To be or not to be locked and loaded. - Page 3

To be or not to be locked and loaded.

This is a discussion on To be or not to be locked and loaded. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My fiance isn't fond of the idea w/one in the chamber in the nightstand. Full mag inserted, not racked. Full spare sitting right next to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To be or not to be locked and loaded.

My fiance isn't fond of the idea w/one in the chamber in the nightstand. Full mag inserted, not racked. Full spare sitting right next to it. I don't see an issue w/racking it - takes practically no time at all.

Kerby - surprised no one mentioned for you - there's a bit of a risk with one chambered on your shotgun. Most, if not all, are not "drop safe" like most semi-auto's now'days are. It's best to have a full mag, not chambered, and (imo), safety off. I have an 870 that sits "cruiser ready" - with a cleared gun, close the chamber, pull the trigger, then load the mag tube. Now all you have to do is pump (and not manipulate the little lever to open the action) and go. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I do not think I am the one stop expert however carry or bed side I have one in the pipe at all times.......... I also have a loaded 12 ga in home with one in the chamber and the safety on 24/7.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    My fiance isn't fond of the idea w/one in the chamber in the nightstand. Full mag inserted, not racked. Full spare sitting right next to it. I don't see an issue w/racking it - takes practically no time at all.

Kerby - surprised no one mentioned for you - there's a bit of a risk with one chambered on your shotgun. Most, if not all, are not "drop safe" like most semi-auto's now'days are. It's best to have a full mag, not chambered, and (imo), safety off. I have an 870 that sits "cruiser ready" - with a cleared gun, close the chamber, pull the trigger, then load the mag tube. Now all you have to do is pump (and not manipulate the little lever to open the action) and go. Just my .02.
    I have an 870 set up this way. I also heard from a retired police officer from CA talking in the LGS one day. It involved a tragedy as to the need for "cruiser ready", an 870 will fire with the safety on if the receiver is struck hard enough in the right spot.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Cruiser safe or not

I am a NRA LE firearms instructor in handgun / shotgun, patrol rifle and tact shotgun. I'm also an instructor at my own academy along
    with my agency, a DHS federal security contractor. Here is how we instruct all officers AND civilians to set up their defensive shotguns
    whether they are for patrol duties of home defensive purposes. I strongly suggest you have your scattergun in what's called cruiser safe / carrier safe mode.

For a pump scattergun first of all check and recheck the chamber is empty by both visually and physically checking it. Next rack the
    slide and set the hammer down by pulling the trigger so it is ready to rack again when needed to deploy, now charge your mag tube all
    the way to max number of rnds with the safety OFF. At this point the weapon is in cruiser or carrier safe mode. The reason we do this
    with the safety off is that I have had recruits or students try this under stress with the weapon in condition 1 and hit the trigger and
    have a ND on the range, this will happen especially with the 870 system since the safety is in front of the trigger guard close to the
    trigger, not so much with the Mossberg system with the safety on top of the receiver.

Now with a semi auto scattergun the steps are the same except you rack the bolt and drop the trigger so the hammer is down (after
    checking and rechecking for an empty chamber) on an empty chamber with safety off. At this point upon deployment of the weapon
    it is ready to rack a rnd into the chamber. One of the biggest reasons I like the carrier safe mode is the psychological affect it has
    on a knucklehead upon hearing that universal "language" this sound has, he or she deff knows there is a world of hurt coming down if
    they continue their activity or refuse to retreat. Some instructors will say this will give your position away but if this in a civilian
    setting with a home invasion you really should NOT be doing any type of room clearing or hunting down the suspect unless you need
    to retrieve a family member and get them to your safe area or room, let the Calvary do this since they are trained and have the
    experience to do so.
    OnePlink likes this.

every gun outside the safe has one in the chamber or loaded to max of 6 rounds in the cylinder. Even some guns in the safe are fully loaded. You don't know if you'll have the time/ability to rack the slide and it doesn't hurt anything being loaded, guns were made to be loaded.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Round in the chamber (G17), & full mag plus a spare, all locked in a GunVault MV500 standard & ready to go at bedside - with a flashlight at hand, of course.

Why in the vault? I figure if I can't awaken enough to punch in my finger code, I may not be ready to handle a firearm in the dark & will have to come up with plan B - my EDC/BUG secreted away near the foot of the bed, holstered with a round chambered & a spare mag.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links