Mans Best Friend, Best Defense...

This is a discussion on Mans Best Friend, Best Defense... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is my first line if defense. Didn't teach him a thing but he gives a low growl when he hears people pull up outside, ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mans Best Friend, Best Defense...

Heineken is my first line of defense

This is my first line if defense. Didn't teach him a thing but he gives a low growl when he hears people pull up outside, a few short barks (meanest, loudest bark I have heard from a dog) if someone knocks or rings the doorbell, then he will come get us after assessing if they are still trying to enter, and calms immediately upon command. He's definitely the smartest dog I have ever owned. He picks up a new trick in about 3-5 tries. I feel bad for anyone if they still try to intrude after that because if he doesn't stop them, I certainly will but I doubt he wouldn't take care of business himself. Now the only thing to teach him is how to get me a beer like the dog from Shooter. Heineken.jpg

2. Remove Ads

If you have a dog that is kept outdoor never totally rely on it to warn you of strangers. While someone may be a stranger to you he may be your dogs best buddy. The guy that talks to him and brings him treats every night while you are asleep.

Michael
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Here is our "baby". She has hit 70 lbs and has a bark that will scare the bejesus out of you. If you ring our doorbell, she slams the front door with her body. I really dont know what she would do if someone tried to enter the home unannounced other than bark at them. While laying in the den with me, if she picks her head up and stares outside, know someone is moving around whether it is a neighbor or a kid walking by. If she hears the noise again, cover your ears.Maggie2.JPGMaggie1.JPG
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Show me a forum member that isn't a dog lover and I'll show you a three-dollar bill. My two lap dogs are plenty loud enough to alert me of anything near the house.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My red doberman (100lbs+)
    OK, normally I get jealous about guns on this forum, now you have reignited my desire for a red Dobbie.

Great Pyr, here. 150lbs of the hairiest, laziest dog you could ever encounter. That is, until someone tried to enter the wrong motel room one night. If you took "Missy," or "Liberty," and colored them white, you would get an idea. Loves his cats, though. When we get the laser toys out, for the cats, Jeep just lays on the floor and lets the cats run right over him. He is actually Jeep III

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    I never thought about it until I started checking out this site. Whenever there is a noise outside, or the doorbell rings, my Australian Cattle Dog goes ballistic. I often then yell at her "Shut up!" or "Quit barking!'

Well no more. Thats her job and I have been trying to deter it, shame on me.

So tonight I will be working drills with my dog, good girl when she aleerts me of something, and then teach her to relax when I control the situation.

I know its been discussed a million times, but a dog is a great set of ears and a great alarm system. Don't take it for granted like I have been.

My Wife does the same thing to our little rattie.... I counter it with praise and say good girl. She love it and so do I... I can't tell ya how many times I knew someone was at my front door long before the doorbell or a knock ever sounded. Heck it's better than radar; well maybe not that good, but better than my ears can muster anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

This thread has me so tempted to contact the Houston Doberman Rescue...........

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Here are our two four legged alarm systems:

Mercedes on the left is slowing down, but Mickey on the right is only about 5 and very vocal. We won't be without at least one German Shedder, er Shepherd.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Since this thread started, I found and got my white GS. Her mother is 90 lbs and father is 120 lbs. She's 5 mo's old and as tall as I am when she stands up..... with big paws that makes her thump thump thump thru the kitchen. A real sweetheart. But, she has a bark that would wake the dead..... and that's when she wants to play. We'll see how this all goes.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

<<<<<<<Well, when Max aint napping in the chair..he's a darn good guard dog !!!

Cool

My Max finally woke up from page 1.

Really do not know what he would do to someone but he guards the outside from the inside and has great hearing and a doberman's bark.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    Last edited by Old School; October 7th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
    tcon67 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Here are our two four legged alarm systems:

Mercedes on the left is slowing down, but Mickey on the right is only about 5 and very vocal. We won't be without at least one German Shedder, er Shepherd.

Beautiful animals ya got there...

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    My Max finally woke up from page 1.

Really do not know what he would do to someone but he guards the outside from the inside and has great hearing and a doberman's bark.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    Max is a handsome fella..

My little winnie does her best to be tough, but even her toys get the best of her....
    She likes to flip her toys in the air and this one got lost on the way back down..

Quote Originally Posted by ct-mike View Post
    here are our two four legged alarm systems:

mercedes on the left is slowing down, but mickey on the right is only about 5 and very vocal. We won't be without at least one german shedder, er shepherd.

beautiful dogs !!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links