Having Illegals for neighbors - Page 2

Having Illegals for neighbors

This is a discussion on Having Illegals for neighbors within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Janq, what is this *67 business? Yes, it would have been nice if the dialed the police, but that isn't going to be done by ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Having Illegals for neighbors

VIP Member
    Janq, what is this *67 business?

Yes, it would have been nice if the dialed the police, but that isn't going to be done by people legal or otherwise who mistrust the police. And you don't have to be an alien to feel that way. Many perfectly law abiding naturally born and US raised people mistrust the police from one or another bad experience in their lives.

I know I'm uncomfortable even when I am making a routine report as per when someone broke into my truck. They rightly must start by questioning who the reporting individual is, ID, are you telling the truth about the incident, trying to rip your insurance company, and that stuff though understandable is unpleasant because it appears as if the focus of their attention isn't the crime you reported and the perpetrator, but you. Its the way things are, need to be, its not the officer's fault, but a few unpleasant experiences and folks understandably don't want to get involved.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It will hide your Caller ID from the receivers CID display (technically the number is still transmitted, it just sets a bit telling the receiving equip not to display the number). It will only work for residential lines however. The PD will more than likely have ANI (Automatic Number Identification) service which will display the callers information regardless if their CID is blocked or not.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

If you're upset (and you should be) because they didn't call the police during the burglary, try getting someone of that mentality to testify for the prosecution during a trial. It happened in my neighborhood two doors away. The guy across the street saw two burglars loading stuff into a truck, during daylight hours. As they backed out of the drive, they (the thieves) waved at the witness. Hell, criminals could care less about being caught, and the punishment is a joke. They know that. So, many witnesses to a crime feel no need to get involved. Sad, but it's been happening for many years. America is certainly changing, and not for the better.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRushing View Post
    Long story short....

My girlfriend and I enter her house today to find that it had been broken into. They basically took everything.

I speak a bit of spanish so i decided to ask the neighbors if they had seen anything. They had.

They saw everything.

Two black guys knocked on the front door, jumped the fence, and made several trips in and out of the house with the many, MANY of our belongings.

The neighbors just stood there at the window and watched. They didn't call the police and they're unwilling to talk to the police once they arrive.

"Why didn't you call they police," I asked.

"We're not from here and we don't like to talk to police."

Awesome.

I'm sending the police over there to talk with them anyway.
    First of all a lot of people illegal or not don't call the police when they see a crime in progress. See how many people will call the police when you are getting mugged in New York....probably no one. I think the question is why did she not have an alarm system? They don't cost much and they do work. I think you should be mad at her for not preparing for these types of incidents and stop blaming other people...illegal or not.
    "You fight the way you Train"

I have found Hispanics to be very leery of authority, and with good reason. They have fled a very corrupt goverment. I have found them to be decent, kind, hardworking folks who are just trying to do what any of us would do for our families. While I agree our laws should be enforced, including immigration, I do not think we should stereotype these people as bad. Instead, it's our Goverment who is to blame.

Sorry for your losses. Hope all was insured. Maybe if you get to know your neighbors, you can look out for each other. Had you ever reached out to them before? Smiled, waved, or acknowledged them? Just sayin......

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    That crap about them not trusting the police is just that. Crap.

They simply find it more important to stay here in the USA and milk the system, than they find it important to report crimes (especially ones that don't affect them).

I'm sorry for the loss of your belongings, OP. Mine and my roommates cars were broken into a couple of months ago, and various things were stolen. It was done in the middle of the night, while everyone was home. They were young/amateurs but they were smart enough to not try to steal anything off of my side porch. Smart probably isn't the right word, but they were scared/wise enough to not to take chances of waking me up. Had my neighbors witnessed this and not called the cops... I would be livid.

Funny side note, I thought it may have been some teens from the neighborhood (I live in a very very low crime area), so I went out back and dumped off 12 rounds of .40 at my target that I set up a while back ...at 8 in the morning (I don't usually shoot at the house). I just did it as a scare tactic. When the cops arrived, my neighbor was walking up the street. I waved him over to us and the police, and he had quite a shocked look on his face. I think he thought we had shot somebody, or something. I told him what happened and that he should check his cars. He laughed and thanked me because he knew that I sensed his waryness and curiosity. In the end, we (of course) still haven't recovered any stolen property, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

They simply find it more important to stay here in the USA and milk the system, than they find it important to report crimes (especially ones that don't affect them).
    Really? And what do you base this opinion on? I am interested in hearing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Telephone service business that has been in play freely available for two (back to the mid 80s) going on three decades now, but still oddly is not yet universally known.

Caller ID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How to Block Caller ID - wikiHow
    How-to: Blocking Caller ID Number

I've been using 'Star 67' (*67) to block analog modem dial-in (pre internet BBSs) and telephone CID functionality for ages, and it works.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    That's interesting. We make a habit of blocking our the ID on our outgoing cell phone calls but it just never occurred to us to do the same on our land line. OTOH, we don't answer the phone for folks who don't reveal both their phone number and ID. They get to leave a message if they aren't dirt bag auto dialers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

Most people find it beneficial to not report crimes that don't affect them. Too many downsides from being called as a witness before a Grand Jury, called as a witness at a trial, potential trouble from the actual criminal or his friends and relatives, police looking at you closely though you did nothing wrong. I wish it were different, but MYOB is pretty safe way to be. Sometimes Janq's *67 911 will be a good idea and sometimes 911 with full information is a good idea and not avoidable, but we live in a crazy world with crazy stuff and a certain amount of unpredictable consequences even when everyone is doing their absolute best to be honest, do their job, be a good citizen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRushing View Post
    They're breaking the law and taking advantage of our country's politically correctness, yes. Stealing tangible belongings, no.
    They're stealing my tax dollars.
    They're stealing the citizenship of someone who came here legally.
    They're stealing someone's SS number.
    If they get in a car accident, they'll steal the value of the car they skip out on.
    They're stealing money from the emergency room they don't pay for.
    They stealing the tax money they earn, but don't pay.

Why do you think for one minute they wouldn't steal your stuff?
    Doodle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that you guys are reading too much into it. The Hispanic neighbors did not call the police because that would've caused the police to show up in their neighborhood, questions begin to arise and sooner or later INS officers will be at the scene to deport them to their home country. I am from Costa Rica and when I lived in Texas I had no trust issues whatsoever with all law enforcement officers and I now trust the Bundespolizei in Germany. If you don't have anything to hide or haven't broken any law, there is no reason to fear the police.

If I were you, I would act as a Patriot and inform ASAP the INS that there are illegal aliens living in your neighborhood. Sure, there are many illegal aliens that are good people, they are hardworking, they migrated to the US to help their families and they are honest, but still...they are living illegally in the US, they are breaking the law and they are soaking up resources that otherwise should be enjoyed by law abiding and tax-paying citizens.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

It's like when my in-law's property caught on fire (they don't live on it) and their neighbor called everyone in town EXCEPT the fire department. Seriously dude?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Ric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links