Upgrading door security...

This is a discussion on Upgrading door security... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Foo909 I've recently started a job where I will be away from home for a lot more than usual, with the fiance ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading door security...

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I've recently started a job where I will be away from home for a lot more than usual, with the fiance and two month old at home...thankfully with our rather large loud dog as well.

I was looking at beefing up the door security a little bit with something like this:

Home of STRIKEMASTER II Pro Door Frame Reinforcement. Keep your door from being kicked in.

for both the front and back doors, as well as these:

Shop Kwikset Polished Brass Residential Entry Door Knob with Deadbolt at Lowes.com

"Patented side locking bar technology offers improved security by protecting against lock bumping, an attack technique used to defeat conventional pin & tumbler locks. "

The back door currently doesn't have a deadbolt but I do have a small security chain.

Has anyone here used the Strikemaster II Pro? Would it be better just to get the cheaper strike plates they offer at Lowes that extend a bit longer for $6 a piece?. Also we have wooden/laminate doors, not solid wood. Are they even worth beefing up at the contact points or can they easily be kicked through?

The front door has a locking glass security door so that's not as big of a concern.
    DO NOT PURCHASE THOSE LOCKSETS by KWIKSET

As a locksmith and safeman I will not go into detail here as to why you do not want to install the Kwikset Smartkey locks on your door but I will say this, "If you go thru the beefing up of the jamb process, you're defeating the purpose by installing this style lock."

But in good faith I would say that anyone could do a search on the internet to find out why.
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

I don't care for Kwikset either and never buy them, I did however recently upgrade my doors after some break-ins in the area. Checked with a local security door dealer and nearly choked when the said theirs start at 1500.00 each.
    For the front I wanted something that would not cover too much of the mahogany door, the old guy at Lowes said "I have just the thing" and walked over to the display and said "watch this!" he reared back and kicked the glass as hard as he could. http://http://www.lowes.com/pd_56344...200%20-%20$400 I was laughing so hard because it was just unexpected but I couldn't believe the glass didn't break, it's laminated glass and eventually will break but not without a lot of noise and effort plus the triple frame lock is impressive so I bought one. (not sure why link won't work but it's a- Larson 36" Secure Elegance White Security Storm Door )

For the back doors I went with these- Grisham 501 Series 32 in. x 80 in. White Genesis Security Door - 50112 at The Home Depot which are a very good door for the money, come with screens plus have the option of buying your own deadbolts and lockset. Another thing that impresses me was how airtight they seal, a good storm door as well.

The guy at Lowes mentioned trying to get them to carry some brand of jamb shields but I forget the name he mentioned, he showed me in a catalog and I remember they also came with one that covers the hinge side. I found these online and it may be them-

Home Door Security | Door Jamb Security Kit | Door Devil™

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I installed them on all my exterior doors, however I bought a box of 3 1/2 in screws because of the gap in the framing behind the molding and I wanted good penetration.
    Spax makes some unbeatable screws that are well-suited for this application.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Looks better than stock for sure. I spend time in Europe and lived there for a few years and they’re way ahead of us on entry doors. The most common run-of-the-mill door from the local hardware store is like a vault door with multiple slide bolts and solid steel encasements. If anyone gets into a home/flat over there, it won’t be through a locked entry door.

At one point I wanted to buy and ship a window back to my home in the States but the cost of shipping was too high. Again, their stock materials exceeds our so-called premium offerings by leaps and bounds. Ok, enough with the soapbox.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Looks better than stock for sure. I spend time in Europe and lived there for a few years and they’re way ahead of us on entry doors. The most common run-of-the-mill door from the local hardware store is like a vault door with multiple slide bolts and solid steel encasements. If anyone gets into a home/flat over there, it won’t be through a locked entry door.

At one point I wanted to buy and ship a window back to my home in the States but the cost of shipping was too high. Again, their stock materials exceeds our so-called premium offerings by leaps and bounds. Ok, enough with the soapbox.
    I bet you can get some commercial doors here that are similar; but of course, you're going to make the front of your house look like the back entrance to a pawn shop. Plus, the cost is probably even higher than what they have in Europe.

Installed lock set's without too much problem, discovered that in fact both the front and rear door are steel with (foam in the front) (wood in the rear) in the middle. Had to drill out the hole for the rear door's deadbolt as it was non existent.

The Strikemaster II Pro did infact not fit the rear door, it sticks out too far and makes contact making the door pretty much impossible to close. I'll attribute it to the shotty construction some DIY'er or contractor did on the home before I purchased it. I'll just have to plane it out...no big deal really but I didn't have time tonight to make it happen.

This is reason I did not go with the Schlage lock sets, watch the video...I'm sure it is some what biased, but come on: Kwikset : Smart Security : Re-Key Technology Smart Challenge

Also the Fiance' purchased these for the windows: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Windo.../dp/B0047ZD22M as well as some Brinks window vibration alarms, couldn't find a link online.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    DO NOT PURCHASE THOSE LOCKSETS by KWIKSET

As a locksmith and safeman I will not go into detail here as to why you do not want to install the Kwikset Smartkey locks on your door but I will say this, "If you go thru the beefing up of the jamb process, you're defeating the purpose by installing this style lock."

But in good faith I would say that anyone could do a search on the internet to find out why.
    A quick Google search shows that those interested in learning lockpicking begin on Kwikset because any novice can do it. Yikes.

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IMO something like this is better than the screws and plates.

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
    Maybe I not seeing this correctly; but don't you have to be inside the door to position these?

If yes, then it won't help protect from kick-in when you're NOT at home?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Maybe I not seeing this correctly; but don't you have to be inside the door to position these?

Correct. A lot of people use them in their luggage for hotel doors and the like.

They won't prevent a burglary when you're not home, because as you stated, they can't be placed except from the inside. But what they can do is help defend against a home invasion while you are in the house/apt/etc.

Another option is to use them on all but the most secure door to the residence, and use the most secure door to exit.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post

If someone wants to tempt fate with my ADT security system in order to steal my 19 year old TV set while no one is home, they can have at it.

My concern is a break in when we ARE home. I don't care about stuff. I care about my family.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If someone wants to tempt fate with my ADT security system in order to steal my 19 year old TV set while no one is home, they can have at it.

My concern is a break in when we ARE home. I don't care about stuff. I care about my family.
    I agree with that. I've got it well covered when we ARE at home.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links