Outside and after dark!!!

This is a discussion on Outside and after dark!!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh yeah! I always answer the door. I'm curious to see who wanted to see me bad enough to climb the 5' chain link fence ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Outside and after dark!!!

Oh yeah! I always answer the door. I'm curious to see who wanted to see me bad enough to climb the 5' chain link fence and fight their way past the ill tempered Chow and Husky.
    str1

2. Remove Ads

Nobody much knocks on our door. Ever.
    Used to be bothered by the religion salesmen occasionally, but they don't come by anymore since I fenced in the front yard so the dogs can cover both the front and back door now. (I'm with shooter1, lol 5ft fences and Chow dog)
    Relatives know to call. My sister in law walked in without knocking ONCE and figured out really quick that we don't keep useless lapdogs around here (like she does)

So yeah, I'd be really suspicious if somebody knocked, especially at odd hours.

However, I have no qualms about going places and being outside after dark. I walk my dogs after dark a lot in the summertime (it's the ONLY time to be outside!) Course the dogs generally keep the creeps away, and if they don't well.....
    drkangl6 likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I live in a small rural town. I do open the door at night. I also walk in the summer around midnight every night for exercise. Its to hot here to walk during the day.

Michael

Intercom FTW. I can answer the door from my bedroom if I want to. If I don't know you and it is late you might get told to GFY but that has never happened.

VIP Member
    I own the night. In fact, I charge bad guys a fee for using it.
    zacii and drkangl6 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Well, paullie, ee don't answer our door day or night, unless we know the person or are expecting someone.
    When we do answer, it is armed. Period.
    In the 5+ years we have lived in our neighborhood, our place has been cased six times that I am sure of, and twice people have tried to enter while we were home.
    The world is not a nice place anymore, but I do not live my life in fear, just smartly situationally aware.
    Until I get my crystal ball fixed, the doors stay locked and I stay armed.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

The OP sees paranoia in those not wishing to anwer the door? It can seem that way but it is still a good idea to exercise caution, especially at night and now that criminals are getting much bolder when they wish to invade your home.

I have a job where I must go to people's homes and it is always during the daylight, but due to so many bad people out there, I have been met at the door with suspicion and a lot of them armed, one to the degree of pointing his Ruger LCP at me as he opened up the door. Yet, I fully understand.

The person on the other side of the door may not be there for the right reasosn and is going to wreak havoc upon the unsuspecting. It isn't paranoia, it may be the neighborhood they live in and the type of people who live there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    If there is a knock on the door after dark the wife and I retreat to the safe room and call 911. I then load the shottie.
    Semper Fi
    I just don't understand. You go to the safe room not knowing who is at the door and call 911. What do you tell 911, someone is knocking on my door. What is the threat? I also see that you are loading the shottie, shouldn't it be already loaded.
    You must be in a really bad neighborhood.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

The OP sees paranoia in those not wishing to anwer the door? It can seem that way but it is still a good idea to exercise caution, especially at night and now that criminals are getting much bolder when they wish to invade your home.
    There is a difference between paranoia an being prepared. I consider myself as prepared as possible while still living a normal life and doing the things I enjoy to do.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I own the night. In fact, I charge bad guys a fee for using it.
    And give them a lead receipt
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't answer the door day or night unless I'm expecting you...........it's that simple and I couldn't care less who's there.
    Times have changed.....when I was growing up, we didn't even lock our doors when we went out somewhere.
    If you knock our 3 yr. old Male German Shepard will answer and maybe his 100lbs of Teeth might let you in.......Hmmmmm.
    Your choice...........
    Last edited by xXxplosive; March 12th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

I always answer the door, I just make sure I'm armed. Plus, my 65lb airedale is always with me (sure, she looks like a cuddly teddy bear normally but she can be intimidating when she is in protect mommy mode... just ask dsee11789). If I don't know who it is, I just open the door and talk through the screen door.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My rule is, if it is an unexpected visitor, I do get my gun first and look through the peephole of the door. But after 6PM, I still have my pistol at the ready except, I do not go in front of the door. I instead ask them in an authoritative voice behind cover who it is. And if it is not what I expect, I tell him/her, "Wrong address" and that's it. There have been known instances of residents around the country getting shot w/o warning just answering the door. That is why I have a gun with me and at night, I do not go near the door at all when answering it. To also minimize or hopefully eliminate unexpected door knocks, I also place a "No Soliciting" sign zip-tied to the door knob of my apartment residence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links