong here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    I told him I didn't need anything he was selling and backed into the garage................ He made a comment about me already being full as he walked toward the street.
    Was he "joking" with you, or was he attempting to insult you since you denied his sales attempts.

I was outside working in the yard one day and a guy drove up in a company meat truck, he got out talking and told me how lucky I was, that he had one combo meat package left on his truck and was going to let it go for a greatly reduced price. As this guy walks out of his truck he goes to the rear to open the doors, since I'm a little hard of hearing I moved his direction and he quickly suggested I just stay where I was. As soon as he said that I was pretty sure he was lying about having one meat package left, in fact his freezer was probably full of meat that had been frozen so long it had turned white.

The whole scheme turned me off so bad, I told him I didn't need anything he had to sell.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    OK, that technique of meeting them outside the garage is something I do and have written about here. I usually leave the garage door up, but make certain the door between the house and the garage is locked.

My thinking is that basically if there is trouble I have some things to grab as weapons before going for the gun, and if he sets foot in the garage after being told no he has committed a crime in my home and I have more justification for using force, lethal or otherwise. (Your state laws may vary of course.)

I have had similar stuff pulled by folks I thought (with considerable certainty) were just casing the neighborhood.

One guy had to be told flat out that he had 3 seconds to put himself in the street or I'd put him there. He left really fast and politely asked permission to come retrieve something in my driveway.

Next day another guy, probably part of the same group, came by with round two. With the second guy I got tripped up by his insistence that I shake hands. I know. But I did anyway. Well, the thing is the first words out of the guy's mouth before asking to shake were, "don't shoot me." (Nothing was displayed by me either day, so I guess after threatening his bud the previous day he just wasn't going to take any chances on a misunderstanding.)

As for shaking hands, I was mentally prepared to deal with him physically if necessary, so while I did expose myself, I think he could tell from my attitude he picked the wrong house.

For reasons I don't want to get into here, apparently these guys scared the teenage kid across the street who was home alone, cops were notified, and we never saw them again.

So back to OP's self critique. I think leaving the door up is beneficial even if they get to see the meager stuff and yes you let him get get too close, as I did with the second guy, but hey, it worked out. Wiser next time.

Tyson Co does that here on a bi-weekly basis, have some good meat and good deals.

If we see the truck making it's 'tour', we just wave them down and tell them what we want. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

WE got meat guys too,in fact they actually have a store front I noticed a couple days ago,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I get these guys too, and no, I'm not buying any meat out of the back of a truck.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Wow I have never heard of anybody selling meat door to door. I don't know if I could ever bring my self to buy it. I guess the reason we don't have these guys is that you have to look at the live version outside my door so they must think I already have meat which I always do along with different wild game in the freezer too.

I like the tactic of coming up behind them I do that on the very rare occasions anyone comes to my house unannounced and it kind of surprises them so that if they have game plan from the get go their plan isn't working however I always make sure there aren't any passengers or this tactic doesn't work and now your back is to one. Thats when I just let them knock as long as they want and they can listen to the dogs barking.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You were carrying, right?
    Yep. I had my XD on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Was he "joking" with you, or was he attempting to insult you since you denied his sales attempts.
    It was definitely an insult but with little effect.

If I go outside...my 90lb landshark (big fawn boxer) is always with me. She is VERY protective of our family especially my daughter. Of course...I am always armed, so no big deal. We have the Kirby, Meat, Schwan's, Water Softener, etc etc etc that come through from time to time.

I have very prominent NO TRESPASSING and BEWARE OF DOG signs on my front gate. If someone is stupid enough to go through.....well...dummy.

I was also thoughtful enough to put a doorbell on the gate post. People who know us know to ring before they try to come through. Those that don't know us...again....dummy.

those people knock on my door every now and then.....even though i have a NO SOLICITNG sign big as a planet on my front door.......

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    i tell them I am a vegan
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links