Alarms, Dogs and Camera's - Page 2

Alarms, Dogs and Camera's

This is a discussion on Alarms, Dogs and Camera's within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Alarm Guy What can I say? That did happen over 20 years ago. Our installers are all back ground checked, bonded and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alarms, Dogs and Camera's

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    What can I say? That did happen over 20 years ago.

Our installers are all back ground checked, bonded and insured!! Of course that wouldn't of stopped the BTK killer! He was a pillar of his community. Once we install, the new DSC and Honeywells are pretty easy to reprogram!
    I can name a couple last year..... where 2 different situations, the guys doing alarm installations went back later .... then raped and killer the female occupant. We had a few occur with remodelers coming back and burglarizing houses as well. It happens. And some of Rader's , weren't 20 yrs ago.... there are other cases he's suspected of but he would not admit to because they occurred after 1994 when the new death penalty laws went into effect. He didn't seem to want to admit to any that he could get the death penalty on.

I have a simple philosophy , trust no one else with your own security. Period.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

i was told this by my local pd at a block watch meeting, an experienced burglar is not detered by an alarm. it is just a race against time. they know that when the phone rings after they make entry that the police will be notified after the ringing stops. they are also aware of the response time for the area they have been casing. so, if your home when the alarm goes off, you will be there to take care of the threat. if your away, say goodbye to your t.v. our area has been a hot spot for day time break ins. some houses are hit twice, the first is to check out your stuff, the second hit, they take your stuff. i'm not trying to rain on your alarm parade and i believe alarms are benificial. just passing along some food for thought. we were advised to keep the house closed up while away, drapes and shades closed. most burglars don't want a confrontation, so they look for unoccupied homes. if they cant see in, they don't know if your home or not and will most likely pass on your house. we were also advised to put a radio on an A.M. talk station while away. the voices will give the perception someone is home.

Oh, I have an alarm... dont' take my comments as against them, I'm just cautious about anyone in my house hooking them up

I have one that sets off 2 - 135 DB horn sirens... that will get the whole town's attention, as well as the local police (who are 2 blocks away), as well as the dead in the cemetary outside of town. Small town.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As long as it scares them away and they don't hurt anyone or have time to trash your house, it is a success!!! We pay the deductible with the insurance company if anyone were ever to try. I have only had one house in 2700 entered. He came thru an open window at 2:30 AM and set off the alarm. She didn't get hurt!!! I had a customer who's neighbor came home at noon for lunch and the burglar shot her. As long as the siren scares them away and no one gets hurt. The police do the best they can in getting to the site asap.

We have 3 million people here on the front range. So we have lots of crime! Especially property crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Anything we can do to harden our homes (and businesses) is a plus. No guarantees, but puts the odds in our favor.

Several years ago, before retirement from the PD, I was tasked with conducting research on false intrusion alarms. The city & county were considering imposing fines for chronic false alarms and needed research on the issue. For my research I contacted state, county and local law enforcement, both in the United States and Canada. I studied those alarms on which an officer/s was dispatched and arrived on scene to investigate, both homes and businesses. I intentionally left out data on individual alarm companies, which for my purposes was irrelevant. Without reproducing the entire study here, what I learned was that nation-wide, including Canada, police responses to alarms that were false was 97.4%. Not all jurisdictions included in their data base the reason for false alarms, but from those which do, the most common reasons were; customer error; weather or other environmental causes; animals; and interruption in power supply. Seldom did I see evidence of alarm system failure. Post research, I learned that rate was very near what others had found doing similar research.

Why that matters, is the allocation of resources, especially officer availability. Because of the high percentage of false alarms, many patrol officers do not make alarm response a high priority, and seldom is more than one officer assigned to respond based on an alarm alone. Because of that, very often there is a long response time to intrusion alarms.

When the alarm ordinances went into effect, imposing fines on repeat false alarms, we saw alarm companies first contacting property owners or uniform private security personnel for the initial responses. If or when the private sector discovered that a crime occurred, they would then notify law enforcement for response, which were given a higher priority.

I'm not trying to make a point of any sort with this, just F.Y.I.
    PS: This was in an urban / suburban area in the Pacific Northwest. In my experience, in more rural areas, police & sheriff officers quite often are first responders to alarms.
    I have an alarm in my home that was installed by the previous owners. I have never and will probably never take any steps to get it reactivated. As a kid we had an alarm in my parents house and they serve almost no purpose other than racking up fines from the local PD. I think alarms give a false sense of security. As others have stated, response time from the PD concerning alarms is incredibly slow, if they even show up. Their best use would be to have them unconnected to the security company and serve as an alarm to only those in the home to wake up, take action etc.

Alarms seem to be generally bought by people after a break in in response to their newfound paranoia. I'll keep the alarm sign in my yard as a deterence, keep my two large dogs, utilize my multiple outdoor lights and stay armed.

But I won't be getting my alarm activated anytime soon, it won't make me any safer than I am now.

I saw a system once that fogs the house so bad that you can't see anything inside. That would be nice to have.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I have motion sensor lights, dead bolts on the main doors and a door stopper on the sliding door, 2 alert dogs (one definitely bites), several guns and an alarm sign from a major alarm company. So far so good...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links