What if any law is being broken?

This is a discussion on What if any law is being broken? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet Really? File a false report? I see a guy enter a bank with a firearm so I call in a bank ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What if any law is being broken?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Really? File a false report? I see a guy enter a bank with a firearm so I call in a bank robbery in progress?

While what he's doin is uncertain, you best move is to make sure he knows he's being watched back. Continue to record, photo (as mentioned above) and document. He has broken no laws that I'm aware of.
    How is it a false report, you really have no idea what this person is doing?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hotguns View Post
    someone checking you out with binoculars?

Watch him through a scope...
    ^^^^^winner^^^^^^
    h/d
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Dukalmighty,
    Not sure what ya mean about tin foil hat comment. Please clarify.

Got new dog awhile ago who is starting to show some watchdog qualities. About 2 yrs old now. She actually helped in one incident when these guys stopped here and approached my wife. Just a boxer but does her job when I'm not around...

Ok, so you know who the people are that are watching your home, know they have a criminal past and such. Have documented them watching your home with binoculars but the police won't do anything.

That seems quite odd, especially if they are known to the cops and make their living by way of burglary. Seems like a very very odd situation. Around here, the cops would be all in thier business.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

faronwolf,
    I don't know what the cops did actually, never got back with us. Last phone conversation I complained about this guy and his sons driving by here. Assumed they knew the history. My mistake because they had new people who did'nt. Anyway dispatcher told me it was'nt illegal for them to drive by my place as it was a public road. I was seriously po'd and vowed not to contact them again. Got the impression they thought we were over reacting. If I had the patience I'd post every contact we had. Let me just say it was very clear to me and my family what was going on. I had some attempts on my garage but even though I suspect it was this bunch. Again we had no proof. All I ever managed to get was the top of someones head one night on camera. Useless. I abandoned any idea of catching them on the property at night. The risk of a charge on me was'nt worth it frankly. Wish I could link the thread I mentioned, not sure how. Still there but locked.We never had to deal with anything like this, kinda blew us away. Its really slowed down, but it does'nt seem they've given up entirely. In hindsight, I probably made it worse running my mouth. But its hard to be cool when someone puts ya through 3+ yrs of BS.We did nothing to deserve it, just moved to an area where they don't like "outsiders" I guess. Not knowing anyone put us at a disadvantage. Now we do and it is slowly starting to make sense. Sorry can't write a book on this.

Speaking as a private investigator. Are you rural or suburban. Either way, for example I sit on public roadways, for days on end and anything done outside your front door in full view of the public is just that, public and not illegal. Sometimes I'm bothered by the locals, other times I'm not, if cops come out, a statement of my purpose usually makes them go away. Or if I know the area well enough, a pre-emptive call to local PD usually keeps them from bugging me at all. Obviously without more details I can only speculate. Once the object of my observation knows they may be observed, you run into the risk of them filing a stalking report against you. (However, if I have legal reasons for the observations it usually never gets beyond someone getting cranky or forgetting about it in the long run, the people I'm watching generally have something to hide). But anyhow, without more info, aside from saying "those guys are freakin' me out". *shrug* I dunno.

Sorry to hear about your situation, that must be tough.. However, they have probably committed any crime against you (yet), so there probably isn't much you can do. You are doing the right thing by documenting when they are there, and there is at least a record with the local PD even though it didn't result in much. I agree with the person who recommend getting video/photos of the people.
    I detailed my history with this family in an earlier thread "garage security advice". These guys steal for a living, one is possibly still on parole/probation from prison(burglary related).Main offenders daughter convicted last year for burglary($30K).
    Do you have evidence of this? Do you know their names and addresses? If not, get their vehicle license (and picture of vehicle) number and try to get some information on them. If the people are what you think they are, they most likely have a driving violation with the vehicle. If so, this is an open record and you can find out who they are. If you know their names, you should be able to find out what the conditions on their parole is. They might be in violation of it, depending on what they are doing. If you can prove they are BGs, the police might be more likely to do something. It's easy enough for them to find some reason to pull them over if they wanted to.

