Can a teenager use firearms for home protection?

This is a discussion on Can a teenager use firearms for home protection? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need your options. I have step son who is 14 yrs old and he has experineces using all kinds of firearms. He passed test ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can a teenager use firearms for home protection?

I need your options.

I have step son who is 14 yrs old and he has experineces using all kinds of firearms. He passed test at hunting eduation coruse at age 12 and he is very good with skeet shooting. He started hunting with his grandpa since he was 5 years old. My step son and I go the shooting tournament 2 to 4 times a year. My question; is he allowed to use firearms for home protection? Like for an example if his mom and I are going out to eat and my step son is home alone. If someone breaks into the house, can he use firearms for his protection? The reason why I asked is because his dad, who is police officer, is upset with me that I let him know the combation number at gun safe. His dad doesnt agreed with me to let him use for home protection. He told me that I can get into trouble for it. Is he correct? (We live in southeast Tx.)

Let me know, Thanks!
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

I think his Dad is wrong technically (having been a resident of Texas in a prior life), but I make it a goal to stay out of Step-Parent / Parent matters. I don't know if I'd give anyone the combination to a safe. Just my $.02.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I would contact your attorney general and pose the question to him/her, or at the very least, what I have done with respect to firearms questions, is to e mail my state police, in Lansing Michigan, and they usually contact me back , via email with a satifying answer.

I quite frankly don't know the legal answer here in Mi. as well, but I don't think too many LEO or DA's of Attorney Generals would frown on it.
    I think as long as they are at home protecting the home, and their siblings/self ???
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would contact your attorney general and pose the question to him/her, or at the very least, what I have done with respect to firearms questions, is to e mail my state police, in Lansing Michigan, and they usually contact me back , via email with a satifying answer.

I quite frankly don't know the legal answer here in Mi. as well, but I don't think too many LEO or DA's of Attorney Generals would frown on it.
    I think as long as they are at home protecting the home, and their siblings/self ???
    no siblings, just himself.
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

I don't know of any law anywhere that prohibits anyone, regardless of age, from using any means attainable to defend their life. There may be side issues re access/possession, but not relative to defending themself in a justified situation.

There was a thread a while back about a teenager using his LE father's duty rifle against burglars/home invaders but I can't locate it at the moment. IIRC there were no repercussions.

As previously posted seek legal advice.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

No
    I also don't think you need to contact a lawyer or the AG. You won't get to the AG anyway, and you will most likely talk to some secretary that doesn't know the law. All laws are posted online and you should know where to look for them.
    Sec. 46.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD. (a) In this section:

(1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age.

(2) "Readily dischargeable firearm" means a firearm that is loaded with ammunition, whether or not a round is in the chamber.

(3) "Secure" means to take steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means.

(b) A person commits an offense if a child gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal negligence:

(1) failed to secure the firearm; or

(2) left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the child's access to the firearm:

(1) was supervised by a person older than 18 years of age and was for hunting, sporting, or other lawful purposes;

(2) consisted of lawful defense by the child of people or property;

(3) was gained by entering property in violation of this code; or

(4) occurred during a time when the actor was engaged in an agricultural enterprise.

(d) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(e) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the child discharges the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury to himself or another person.

(f) A peace officer or other person may not arrest the actor before the seventh day after the date on which the offense is committed if:

(1) the actor is a member of the family, as defined by Section 71.003, Family Code, of the child who discharged the firearm; and

(2) the child in discharging the firearm caused the death of or serious injury to the child.

(g) A dealer of firearms shall post in a conspicuous position on the premises where the dealer conducts business a sign that contains the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height:

"IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE, TRANSPORT, OR ABANDON AN UNSECURED FIREARM IN A PLACE WHERE CHILDREN ARE LIKELY TO BE AND CAN OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE FIREARM."
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Under Texas law, if a child (anyone under 17) can gain access to a firearm and either a) kills themselves or b) someone else; the parent/guardian can be charged. The simple act of allowing a minor access to the weapon is a misdemeanor. But for home defense I don't think is applicable.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Do you prefer to pay legal fees, or funeral fees?

How would his dad feel if his son was killed or seriously injured during a home invasion because he was unable to defend himself and/or his mother and/or you because the "child" didn't know the combo to the safe?

My son will be 17 on the 18th of this month and we shoot competitively on a regular basis so he is safe as well as proficient with firearms and he does not have the combination to our gun safe. I told him that at 21 he will get the combination. If we leave him at home by himself, he will have his shotgun made accessible before we leave.
    Last edited by jwarren; February 8th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

This is not a single answer question. First there is no age limit on protecting your self from death or serious bodily harm. If a teen uses deadly force where justifiable then that part is good. That's not to say that there could not be charges brought against you for endangerment for leaving firearms accessible to minors if your laws cover that.

You can get multiple different charges or any combination of those dependent on the circumstances and the laws in your state.

The law and children are fairly clear....however, your posing a specific querry concerning home/self defense.
    There a many articles about 'junior' taking dad's gun and protecting mom, sis, etc. In a justified shoot, the age is 'almost' a non-issue.
    However, parents are responsible and if a mistake is made, child or adult, the outcome is costly.

Me, personally, wouldn't give the combo to the safe to a young'n unless I had his COMPLETE trust. At 14, I had the 'run' of my dad's guns........I grew up in the country and in slightly diffrent times.
    Safety and responsability were instilled from day one with me and my brothers. Be certin of your decision to allow him access to your safe.
    Having said all that, if a situation were to arise where a gun is needed, I'd want him/her to not hesitate.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I believe that this IS the bottom line here.
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Several years ago, right in the middle of the day, we suddenly had some "fugitives from justice" on the loose very close to our house. At the time, my son was in high school (soph?) we rushed home, I gave him my Model 19, told him to lock up the house, remain diligent by watching outside all around the house, and keep in touch with me via personal radios. I left to check on elderly neighbors and if they were frightened they could go and stay at my house, with my son "babysitting" them.

My son is very careful with firearms and a heckuva good marksman. I trusted him totally, I don't know if I busted any laws on doing what I did? I know my son and for me it was the right call at the moment.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

OK if you have to lock up the guns, then lock up the kitchen knives, baseball bats, shovels, rolling pins, garden hoes, loose lumber....

I agree with one poster in the sense that I would not allow him fee run of the safe, he does seem very responisble, but kids are kids. I would do like jwarrena dn pick a particular HD firearm and make sure he knows where it is and is competent with it. If it is a legit HD situation and he shoots, no competent jury will convict.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links