Securing a safe in a rental house??

This is a discussion on Securing a safe in a rental house?? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any ideas? The hospital we work for rents houses to employees. In this town, it is either that, or an RV. We have been in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any ideas? The hospital we work for rents houses to employees. In this town, it is either that, or an RV. We have been in the RV for 12 years now, and are finally outgrowing it. We will move into a hospital house (2 small bedroom and a single car garage) hopefully early next month.

One of our first purchases is going to be a gun safe. However, we will not be allowed to drill into the floor or walls to secure the safe. Other than buying the biggest, baddest, heaviest safe we can afford, does anyone have any ideas how to secure it?

Thanks
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

You could attach a piece of metal to the back that would make it impossible to negotiate a door.

The safe that I have in my home is not secured and with the difficulty we had moving it in empty, if the crooks can carry it out while it is loaded......the insurance company can reimburse me.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    A loaded safe that weighs in at 2000- lbs., sure, they might be able to get it out and into a truck,but they would certainly earn it.One thing a Liberty safe technician mentioned to me was this,he will only move an empty safe.If the load shifts in a heavy safe,it could easily end up on top of you.So a homeowner might arrive home to find a thief pinned under their safe.I do not worry too much about the anchors.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

If the carpet is thick enough, they'll never notice the holes.

I know from experience. Haha.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

A few extra 100 pounds of ammo and lead can make it even more difficult to move.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

A good safe, loaded with guns and ammo, is not going to be easily moved. Certainly not impossible to 'crack', but most dirtbags will not have the tools nor stay around to try and get into it. I feel completely comforted when I go away from home.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 21st, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I watched the gun show on Vs, and they were trying to get in to a Liberty safe, and the EXTREME measures they used and still didnt gain entry, I wouldnt worry about it other than it falling on a child or occupant.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Keep the outside of the safe waxed and wiped down with silicon oil.

You can also buy a modular safe and assemble it in a narrow room. I assembled mine in my closet and it's too wide to fit back through the doorway. Should slow down any thieves a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    A loaded safe that weighs in at 2000- lbs., sure, they might be able to get it out and into a truck,but they would certainly earn it.One thing a Liberty safe technician mentioned to me was this,he will only move an empty safe.If the load shifts in a heavy safe,it could easily end up on top of you.So a homeowner might arrive home to find a thief pinned under their safe.I do not worry too much about the anchors.
    If that is the case; we will be asked why we did not drop a warning safe on them???? hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    However, we will not be allowed to drill into the floor or walls to secure the safe.
    Depending on the surface (drywall, linoleum, wood, carpeting) and the location (closet, "mud" room), cleanly patching up the holes should be straightforward. As well, if the garage has a foundation then mounting the safe in the garage might be the most-secure location.

Other than securing tightly to the walls/floor/foundation, about the only other thing is the weight an accessibility of the unit to dissuade theft. If not anchored down, if it's light enough and accessible enough, with any safe under 1000 lbs they might well just bring a hand truck and cart it away for later opening.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have used a carpet cutter that cuts a perfect circle out of the carpeting. It is designed to cut out a burn mark, stain, tear. In the kit it comes with a heavy duty sticky tape that you lift up on the existing carpet slip it under and lower existing carpet then you install the patch from piece cut from back of closest or remit and place into circle and you cannot tell carpet was patched. (In your case the piece that you cut out goes back in).Some tapes use heat from Iron to melt glue to hold patch over kill.

Cut the pad. Use a hammer drill in center of cut circle, Drill hole, install Hilti bolt and secure safe down. Done!!! Nobody will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Keep the outside of the safe waxed and wiped down with silicon oil.
    I like this idea. Maybe even a very light coat of oil :)
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't hesitate to attach it to the wall. Drywall is very easy to repair. Just make sure you get at least two bolts into studs.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Thanks for all the ideas. We don't want to violate the lease as that could lead to loosing our jobs. I think we will go the big and heavy route. We have another safe full of guns at my parents house that we are thinking about bring out later this summer. I have played with the idea of bolting them back to back to make them harder to move.

Thanks again.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links