CarolinaPI,
    One lesson this demonstrates to me is I guess my impatience makes me a poor communicator. When I would call police to lodge a complaint. Each time dispatch wanted a quick history, it was impossible to communicate all of the encounters we had in a short phone conversation. I assumed they'd remember past incidents or they'd be on there computer. I had given a chronological history to the senior officer. At that time he told me each incident was all they dealt with. Needed to pursue it in civil court. Again this contributed to my giving up calling police anymore.
    I inquired about a restraining order, was told in PA it was used only in Domestic abuse cases. Also told I could give these guys written notice not to trespass on our property. Then if LE is called thereafter the charge is defiant trespass.Then I was told to retain a lawyer for assistance or a PI. Simply can't afford those costs. I'm retired military, we both work but have hardly no disposable income.
    Gonna try to link previous thread for you guys..

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...520&highlight=

Hope this works. A little more background/ history....

You say cameras aren't feasable. Maybe try game cameras, like hunters use for watching the deer in the off season. Usually camoflaged, and inexpensive they are a cost effective alternative to security cameras. I see them around $20 or $30 which may be affordable to you. Shop around, even for used ones.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Stop taking showers with the blinds open. Just kidding.

Don't know what to tell you if you aren't willing to do some PI work to figure out who they are. Here , that's stalking .... period. Have someone walk out and give them a Protection Order when they are standing there .... but they also may be legite (see below) .

Me, I would be snapping shots of each of them with dates & times stamped on them (or security cameras.... some are very cheap) ..... I have lenses that will take a close up of your face if you are standing on the other side of our town. But, I would either 1) be talking to you, and / or 2) be watching you and follow you to where you go or what the tag number is on your vehicle to ID you. Most likely, I would just be talking to them to find out who they are and what they are doing.

Are you sure he's watching you. I had a PI doing some work for me video-taping my soon to be EX, and a guy came out his house (it's all on tape and funny) confronting him about taking pictures of his family, while the PI is telling him .... I"m not interested in your family , and the whole time he doesn't miss a beat on video-tapping the things he was supposed to be dealing with my EX. It's hilarious to watch the tape. But, he was daily parking in front of this guy's house to get a good view of where she was staying ... .... and the guy thought it had something to do with him.

So, are you sure it's really related to youi at all ? He may be watching someone else nearby with the binoculars. If the police know him to be a PI , they are not going to do anything at all, he's doing his job and not tresspassing. He could also be an undercover doing some surveillance.

So, are you really sure who the person even is ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Eagleks,
    OMG, I cannot possibly relate all we have experienced. I won't, there are things I won't discuss and countless incidents I cannot possibly detail here due to volume of writing. I'm not going to transcribe 3 yrs +worth of incidents. I know the offenders involved. Heck we live on a deadend dirt road, theres no other possiblities period. I should not have taken it this far online. No one could get the big picture with the limited info I posted. For that I apologize. I only asked ONE question. Anyone here familiar with PA Law? If so, please enlighten me if I have missed something. Any other state I could file a restraining order. Apparently not here due to it NOT being domestic abuse related.I should just talk with a lawyer, hard on a tight budget..

Note on game cameras- I would like to do this but am afraid it'd just be cut off tree. Then there goes $500 bucks. Need one without night flash visible to humans. All my trees are trimmed, it might be easy to spot. Did think maybe using a ladder to put it up in a tree pointing down at a choke point maybe.One would not be enough. Gotta see the property, accessible from 360 degrees...

Well, that gives more pertinent information. I know you don't know my background, but believe me, there isn't much I haven't seen or dealt with in one form or another.

If they are criminal related, they are normally more afraid of the law than the other way around. If the "locals" won't do anything, have you considered talking to State Law Enforcement sources ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links