Mans Best Friend, Best Defense...

This is a discussion on Mans Best Friend, Best Defense... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never thought about it until I started checking out this site. Whenever there is a noise outside, or the doorbell rings, my Australian Cattle ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mans Best Friend, Best Defense...

I never thought about it until I started checking out this site. Whenever there is a noise outside, or the doorbell rings, my Australian Cattle Dog goes ballistic. I often then yell at her "Shut up!" or "Quit barking!'

Well no more. Thats her job and I have been trying to deter it, shame on me.

So tonight I will be working drills with my dog, good girl when she aleerts me of something, and then teach her to relax when I control the situation.

I know its been discussed a million times, but a dog is a great set of ears and a great alarm system. Don't take it for granted like I have been.
    gottabkiddin and Eagleks like this.

VIP Member
    Dogs. 'Gotta love 'em.

Mine didn't take much training at all. He barks when someone gets close to our fence, and then shuts up when they walk away. He barks when he hears the doorbell, about two or three hearty rounds of "woof woof" and then shuts up. He never barks over stupid stuff, just unsolicited visitors.

100% agree they do thier job unless we teach them not to.............. my dad has a dog that will fit in your hand; but she will never let anyone sneak up on him...

When mine gives a legitimate "alert" balistic style, I give her an "atta girl", a pat on the head & a treat ... :)
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Cool

Max is the first line of defense alerting dad to any danger that may be in the area........ right Max.......Max.......

photo.jpg
    Last edited by Old School; February 15th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    I never thought about it until I started checking out this site. Whenever there is a noise outside, or the doorbell rings, my Australian Cattle Dog goes ballistic. I often then yell at her "Shut up!" or "Quit barking!'

Well no more. Thats her job and I have been trying to deter it, shame on me.

So tonight I will be working drills with my dog, good girl when she aleerts me of something, and then teach her to relax when I control the situation.

I know its been discussed a million times, but a dog is a great set of ears and a great alarm system. Don't take it for granted like I have been.
    Glad to hear it!

One thing I do every night is walk my dogs around the 1ac perimeter of my property that is immediately adjacent to my house. (I live on 5+ acres. But, I'm too lazy to walk the entire perimeter.)

I also take time to encourage my dog to "search" certain areas where it may be possible for a animal (two legs or four) to hide. (A cane or walking stick makes an excellent tool for this!)

By "tapping" the cane or stick around the area you wish your dog to search, it encourages the desired behavior. Be sure to offer up lots of praise and/or a favorite toy when she does a good job!

If your dog gets to excited and gets "sidetracked", bring her back to a "heel", calm her down with a "settle", then start over.

-

I have a Golden Retriever named Ruby, she loves everybody. She would alert on a BG and wait for a treat. Well, at least she lets me know if something or someone is coming, so I can have a treat ready if one is needed.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

We adopted a chow/collie mix last November, after years of the kids wearing Mom down to get a pet, and she's by far the best addition we've made to our home security/defense situation.

I explained to the dog up front that her sole job, aside from family pet, was to let us know when anybody or anything approaches. Obviously I knew I was just talking to a dog, but I swear that within 24 hours she was performing her duties to perfection!

Nobody comes close to the house without us knowing well in advance, and of course she gets praise and a treat whenever she alerts us. Best home security move we've made BY FAR! She's awesome, and I'll never be "without" a dog for long ever again.

My faithful old Black Lab just turned 13. He's dying of cancer (breaking my heart in the process), but he can still get out a good bark.

Dogs make the best friends...........
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

My red doberman (100lbs+) and Rottie mix (he's really a mutt) are the best home security. Even though I lock up my guns when I leave, I feel fairly secure leaving my home that anyone scoping out easy targets to burglarize are going to see my two dogs barking their heads off and think, "hmm, I wonder if the neighbors have a dog, lets move on."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I have two cow dogs as I've mentioned a couple times one a blue heeler that is very territorial of my house and myself and an australian kelpie that is alert to everything and only barks if something is wrong he has yet to be wrong. Just the other day someone dropped off a pitbull mix type dog that is trying to join teh family he is young enough to still be able to train how I see fit but we shall see he hasn't been tested yet.

Dogs are great alarms if nothing else.

My three put up quite a fuss, too. If they are on the front deck while I'm mowing the lawn and UPS comes by, he leaves my package at the end of the driveway. He's seen them up close and at full alert when he's come to the back door I'm pretty sure any unwanted visitors that come by when I'm away don't hang around very long.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    My faithful old Black Lab just turned 13. He's dying of cancer (breaking my heart in the process), but he can still get out a good bark.

I'm sorry to hear that Chevy. I lost the BEST dog I've ever known to cancer a little over 15yrs ago. I still miss him a lot!

I've been adopting/rescuing APBTs for about 20yrs now. I currently have the last two I'll probably ever own. I lost two dogs last year and my male is getting older and doesn't move that well anymore. So I adopted another female last year; and after I lose my male I'll most likely seek out a more "publicly" accepted breed to replace him.

IMHO; The APBTs absolutely the BEST animals you can own. But, it's just getting too difficult to go anywhere with them. After they're gone I'll probably consider a breed such as a "Lab" or GSD.

-
    jace33 likes this.

I love my first line of home defense.....

2946243438_e9dcba2a86_b (Large).jpg
    drkangl6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

I am so sorry to hear that. I had to put my dobie Lucky down in Sptember after 10 faithful years. I lasted 2 weerks and then went to doberman rescue and got Max as a 3 month old. I really can't live without a dog.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links