What if any law is being broken?

This is a discussion on What if any law is being broken? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm starting to smell a rat....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What if any law is being broken?

VIP Member
    I'm starting to smell a rat.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm starting to smell a rat.
    Look at it through binoculars. That way you wont have to smell it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Note on game cameras- I would like to do this but am afraid it'd just be cut off tree. Then there goes $500 bucks. Need one without night flash visible to humans. All my trees are trimmed, it might be easy to spot. Did think maybe using a ladder to put it up in a tree pointing down at a choke point maybe.One would not be enough. Gotta see the property, accessible from 360 degrees...

Putting them out of reach is a trick hunters use to keep their camera's from being stolen, so yes it will work. Unless they bring a ladder. Some of them come with Infrared flashes. And some can be set not to go off or flash. You can get them to run video too. But they get pricey quick.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Went back and read the first thread that was refered to.

I think I will go home and put on a t-shirt that a gal gave me for Christmas. It has a canoe on it and says "Paddle faster, I hear banjos"

If they are driving past on a public street there is no law being broken. If you post your property with no treaspassing signs, then learn the PA law and your rights and use them. Other than that, can't offer you any more advise.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

atctimmy,
    I smell someone making a snap judgement. Lets here it. I love it, I ask for help and theres a few here suggesting I'm the problem. I'm assuming thats what you mean, if not my bad. Did'nt come here to entertain you all. Came looking for some different approach I had'nt thought of. Its easy to judge someone when ya havent walked in their shoes.If ya got something constructive I'm all ears...

farronwolf,
    Yeah, my wife and I joke about the resemblance to "Deliverance" living here too. Its the only humor we've found in this besides "gay burglar" jokes. I posted the property per advice from State Police. It does'nt mean much around here, seems most have no respect for private property. We are hoping to sell the place and move to a farming area about an hr from here. Nice people, less welfare trash types. We are good people and treat people with respect if its mutual. I retired from active duty in 2003, just wanted to move my family to the country to escape the rat race. Its not what it used to be. If your not born and raised here, people seem to resent you. We never experienced anything like it where we've lived before. People in town say were on the "bad" side. There are decent folks around, just seem outnumbered by types we've dealt with. The problem here with police is they are busy, only one patrol car in county at night. Others have told me of similar experience with them not being to cooperative. I used to call them for each incident because I always thought we should document everything. It quickly became apparent they thought we were a problem. We stopped calling. Where we used to live police would've been all over this ****. Heck on one call our screens on ground level were removed and placed against the side of the house. Responding officer suggested it was a raccoon. I told him, "Wow he was pretty smart leaning them screens nice and neat huh?"I have always had a deep respect for police until all this came about. Thanx for your responses they are appreciated Sir..

chiefjason,
    I was hoping to get one that sent video or pics to my computer. That way if its taken ya still got something to give police. We got tired of motion lights and motion sensor being smashed. It got expensive replacing them. The best setup was using a couple dummy cameras intersecting and placed up high. Then it stopped.Got a tiny camera .003 LUX for night use. Being concealed it draws no attention, but range is real limited. What confused things were harassment from kids behind us. Once that was resolved it was easier to understand the main issue with our other visitor(s). When I mentioned "positive ID" earlier I meant getting good video, usable in court. We have always know who the offenders were. Another thing reviewing tape each day became a real PITA. So now we just do it after a visit. Lately only an occasional driveby, stop and look. Nothing signifigant like in the past. Had a set of tracks in fresh snow two weeks ago. Whoever it was walked up driveway from road to garage overhang and back. Had to be between 10pm and 0600am. Game camera will work though if I point it at one of those points they usually stop, still photos better too.
    http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catal...ement%20system

How about this one?looks good
    Last edited by 1911srule; February 18th, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Someone checking you out with binoculars?

Watch him through a riflescope...
    I fixed it and that surely will freak him out!

(I'm just kidding....)
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

rks2,
    Most of the time I'm not home when this happens. I think next time I am I'll play it different and haul azz up there and have a talk. I've been trying to play it cool, but guess I gotta be more confrontational.

