What if any law is being broken?

This is a discussion on What if any law is being broken? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When a person stands on the border of your property and watches your home using binoculars? This has happened several times here over last few ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What if any law is being broken?

Question What if any law is being broken?

When a person stands on the border of your property and watches your home using binoculars? This has happened several times here over last few years. We don't call police, after some of there past lame responses to incidents. What I want to know is what if anything someone could be charged with if caught on video and ID'd? I'm thinking its probably only a harassment charge in PA. Only stalking after conviction of harassment. Anyone familiar with PA criminal law? Please , I don't want to hear any super hero responses. I am not going to open myself up for any charge by having a confrontation. Not going to break the law either. We log times and dates with description for now, and just stay wary. Hard because nothing will happen for a month or two, then just when ya start to relax we get a visit. Mostly during summer/fall months. We are fairly sure its related to past incidents with same criminal bunch. But hard to make positive ID most of the time. Even when we're able to get some video, its grainy. Probably would'nt be of much use. As for cameras, I'd need probably four fixed ones of high quality. Just not feasible. Frustrating. One neighbor noticed this happening, but does'nt want trouble. We have moved valuables out of our home to a safe location until we move. Much appreciated guys...
    Last edited by 1911srule; February 15th, 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammer

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can you provide a little more context? How big is your property (are we talking a quarter acre lot in a crowded subdivision or 500 acres of open field)? Is there a privacy fence? You seem to be familiar with them as you mentioned a 'criminal bunch'. What is the known history?

Wow; what an uneasy situation to be in...... Stay Wary for sure I have nothing to offer but I can only assume the long term goal is nothing good..... BEST OF LUCK!

Go outside, say nothing, walk up close to him, and start taking digital pictures and videos of the individual. get good face photos. Take pictures of his car and license plate. I bet he leaves quickly

if it is grainy, get a better camera.
    Stubborn and mel like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Go outside, say nothing, walk up close to him, and start taking digital pictures and videos of the individual. get good face photos. Take pictures of his car and license plate. I bet he leaves quickly

if it is grainy, get a better camera.
    You stole my thunder, dude . But yes, this is what I do with folks who behave suspiciously. It either draws out their legitimate purpose, or it runs them off (most of the time).

Call and report that you have someone scoping out children in the area of your house. Who knows, they might be doing that. You will get a response on that one, and the individual will be checked out.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    Someone checking you out with binoculars?

Watch him through a scope...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Call and report that you have someone scoping out children in the area of your house. Who knows, they might be doing that. You will get a response on that one, and the individual will be checked out.
    Really? File a false report? I see a guy enter a bank with a firearm so I call in a bank robbery in progress?

While what he's doin is uncertain, you best move is to make sure he knows he's being watched back. Continue to record, photo (as mentioned above) and document. He has broken no laws that I'm aware of.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Very odd and disturbing. Photos and video of this individual/individuals is a good start. I think written records including time and date would not be a bad idea either.

Good feedback guys. Never considered running out with a video camera, always sat tight and watched where could'nt be seen from. Waiting to see what they'd do. It all happens fast, when they see one of us they leave right then. Which tells me there checking to see if anyones home. I detailed my history with this family in an earlier thread "garage security advice". These guys steal for a living, one is possibly still on parole/probation from prison(burglary related).Main offenders daughter convicted last year for burglary($30K). They work together from what I can tell, and are real careful and damn persistent. They won't give up. Since one confrontation where I told the father I talked with police , they have not been so regular in coming by.The SOB told me then " Oh thats my sons doing that, not me". I told him hell yes you too. He had asked questions about my work schedule, route to and from work, ect, Also neighbors work schedule, very suspicious. What really bothers me is I found out they are gay and have a history of incest, ect. The reason it bothers me is my gut feeling on one occasion. The oldest( before I knew who these vermin were)was in my driveway to ask about a vehicle sitting there. My kids came out and he eyeballed them like we'd look at an attractive woman. I stayed cool and it was then I questioned each time this creep would stop by. During the worst period both of my sons had there bedroom window screen removed in middle of the night. We thought it was harassment from kids behind us(friends of said scumbags also). Now I wonder. I slept in there rooms with shotgun close after that. Boys were 13/14 at that time.A trooper came one night and watched for a couple hrs. Told me he saw nothing, suggested I was over reacting. I told him we live here 24/7 , you covered a two hr period. Heck weeks go by with nothing, cops can't do anything really. I still think burglary is motive, but we take precautions for other possibilities.I'm almost ready to give my house back to the bank. But can't let scum alter our lives that much. Its died down quite abit, but we still don't relax too much. After each incident it takes more than a week to get any sleep. The darn cat walks across floor at night I used to wake up. Just gotta move thats all. We tried to not visibly react to these things in case it were just harassment. I don't really think charges will do any good, might make things worse. Just want to be informed.We are safe as long as we are observant. Better now, but don't wanna chance staying here..
    Last edited by 1911srule; February 16th, 2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammer

Oh, house is rural surrounded by woods. Between two dirt roads and bunch of camps. They have watched from three spots , all about 100 yds out.Thanx guys! Good to be able to vent and brainstorm a problem amongst decent folks.

Do you have deer on your property? They may be scouting to score some venison(albeit would be illegal as season is over as far I know). Just a thought.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    What about voyuerism/peeping Tom laws? If you have evidence it is the same person/persons mutiple times, I think those would apply. Might get a better response from law enforcement too.

Might be time to buy a big dog.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So the cops aren't interested in burglars looking at your house. Interesting. Either overworked or on the payroll.

Get a big scary outside dog. Feed him along the property line, especially where the lookers post themselves.

I would also consider driveway alarms and trip/alarm wires with civilian-type flash bangs.

http://www.defensedevices.com/shotgu...m-signal1.html

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/popp...palindrome.htm

Maybe some boards with nails in them under the windows, heck even some...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punji_stick
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Make sure your tin foil hat doesn't have any holes in it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links