To be or not to be locked and loaded.

This is a discussion on To be or not to be locked and loaded. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was wondering if anyone here keeps a round in the chamber in their bedside firearm (semi-auto), while its stored in your bedside safe. Just asking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To be or not to be locked and loaded.

Was wondering if anyone here keeps a round in the chamber in their bedside firearm (semi-auto), while its stored in your bedside safe.

Just asking because I've been planning out my worst case scenario drills and thought about the time it'll take me to open the safe and rack my M&P40 is a bit long. So could the spring in the gun wear out if left with a chambered round for a long time?

Senior Moderator
    Having a round chambered won't harm anything in the gun. The only spring which is effected by a chambered round is the extractor spring, and it will be just fine.

More to the point, assuming that you'll have both hands available to cycle the slide if you need the gun is not always a safe assumption.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have one in the chamber all the time, and mine is on the bedside table, not in a safe. Of course I don't have any small children running around.
    drkangl6, maclean3 and b52ace like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I do not think I am the one stop expert however carry or bed side I have one in the pipe at all times.......... I also have a loaded 12 ga in home with one in the chamber and the safety on 24/7.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I do not think I am the one stop expert however carry or bed side I have one in the pipe at all times.......... I also have a loaded 12 ga in home with one in the chamber and the safety on 24/7.....
    I would like to add we have no children in the house....

Any firearm that might be pressed into a defensive role at any time should be ready to go as soon as you pick it up.

That's my two cents
    maclean3 likes this.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Thanks for the advise

Bedside safe? Psh. I sit mine on my cardboard box "nightstand" in my Crossbreed Supertuck chambered and ready to rock & roll. In the hall closet sits my Remington 870 with 6 in the tube, but not chambered. I keep it at the front of the closet and we're in and out of it enough moving stuff around that I'm not comfortable keeping it chambered. Once I get moved into an apartment in a couple months I'll probably change that and keep it chambered.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    If no kids in the house and no special issues revolving around doing stuff while asleep, keep it with one in the chamber and not in the safe. Split seconds count during a home invasion. Give yourself a few seconds by using an alarm, and keeping dogs if possible.

Let me clarify so there are no confusion. I do have a young daughter living with me. So that's why I have a safe in my bedroom. Ok proceed with the advise, thanks.

I don't have any children in the house, so my .45 is in the nightstand when not on my person during the day. It is always locked and loaded. I also keep my Remington 870 with a full tube but none chambered under the bed.

If I had kids, I would still keep the .45 locked and loaded, but in a safe that could be easily and rapidly opened for access. The shotty would also be kept in the safe.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JXONE View Post
    Was wondering if anyone here keeps a round in the chamber in their bedside firearm (semi-auto), while its stored in your bedside safe.

Just asking because I've been planning out my worst case scenario drills and thought about the time it'll take me to open the safe and rack my M&P40 is a bit long. So could the spring in the gun wear out if left with a chambered round for a long time?
    To be.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

A spring under static stress DOES NOT DEGRADE. Only converting the spring's potential energy into kinetic energy weakens it, such cases are: pulling the trigger to release the mainspring, which in turn drops the hammer and propels the firing pin into the firing pin return spring, during which time the primer in the round ignites the powder and the bullet flies down and out of the barrel which in turn propels the slide backwards while its movement is abated by the recoil spring, after which a round is stripped from the magazine and the magazine's spring decompresses slightly to keep tension on the rounds still in the magazine. All are examples where the spring is weakened by a minute amount; however, when the spring is either under no stress or is full of static potential energy due to stretching or compression there is no degradation of the spring.

Have you checked the function?

It won't hurt the gun to stay loaded...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    even with a child in the house, i would keep the gun loaded and in a drawer by my bed, the kid is not gonna come snooping through at night without opening a door and i would hear that and wake up. You would be surprised at how easily awoken a parent is. When you get up, gun goes on your side or in a pocket of your robe. Never leave an unattended firearm in a childs reach, however when your in the room, it is safe. At least in my opinion
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links