Can a teenager use firearms for home protection?

This is a discussion on Can a teenager use firearms for home protection? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure how many people here are NRA member (my guess is a lot) over the years in the armed citizen articles I have 17 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can a teenager use firearms for home protection?

Not sure how many people here are NRA member (my guess is a lot) over the years in the armed citizen articles I have 17 reports of minors defending them self’s in their home with a gun (one being a 12 year old girl) who was home alone and the intruders apparently had plans to rape her, however she was a skeet shooter and dispatched both of them from the top of the steps with a 12 GA. No report ever concluded with legal consequences of these kids defending their home or them self’s in their home.

This is not my knowledge or legal advise just what I have seen / read over the years....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    My son is will be 17 on the 18th of this month and we shoot competitively on a regular basis and he does not have the combination to our gun safe. I told him that at 21 he will get the combination. If we leave him at home by himself, he will have his shotgun made accessible before we leave.
    This is the way I would deal with it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt any DA would charge a minor for defending himself or family within the bounds of his physical abode. You, on the other hand, may be charged with allowing him access (assuming TX requires guns to be secured from minors), to the gun, but again, I doubt it in a justified case of SD.

For me, I could live with being charged with failure to secure firearms versus attending a funneral.

Don't ask the father--research what the written law states.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Times are a changing.
    I received a BB gun for my 5th birthday and a .22 Single Long gun for my 8th.
    Was pheasant hunting with a 16ga. double at 10 years old.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    At the age of 11 or so I knew were my parents guns were at and was given orders to use them if someone breaks in. Not being killed trumps all IMO
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Sec. 46.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD. (a) In this section:

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the child's access to the firearm:

(2) consisted of lawful defense by the child of people or property;

Administrator
    Of course they can. When deadly force is warranted, all bets are off. The flip side is, if they make a mistake, guess who will be held responsible?
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 8th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Of course they can. When deadly force is warranted, all bets are off. The flip side is, if they make a mistake, guess who will be held responsible?
    That's the real issue, right there.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 8th, 2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: fixed typo in quote
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This is where parenting comes in. We make sure they are safe with their PDF and give them a narrow manual of operations that covers only actions that pose an unmistakable direct threat to their personal safety.

Many children have successfully used firearms in self defense. Either defense of self, or of a parent during home break-ins. I know of one 9 year old who shot a home intruder with a .22 rifle and killed him to protect his mother who was being beat up by the intruder. The law of self defense applies to everyone, regardless of age.

However, I wouldn't give any child the combination to my safe. But that's just my personal decision.

You would however need to check if there are any particular restrictions for leaving access of a gun around a child in your particular state. There may be repercussions regarding that aspect of law, however the child should be cleared on the actual shooting event if it was a justifiable case of self defense.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Depends on how mature the teen is, Handguns were a big step for me. I got my first one at 16, by the time I was 17 I was sleeping with a Glock on my nightstand with consent of my parents and now that I'm 18 and under my parents house I cc and oc daily.

My father was the one who gifted me the firearms and are under his name, Thought I would clarify since people on this forum like to attack posts.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Depends on how mature the teen is, Handguns were a big step for me. I got my first one at 16, by the time I was 17 I was sleeping with a Glock on my nightstand with consent of my parents and now that I'm 18 and under my parents house I cc and oc daily.

My father was the one who gifted me the firearms and are under his name, Thought I would clarify since people on this forum like to attack posts.
    Good for you and your Dad; although I am much older now my dad treated me much the same, he spent a lot of time at sea; I slept with a 12 GA by my bed to defend our home my mother and younger sisters from the age of 12.

This is a tough question. A 14 yr. old boy is at an age were his physical attributes may exceed his maturity level.

In my opinion, knowing how to use a firearm and knowing when to use one are two entirely different things.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Can't believe no one has mentioned this ... but leaving a 14-yr old at home alone is opening yourself up to a lot of legal issues on its own, specifically "endangering the welfare of a child". Leaving any child under the age of 18 home alone is illegal and you can be prosecuted. While generally speaking, a minor using a weapon in self-defense is not a problem ... you are leaving yourself open to a litany of charges should that minor have been alone at the time of the incident.

If there's a break in and you've bunkered down in a bedroom and given a guns to your wife and step-son and he happens to be the one to shoot the intruder .... I doubt anyone could or would charge you with anything.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Leaving any child under the age of 18 home alone is illegal and you can be prosecuted.
    What? Says who?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links