Obtain their license plate numbers.

Buy the personal info connected with the license plate numbers.

With the personal information thus obtained, buy those people's whole sheet from online information sources like www.license-plate-search.org (No affilliation - I vouch for nothing) and make sure you buy all the info available on this person including relatives, SS# and so forth.

Then your options become very open...but most likely a registered letter politely requesting he stay away from your property because you find his presence vexing will be the end of it.

People tend to get smart really fast once they are no longer anonymous and have potentially brought trouble home.

Even if the vehicle isn't registered to the right person, the driver will hear about it. Nobody wants a "Hey Roy! Why did I get this letter about my truck being on near some property taking photos?" conversation.

Mitchellct,
    Got there plate #, name, address, criminal history of our main offenders. But there using two others that I don't have plate ID for. I've seen 'em parked at there house too, but don't think its theres. Prob a friend, and thats what I want to know. Who they are and where they live in relation to our house. One guy in particular lives 1/4 mile down the road, his criminal history is 1rst degree burglary and bad checks far as I can tell. Three months ago he was arrested again for retail theft but only got probation. I was curious how since he had a previous felony. Anyway thanx..

If you really want to know about PA criminal law, maybe go see the county attorney, (that's what they call them here) explain the situation, and ask them. They probably won't be of much help, but that is what they are paid to do. Instead of calling the law, I would go to the chief law enforcement official, whatever that is in your location (it is the Sheriff here), sit down in their office during regular hours, with your records, and explain the situation just like you have done here in this forum, on a person to person level. Don't know if that will do you any good, but by going to the top, I would think your chances are much better than just dealing with a bottom-rung patrol officer or dispatcher at night. Probably tired of hearing this, but here, it would be the Sheriff's office doing the harrassing after a visit such as this.

Other than that, good idea to just quietly approach them, preferably with the wife doing the video work, while you ask them what they are doing.

Good job moving the valuables. Sounds like you are not so much concerned for your personal safety, just your property. I know it stinks, but just make sure your personal property is documented and your insurance is up-to-date, and let your insurance company take on the risk and worry.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post

I don't think you'll go wrong with that company. They are one of the top names. Cuddleback seems to be really good as well. One thing you need to find out though. The wireless cell transfer requires a separate cell plan to operate. About $30 a month and seems to be still images only. Yeah it's a pain to check them. But if you get 2 memory cards, you just switch the cards and check them later.

Here is the info for the GPS/Cell service, it's towards the bottom.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...spx?id=mfh-gsc
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I am confused. someone prowling around your home at night is not sneaking in to do the dishes. what is the "catching them in the act" going to do? if they make it in your home. they are up to no good and you can defend your self. PA can't be that much different than WA or AZ in there self defense laws.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    1911--I had a daughter and son-in-law who bought a rural home next to a nice elderly lady--things went well until after about 3 years her 30+ year old son moved back in, after being released from prison whre he was serving time for murdering his best friend. "Son" brought a few new "friends" along to sponge off of dear old mom--and my daughter & son-in=law were living about 100 yrd from their place--things went downhill real fast. Local LEOs were no help--(after we moved them out of there real fast, their place was burglerized, and my daughter called the sheriff's office from my own living room, and they refused to take a report--I was stunned). If others haven't been in that kind of situation, they really can't understnad the feelings........

One suggestion would be to buy a nice quality digital camera with tripod--now, something about digitals that I did not know, it that you can take a telephoto picture by holding up a binocular or spotting scope to the lens--kind of a cheap man's telephoto lens--it takes some practice to do it well. You can practice and get your wife and kids to take digital pictures of your snoopers--with the digital date & time stamp---you can take these to the local sheriff or county DA and have a sit-down, or take him/her out for coffee & desert, show your all evidence and communicate your concerns--give him/her a written copy of your concerns with an annotated courtesy copy to your own attorney.

Stay safe---too bad you can't use a couple of nice little OD Green claymores around your place.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links