To be or not to be locked and loaded. - Page 2

To be or not to be locked and loaded.

This is a discussion on To be or not to be locked and loaded. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My kids knew better than to touch the guns without permission/supervision. Now that they're grown and gone, I can do as I please in my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To be or not to be locked and loaded.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My kids knew better than to touch the guns without permission/supervision. Now that they're grown and gone, I can do as I please in my house.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Do you keep air in your spare tire?
    oakchas and OnePlink like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not to be locked, yes to be loaded. In fact, your HD handgun should be fully loaded with one in the chamber, so as to maximize your firepower. Whether 7+1 or 17+1, that's what you'll be bringing to the game.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    even with a child in the house, i would keep the gun loaded and in a drawer by my bed, the kid is not gonna come snooping through at night without opening a door and i would hear that and wake up. You would be surprised at how easily awoken a parent is.
    - I'm also a light sleeper, but I'm not going to take chances with my children. It's bad enough that they sneak into my bed and the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Never leave an unattended firearm in a childs reach, however when your in the room, it is safe. At least in my opinion
    - I put my guns inside of a GunVault. The risk is much greater that the child may harm themselves with a gun than I will need to have immediate access to my guns. Both my daughters (6 and 2.5) know not to touch my guns or knives, which is great, but there's no way I'm going to trust them. They steal candy from drawers and do all kinds of other sneaky things.

No small kids in my home either. XD-9 fully loaded with one in the chamber in the chest one step from my bed.

One point. Our CC instructor suggested your "night time weapon" be a step or so from the bed so that you have to get up to get it. That gives you time to get fully alert before pointing and firring. He could recount more than one incident in which a child unexpectedly entered a bedroom in the dark startling an asleep parent. The parent grabbed the gun from the bed side table pointed and fired killing the child.

Be careful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Having a round chambered won't harm anything in the gun. The only spring which is effected by a chambered round is the extractor spring, and it will be just fine.

More to the point, assuming that you'll have both hands available to cycle the slide if you need the gun is not always a safe assumption.....Matt

^^^B-I-N-G-O^^^^^^

And Bingo was his name-o!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

RKM
    Out of the three handguns I own, they're ALL kept +1. The USP is my HD handgun and it's +1 (de-cocked, safety off) in my night stand. My Glock 30 is my "not at work" carry gun, and it's always +1, in it's holster in my night stand beside the USP when I'm not carrying it. My Kahr, is always kept +1, holstered in my work jacket pocket. I mainly keep my carry guns +1 to reduce chances of an ND, always fiddling with chambering a round while getting dressed and it will prevent bullet setback. I keep my USP +1 because it's quieter and quicker. Though, I don't keep a chambered round in my shotgun.

No kids in my house. When there are, door is always shut with a child proof door knob. But a chambered round in the gun will not hurt it. If it did, my guns should be broken, and they're not :)

My bedside gun always has a round in the chamber. Like others, I keep it inside of a Gun Vault...
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

At night my .45 (15+1) is always condition 1 in a holster mounted behind the night stand. At all other times when I'm either carrying my other HD gun or in the shower it's in the gun vault. Kids don't get up at night anymore.

Mine is +1 in a SERPA holster in the nightstand. I have young kids and I have taught them not to touch our firearms without our permission. That helps, but is not 100% certain. The question is, could one of my kids walk across the room, in the dark, find my handgun, take it out of the holster, without me waking up? I just don't see it happening. And if you are so jumpy that you immediately go for the gun if something goes bump, then it may not be the best option.

What I can tell you about my setup is this. If you don't know what you are doing, you end up with the gun and the holster. The gun does not function that way. If you know what you are doing, you can hit the button on the SERPA and drag it off with the lip of the nightstand drawer. I've had to do it once when I though I might need it. Luckily I was wrong.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Always have my pistols chambered. My 870 I have loaded up but not chambered.

Mine is always chambered (DA/SA Sig) but in a gun vault when the kids are at home. When its just me and the wife it out on the night stand or on me in a holster.

One on the night stand,one by the lazy boy,one in the kitchen and one in the pool room all of them ready to roll. But my kids are grown and I live in the boonies so It's not always the bad guys I'm gunning for. Here lately it's been coyotes after the chickens, in a month or two it will be jack rabbits after my green beans and come hell or high water I'm going to have something out of the garden in the freezer.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a few firearms scattered around the house and the one on the bedside is always loaded.Things were a bit different when the kids were little but now there gone and everything is chambered.Same goes with flaslights I have 3or4
    flashlights in the house next to handguns.Sam's sells 2 flashlights called Rocky which are 6 battery that has florscent light it has two adjustments and a strobe setting for $30 is a deal.

Oh yeah I'm a flashlight nut too. LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links